[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I took my car to the shop today to see about getting my CV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: cv.jpg (5 KB, 236x167) Image search: [Google]
cv.jpg
5 KB, 236x167
So I took my car to the shop today to see about getting my CV axles replaced. After a diagnostic look, he told me It will cost around $800 parts and labor included to replace both left and right CV axles. Its a 1998 honda accord. I feel like hes charging way too much. Am I getting fucked over??
>>
>>13985571
Nope. That's not particularly bad.
>>
>>13985596
fuck man. the car is barely worth more than that. but I cant afford to go buy another car
>>
>>13985613
Do it yourself, then? Or don't? Just run it into the ground.
>>
look on the accord forums for a DIY and look around for a cheaper OEM part
>>
Do it yourself.
One shaft shouldn't cost you over $60.
They're not hard.

And there are probably dozens of youtube videos.
>>
>>13985626
>>13985645
I live in the barracks. pretty limited on tools and resources and shit.
>>
>>13985657

Rent them.
>>
>>13985657

What do you want me to say then?
>"You're fucked buddy, might as well give up now."
>"It'd probably be easier to put a bullet through your skull!"
>"That's what you get for buying japanese, faggot."

Do it yourself, pay $800, get other quotes, or don't do it at all.
Or do you literally want me to drive to whatever bum fuck place you live and fix it for you?
I don't think you deserve it though.
>>
>>13985657

Then shut up and stop complaining?

Either fix it yourself cheap, or pay through the nose for a mechanic to do it. Beg, borrow, preferably don't steal, tools, use youtube or online tutorials, make mistakes, learn from them. Or give over a huge amount of money and have it done in a day by a pro. Simples choice really.
>>
Way too much. As a person whose done axles on Hondas in the middle of parking lots and the street in 2 hours at most, I could take my time and do each side in 30-45 mins in a shop with air tools and a lift, and im not a professional.

There's techs that have done axles in 15 mins each side. Remove wheel, axle nut, pop balljoint, put catch can under side where it mates to the transmission and slide it out. Reverse to assemble it, then remember to refill transmission to right fluid level. Done.
>>
>>13985657
Nigger go to the motor pool, you have way more resources available than most of us. You also have a good co-signer for loans.
>>
>>13985735
I don't even pop ballpoint unless I have to.

Scribe strut Clevis bolts in case it has camber correction.

Pull two bolts, push the lca down and pop it out.
>>
>>13985762
A lot of times you can't wiggle it out so I end up separating the lower balljoint and strut fork at the LCA. That could work too but most of my work were on friends Turbo 1990s Civic drag cars breaking axles at the strip and my buddy's 2006 Accord (axle rusted out and snapped pulling out of a stop) a few weeks ago.
>>
>>13985657
doesn't nearly every military base have a hobby shop complete with lifts, tools, and air compressors?
>>
>>13985950
Can confirm
>>
>>13985571
LOL I bought a snap ring pliers and some CV grease and service my own damn axles. I can't believe anyone would pay 800 bucks !!
>>
File: jake-front.jpg (195 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
jake-front.jpg
195 KB, 1024x768
>>13985735
Yeah Honda heritage of axle snapping and split balljoints would make any Hondafag proficient at that shit, like how most Honda owners can do a Head gasket in minutes
>>
>>13985657
You're a fucking liar even the shittiest non-training bases have fucking hobby shops with lifts. You're a faggot and I hope you die.
>>
File: IMG_20151114_094813.jpg (736 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_094813.jpg
736 KB, 2048x1536
>>13986704

>Complain that my head gasket busted, and that it will be a few day job.
>Some fucking honda fag comes in and says he has replaced his headgasket 3 times in its entire lifespan
>Says he can do it in an hour
>He's fucking proud of this

I mean I get it though.
>>
>>13986704
>>13986720
the cars are good

the problem is

1. making a 90-120whp motor hold for a few passes at x3-x5 that amount (break axles, pop headgaskets)

2. 20+ years of deferred maintenance and abuse

at least they're dead simple to work on and the parts are cheap.
>>
>>13985950
Depends on where tho
I'd assume most CONUS bases do, but training commands might be different
OP what shit are you
>>
>>13985613
Yea, but how good is your car other than the CV's? I mean, if your car is worth $1000, what pile are you able to get with that where you are? Near me, $1000 buys something I have to sink another $3000 into. Just repair or walk to work from now on.
>>
Not A Bad price. Make sure they aren't remanufactured axles though. About to replace my passenger side axle for a 3rd time because they keep using remans
>>
>>13985719
kill yourself or help the man you stupid assfuck
>durr hurr make fun of people who dont know that will help him and humanity in general.

you are literally lower than the lowest scum that comes out of my fucking sink drain. you wast of skin and space
>>
>>13985657
Then you've got shit else to spend your money on

Suck it up and drop two weeks pay getting your car fixed or go to the hobby shop and do it yourself
>>
>>13986856
>making a 90-120whp motor hold for a few passes at x3-x5 that amount

Not even the issue... look at 24 hours of Lemons, they destroy plenty of honda hardware (mostly head gaskets and axles, but their fair share of thrown rods, too) with bone stock engines.

The powertrains survive fine in moderate street driving, but they weren't designed to operate near maximum output for any significant period of time.
>>
>>13985657
If you had the tools, you could probably do it yourself for $200 at the most.
Why not google the needed tools for this?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.