[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wouldn't be coming to you guys if I wasn't really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_20151106_144120.jpg (729 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151106_144120.jpg
729 KB, 1536x2048
I wouldn't be coming to you guys if I wasn't really desperate. But this is the timing job from Hell.

I bought a '94 Celica GT for like, $500 on craigslist, expecting it to break, I didn't really give a shit.

It worked for like, a month and a half, and then the timing belt broke, and a shop quoted me at $1900 to replace it, which I wasn't hip to because I spent $500 on the car.

So, taking (nearly) everything off of the timing cover took like 45 minutes, but then this pulley bolt (pic related) has stopped me dead in my tracks. I've been trying to get this pulley bolt out for months, literally, the car broke in september and I still don't have it out. I've impacted it. I've wrenched it. I've heated it with a propane torch and wrenched it. I've heated it and then impacted it. I'm at my wits end, this fucking bolt wont budge and I shattered an impact socket on it today. What the fuck do I do?
>>
lol what
any shop should charge less to do that job
also is this an interference engine?

if its not, do the trick where you stick the breaker bar on it and use the starter to turn it over
>>
>>13979096
It is luckily a non-interference engine

The problem with that is, the cylinders and the cams aren't aligned, and right now the part of the belt that isn't broken is seized under the tensioner, so I can't get the belt off of the cam gear to align it with the crank.
>>
Fuck, if the belt hadnt snapped you couldve bump-started it to break it loose, thats what i did on my truck.

Have you tried locking down the breaker bar against the ground or body and using an air impact on it?
>>
>>13979098
use a knife
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
Try a giant ass breaker bar with a strong pipe on it for more leverage. Try tightening it a little first and then loosening it. More torch heat but you probably cooked the rubber in your harmonic balancer so you should try to get a new crankshaft pulley/ harmonic balancer for when you do get the pulls off. Also if and when you do get the bolt out the pulley is probably not gonna want to slide off the crankshaft even with the bolt out.
>>
File: omaewa.jpg (118 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
omaewa.jpg
118 KB, 550x550
>>13979104
wow I'm stupid
>>
get a real impact socket and stop using extensions
>>
>>13979107
Yeah, probably. Shouldn't be too expensive to get a new pulley and balancer, right?
>>
>>13979120
That wasn't on the impact, that was just a regular wrench
>>
>>13979104
That wouldn't work because if the cams don't move the engine can't cycle at all
>>
>>13979086
You have to get a thick breaker bar and an extension, then use a pipe for extra leverage. To stop the harmonic balancer from spinning do the trick where you loop some chain around it and over an engine mount
>>
>>13979178

+1 pipe extension. get 6' out on that thing (with good sockets and drivers) and it will break loose.
>>
>>13979086
>Jacking your car up at the oil pan

Goddamnit /o/
>>
>>13979364
fucking this..the fuck is wrong with you people..
>>
File: All of my Cars Run.jpg (54 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
All of my Cars Run.jpg
54 KB, 640x640
Use the transmission to hold the engine from turning over. Put it in 5th gear (or "P") and then block both hubs from spinning (on some cars, the air cooling passages in the rotor are big enough for pry bars to be wedged in and placed against the caliper to keep everything from turning). Atleast then you'll be able to really crank on it with both hands instead of that handle.

Bumping it with the starter is still an option, since it's not an interference motor, but if you want to be extra safe about it, then you could pull the cams so the valves are at zero lift.
>>
Park won't stop the engine turning. How do you think your car starts in the mornings?
>>
>mfw op doesnt realize this bolt is left threaded and he's been tightening it for months.

maximum kek
>>
>>13982336
Holy shit OP. It just hit me that this could actually be a problem. Have you tried tightening it to loosen it?
>>
>>13979086
2 things.
First get the jack off the pan you tard.
Second get a bigger impact, better air supply and stronger socket.

I use this
http://www.cp.com/en/whatwedo/powertools/classic/products/cp772h.aspx with the compressor at 120psi. No bolt has ever stopped me.
>>
>>13982509
i aint clicking that shit
>www.cp.com
>>
>>13982509
>First get the jack off the pan you tard.
The jacks just supporting the engine, because he had to remove an engine mount to get to the timing belt.

Though op should have a block of wood between the pan and the jack.
>>
>>13979086
What is reverse threads? Good luck getting it out now when you have been tightening it in all these months. Surprised that the fucker didn't snap off at the head.
>>
File: image.jpg (636 KB, 1600x1127) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
636 KB, 1600x1127
>>13982756
>>
File: 1411792372302.png (150 KB, 327x327) Image search: [Google]
1411792372302.png
150 KB, 327x327
PUT THE JACK ON YOUR CROSSMEMBER NOT THE PAN!
>>
>>13982789
>PUT THE JACK ON YOUR CROSSMEMBER NOT THE PAN!
Doesn't work.

Typically you need to jack the engine up an inch or two higher than it would normally sit when supported by the engine mount when doing a timing belt change.

That jack is just for the engine, he's not supporting the car by it.
>>
It's not reverse thread, it's just super fucking hard to get off. Breaker bar and pipe breh
>>
Are you sure it is not a left handed thread, where you have to turn clockwise to loosen?
I remember some old Fords had reverse threads (and a shitload of loctite) on the crank pulley bolts.
>>
>>13979364
>>13979394
Not op but he probably has the engine mount off and the jack is holding the engine up. The fuck is wrong with you armchair mechanics?
>>
>>13983464
There is nothing wrong in supporting the engine, of course you don't leave it dangling on the other mount.
The problem is that the jack seems to be under the oil pan, which can very well bend/break it if the engine is heavy enough and the jack is small enough.

A piece of wood between the two will probably solve the problem tho, the trick is to distribute the weight into a bigger surface.
>>
>>13982336
>>13982464
>>13982759
>>13983316
>Celica

There's no such thing as a Toyota with a left hand thread on the crank pulley.
>>
Cant you just use your fingers with some vaseline?
>>
>>13979086
Every time do a timing belt change, I wedge the breaker bar against the ground and then use the starter to turn the engine over which breaks the bolt loose. Just make sure you know which way the motor spins. Also, pull the main wire off the distributor so the engine doesn't actually start.
>>
>>13983489
I wonder how much torque after the flywheel multiplication a starter actually produces.
>>
>>13983511
Enough to break loose a bolt in my experience.
>>
Left hand thread crank bolt quit play in.

OP don't listen to these retards, it's a regular bolt just super fucking gorilla tight. I use a 4 foot breaker bar for this kind of thing
>>
>>13983489
Breaker bar + starter combo is the best.
I used it to get the bolt loose on my car, and all the bolts on my friends' cars.
>>
File: 42264_2000x2000[1].jpg (559 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
42264_2000x2000[1].jpg
559 KB, 2000x2000
I use this for all crank pullies. never failed.
>>
File: 1428192613971.png (217 KB, 640x347) Image search: [Google]
1428192613971.png
217 KB, 640x347
>>13983564
>Battery powered impact
>Not an air wrench
>>
>>13983589
>doesn't own one
>thinks he has a valid opinion
such is life on /o/
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.