[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so do i wet sand and wax after my clearcoat? or is it the other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1417403060241.webm (3 MB, 992x524) Image search: [Google]
1417403060241.webm
3 MB, 992x524
so do i wet sand and wax after my clearcoat? or is it the other way around? trying to paint in a scratch today.
>>
>>13983836

If you wet sand you'll need to polish before even worrying about waxing. And good luck if you don't have a machine polisher.

RIP your arms and you'll never get the wet sanding marks out.
>>
>>13983841
so it's clearcoat > sand > polish > wax then. those handheld polishers don't seem very expensive.
>>
>>13983836
Wot 'ave u painted m8
>>
>>13983841
>implying 3000grit isnt just polish sprayed onto paper
>>
File: rwa.gif (986 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
rwa.gif
986 KB, 350x197
>>13983857
i haven't done anything yet. it's sunny today so i'm thinking about doing it once it gets a little warmer. just some shallow scratches on the passenger door. white car.
>>
>>13983846
yes. sand with a lot of water and a block. you should probably wait overnight for the clear to cure a bit.

and they aren't expensive ~$100. well worth it.
>>
>>13983876
You gotta do the hole panel pal.
What for the paint matching n that
>>
File: 1433219567773.gif (2 MB, 319x255) Image search: [Google]
1433219567773.gif
2 MB, 319x255
>>13983893
but i went out and got the same exact color code matched paint.
>>
>>13983902
paints still vary by batch. probably not enough to really matter on your shitbox, but typically you would paint the whole panel.

if youre just touching up only the scratches it shouldn't matter, but if you're spraying a square it could look off in the right light.

but im guessing since you dont have an orbital you probably aren't spraying it.
>>
>>13983907
he'll spray it with a rattle can
I've had great results with rattle cans

some reason fags always spout that the finish is shit with cans and you must use a £10000 compressor and purpose built spray booth else it'll look like a toddler sneezed at it.
I just assume they must be shit at spraying.
>>
>>13983841
2000 grit is polishable by hand with a MF towel and compound.

3000 is even better.
>>
>>13983918
I sprayed my front fender with cans, 3 coats primer, 4 coats color, 4 coats clear.

Wet sanded the clear after about 6 days with 1200 then 2000 for like 6 hours and still wasn't perfect but looked 90% better than it did before it all so I took it. I compounded by hand, got a great reflection (better than I thought I would get with a spray can).

I didn't max it for a month to let it cure further, then compounded again and waxed with sealant.

But now the surface feels like it grabs my towel and it's hand to compound, so I don't know what's going on. I can polish with a low cut polish but compounding gets grabbed and it's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>13983932
Also let a couple days between primer/color/clear because the bigger the surface the longer to cure and you don't want paint that never dries so always give it enough time between mediums.

SURFACE PREP IS EVERYTHING. IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT PERFECT BEFORE SPRAYING ANYTHING YOU'VE ALREADY FUCKED YOURSELF.
>>
>>13983932
I think you should smoke a blunt and stop worrying about how grabby your paint is
>>
>>13983941
that'll make me even more paranoid mang
>>
good news guys, turns out the shallow scratches were just streaks of grime. as for the real scratches on the door handle i think it's alot easier to just order a new one and replace it myself for like 35 dollars.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.