[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wassup /o/ Im in a possibly sticky situation and thought id
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 20130823_091658.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20130823_091658.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
wassup /o/

Im in a possibly sticky situation and thought id ask some advice.

Im currently attending school and working as a private taxi to make cash to pay my bills. (live on my own, rents not in a situation to help with anything).

I drive a 1994 infiniti q45, and its starting to act up on me. Its nothing majorly noticeable yet, just running rough occasionally and feels a bit off. has a salvage title so im not gonna get much for it no matter what. Thing is since I drive for work, and to go to school, I cant risk the thing grenading on me or id be fucked.

Im trying to think of a way to sell this car quick and get into something else. Since it still runs, if i can get a grand for it I might be able to get something else, but its iffy. I may need to consider getting something id have to make payments on. The problem is I only make cash from my job (so no reported income) and my credit is in the 620's. I know people who are worse off, but still im gonna have a hard time getting any kind of financing anywhere. Does anyone know of a place I can get a car somewhere that isnt a buy here pay here scam lot? I just need something relatively cheap (less than 3-4 grand if im making payments anyway) that runs? I am living pretty much month to month so I dont have extra cash, id have to either sell or trade in the infiniti and go from there.

Any advice would be great. I live in the SoCal area for reference. Thanks guys. Pic related- why it has a salvage title.
>>
>>13981928
>I drive
>>
Drive it off a cliff.
>profit
>>
>>13981975

Not sure how that helps me.

brake checking a tailgater might however.

On a serious not however am I fucked?
>>
Just go to like a pick and pull. If you have them near you. I live in New York there everywhere.
Get a new bumper and trunk
Bang out any thing that makes the trunk not latch
Paint bumper and trunk
Sell it for like a G
Buy like a bmw waggon or a Subaru for like a G
>>
>>13981928
You are definitely going to need to go the finance route OP. You'd just be trading in your shitbox for another shitbox with different problems otherwise.

Your income will only be an issue if a bank requires you to PROVE the income as a stipulation for the loan. That may or may not happen, it's hard to say

What you NEED to do is see if your ass can join a credit union. CU's can be a lot more accommodating for people in your situation, the APR is fixed, and the rates are very reasonable. In your situation, it's going to be much better if you can hit up a dealership with financing in hand, rather than throwing yourself at the mercy of the dealerships finance sources.
>>
>>13981928
Student loan?

Not sure what the situation is like regarding loans for students in Cali. But that's your best bet if you ask me...

You must be paying for school somehow, so keep doing that, but keep that student loan in reserve as a car fund. If this thing gives out on you, use that as your financing. Sell this for scrap.

If you're lucky it'll last long enough that you won't need the student loan, and you simply pay it all back. Worst case you've got a very cheap loan and a different car to get you to school.

Generally (again, know nothing of Cali) student loans are a no-credit-needed thing, have good interest rates, and usually no payments until you've finished school.

Unless you've already drawn out your student loan. Then you're fucked. Look for other government help. Keep working. Try a different part time job if you can (not sure how well the taxi business pays there).
>>
>>13982068

I am a member of the Vons credit union since I used to work with that company so I can try there. I dont know if credit unions want income proof for car loans however. The only requirement you need to meet to be in the Vons credit union is having worked for them, and believe me, thats not a very selective group.

>>13982080

I have student loans but they go straight to the school. Im attending UTI to become an auto tech. The whole thing is on aid and loans. Once I get done with school and get a job ill be in a much better situation but for now im stuck.

Id fix the damn thing myself but its my only running vehicle so I cant afford to have it garaged while I turn it into a project since I have nothing else to drive.

As for working I may be getting a part time job on campus working in facilities. Id still need to be doing taxi work too however to pay the bills and save for something else.
>>
>>13982128
>Im attending UTI to become an auto tech.

Stop. Literally quit tomorrow. They are one of the absolute biggest rip-offs in the education industry. You could go to any community college with an autotech program, spend 2 yearsm and come out in better shape than UTI after spending a fraction of the money. Dealerships hate UTI techs. Most independent shops hate UTI techs
>>
>>13982128
>I go to UTI
you purposely got into $35k debt?

do you go to the one in Long Beach or Rancho?
>>
>>13982171

The one that just opened in Long beach.

I dont see why its a bad choice as long as you apply yourself. If you get great grades you can get into a manufacturer paid program and have a job waiting when you finish it. I have a 4.0 and 99%+ attendance and am doing well understanding my lessons so i dont see why its a bad choice. Wyotech was ripping people off bad but Ive heard alot of positive stuff about UTI outside the school. It seems alot of the people who didnt do well from it didnt really apply themselves. maybe its different on the east coast or maybe not. Too late to really quit now since Id have to pay all the money back regardless and have nothing to show for it.
>>
a 94 q45 eh?

Well first I'd look around and try to get a small car loan, something 10k or less. Then get something like a used Civic LX or Nissan Versa because lets face it, you're prolly poor atm and that's fine, nothing funnier than a mexican making 20k a year driving a 30k dollar mustang...

If you can't get a loan just learn up on your car and start looking at replacement parts. You can get entire q45 engines for ~500 dollars and working transmissions for ~ 250.
>>
>>13982143
This.

Do a 2 year program at a decent community college.
Get a 4.0 and then get into a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, whatever program.
Get a job as a entry level technician to support yourself through school that will also look good on your application to the make specific program.

If you're already half way through UTI or whatever then just stay, though.
>>
>>13982228
damn, was hoping it was the Rancho campus so I could go fuck with you

My buddy was the same as you, top marks and never missed a day, hell, he turned down various universities for UTI..he's selling houses now. Good luck, you're going to need it.
>>
>>13982237

Well im not mexican but it wouldnt be good to get in over my head on a car loan regardless.

Ill see about getting a car loan from my credit union. Im not sure if they would want proof of income however, or even if they would loan me money since I dont work for the company anymore. I know only a bit about credit unions so i cant say for sure.
>>
>>13982243
If you get into a manufacture program and do well you can make a lot of money eventually. BMW service managers make 6 figures.

Obviously an engineer will make more sooner, but not everyone wants to or can be an engineer.

You can't just be an unapplied retard and make money in any field.
>>
>>13982242

Im already 5/17 courses through (about 4 months).

probably past the point of the aid running out and going into the loans now. What exactly is a ripoff about it other than perhaps the price being more expensive than a CC? I know that there are alot of morons who barely slide through, get jobs, and do shitty and because they do poorly the school gets a stigma, but if I do well and know what im doing I dont see why id do poorly, your work speaks for itself.
>>
>>13982275

any of the manufacturer paid programs are the best from what ive seen. Id like to go into Porsche but Mercedes would be cool too.
>>
>>13982284
1.)You are paying scandalous amounts of money for an education you could get for 1/10th of the price at any decent community college

2.)Most community college auto tech programs will give you a better education

3.)all the lines they feed you about employment after you graduate is horseshit

4.)They have an absolutely terrible reputation in the real world. The service manager at my dealership basically refuses to hire to UTI or Wyotech students because they have all proved to be absolute shit, and this is pretty much the same attitude I have found at any service dept or private shop I have ever dealt with
>>
>>13982259
How much a year are you making as a "Private Taxi?" Is this just lingo for Uber or Lyft? I would think a 94 would be too old for them.

If you actually make a livable wage doing that then you should easily be able to get a small car loan.

Also, I'd be kinda pissed if I activated the uber-rapemobile and got some dude driving a 1994 q45.
>>
>>13982306
The manufacture programs are a must. They are they only reason to go to a vocational school at all, really.

>>13982284
Probably depends on the program you are trying to get into, but I know for BMW STEP you don't need UTI at all. A community college is sufficient and much cheaper.

Maybe other programs like Porsche have specific partnerships with UTI I have no idea. That's something you have to find out on your own and make the best choice.

But you've already started so It doesn't much matter at this point.
>>
>>13982355

No I do it independently. I started doing it before uber and lyft even were a thing. '94 is too old for them I looked into it before.

The nice thing is I make cash so I keep all my money, but I have no proof of income which makes it hard.

I average around 1k a mont, that plus a disability check gets my bills paid but leaves little else for anything more.

>>13982307

1) education in general is expensive, beats working to survive my whole life i guess.

2) What exactly do CC tech programs do that give you a better education? More hands on training? better employment placing? I went to a Mercedes dealership that hires alot of UTI grads for an event I did and talked to several of the Techs working there who were grads. I basically ignored the presentation part since thats all sales BS anyway. the techs I talked to said they were doing well and were happy with their jobs. A couple were ex vets who went on the GI bill, another was in a similar situation to mine.

3) Part of the what I mentioned above, but It seems like alot of how you do depends on how well you apply yourself. The guy who gets a 2.5 and just looks for any work after graduating is probably the one who isnt getting ajob as opposed to the guy who gets a 3.7+, does a manufacturer program, finds some experience while in school, makes sure to do his end and just doesnt magically expect a job to fall in his lap because a piece of paper.

4.) That may be true, The dealership I went to the service manager talked about how they hire alot of UTI grads and have great success with them, but maybe its was just him ruuning a pitch too. Outside of talking to the techs who worked there after the presentation I took most of it with a grain of salt.

Im not trying to contradict you, just legitimatly curious since I can tell you have a strong opionion on it. I know you are over in NC so maybe on the east coast the school isnt doing so well with its grads?
>>
>>13982375

All of the manufacturers through the school that have programs after you get through the core have some sort of partnership. I doubt they are all UTI exclusive however and likely recruit from a number of sources. The MSAT (manufacturer paid) are by far the most advantageous. If I get into one, and do well once I get a job, I dont see why it wont work out well for me, even if I did spend more than I could have to get there.
>>
>>13982435
1) education in general is expensive, beats working to survive my whole life i guess.
Why pay more for the same education? That's the only point I am making

As far as points 2, 3, and 4:

All I can tell is is what I have seen and experienced hanging around in the auto industry man. I've been told, on multiple occasions, at multiple business, by dozens of techs, many of whom had first hand experience with UTI and Wyotech, that most CC's had a more rounded, practical education, that better prepared them for the real world, and that places like UTI were just nowhere close to be being worth the money

I think UTI is like 40K if you make it all the way through right? Most of the guys at my dealership went through a local CC and it cost them 4 grand tops. I can imagine UTI is giving you 35K better education

I know that lots of dealerships in our area have had horrible luck with techs that came out of UTI. Granted, that could be the fault of the dipshit rednecks in the south who try to become auto techs, and nothing to do with UTI
>>
>>13982449
It will work out fine if you get into one. It's a solid career path which is a lot more than 50% of your peers are doing. Goodluck.
>>
>>13982475

Yea its 40k for the auto tech program. from what ive experienced/seen so far, the people who did well from it applied themselves, and put in the work on their end, while the people who didnt were the same type who get a liberal arts degree and wonder why they work at starbucks still. Lazy, stupid, entitled fucks who think a piece of paper magically makes them deserve a career.

maybe it isnt worth 35k more, which in reality is just my fault for not researching well enough before making the decision. That being said if the end result is a career where I can actually have a decent standard of living, a little extra time in the poor house while I pay extra money back isnt the worst price to pay.

Going back to the credit unions, in your experience are they more lenient onb loans when proof of income is an issue? I know you cant say for certain what my situation would be, just asking for general observations since I know you work with this sort of thing alot. I appreciate that advice and will inquire at my credit union about a car loan.

>>13982488

thanks!
>>
>>13982526
If you are living purely on disability and the rest of your income is illegal then you're going to have a hard time getting a loan even from a credit union.
>>
>>13982526
Like most things man, what you get out of your education relates to what you put into it. If you can leverage it to land the job you want, at a pay level that lets you live comfortably, go for it

Back to credit unions. One of the benefits is that most CU's offer a fixed approval. This means either you get approved at a fixed APR for up to a certain amount...or you don't get an approval at all

With my CU, the processes is pretty simple. You give them your basic info, social, income, time on the job, and rent/mortgage if you are legally signed to one. They pull your credit report, look your file over, talk to you one to one about your current financial situation/why you want the loan, and tell you yes or no. If you get approved, you don't need to prove anything or bring in any info.

This is what makes CU's a great option for people trying to build credit. The loans are straightforward, don't require stipulations, and the APR doesn't change based on the vehicles age or mileage
>>
>>13982548

Yea thats the shitty part, hence the thread. My situation doesnt lend itself well to financing a burger much less a car, and going to a scam lot that finances anyone would just get me a clunker that would be repoed regardless and put me into a whole new level of fucked.

>>13982586

Thanks for the info man, Ill look into it, the worst they could say is no. And also thanks for all your great threads here, they have provided me with alot of knowledge that has kept me from getting into bad situations in the past regarding vehicles and finances.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.