[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for experiences and help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Options.png (888 KB, 808x751) Image search: [Google]
Options.png
888 KB, 808x751
I will probably need to get a new car because my rusty box is going to fail inspection.

I live in Ireland so road tax and insurances are super high, To give an example. My Honda Civic 1.5 98 is 417€ in tax and 850€ in insurance.

So I am looking for something smaller but reliable. Not prone to rust(Honda's are and finding one without rust is like finding a unicorn) and if possible that the car can be improved a little to make it sportier(not a 200bhp) but agile, not a boring Prius.

Has any of you had any experience with the ones in the picture or can suggest any other car under 1.4 liters and newer than 1997
>>
>>13968499
Colt with a MIVEC 4G92 would be very fun.
>>
>>13968509
That was in my mind. However I don't know if there are sporty parts for Colts or a mod culture like in Honda.
>>
>>13968535
There's suspension stuff and the 4G92..well, it doesn't really need much. It already makes 170HP. A lot for a Colt.
>>
>>13968562
And speaking just about the Colt. Is it a good car? Any reliability issues? Prone to rust? Are the parts cheap?
>>
>>13968584
>Is it a good car
Yes.
>Any reliability issues?
Nothing specific. Just check anything you would on any used cars. Only buy cars with service records. Parts are reasonably priced.
>>
File: toyota-corolla-shooting-brake.jpg (98 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
toyota-corolla-shooting-brake.jpg
98 KB, 1024x768
>>13968499
Out of the pictured options, 106 is least prone to rust. I would suggest the the E110 Corolla, preferably in facelifted estate form, as they must be the least desirable cars that are somewhat fun to drive. However, you should check the rust situation of those for sale where you live. Also the engines are pretty bulletproof and the estates have most likely been owned by old farts who haven't driven them like they would have been stolen. Fiestas and Almeras are horrible when it comes to rust.
>>
>>13968618
Thanks mate.
The first one I see has a crash on the back that has become rusty. But yeah that might be a good idea. I wanted an estate, stupid me dreaming about Volvo 940 hahahaha
>>
Any more opinions guys?
>>
I had two fiestas, an mk4 (the one with the wide oval headlights) and an mk5 (the one in your pic).
First was a 1.2L gas, second was a 1.8L diesel.

Very reliable cars and had interiors that IMO looked and felt better than most of the competition of that era.

They are light machines and handle pretty well considered the kind of cars we are talking about. You can have some shitbox fun with them.

Rumor has it that the gas engines of the Zetec family (so no 1.3L) actually had more power than what Ford declared. This was, supposedly, to stay within a certain tax range in Germany or some other European country where cars with more than 55kW were, at the time, taxed more.
I never got around to verify that myself, but some people claimed to have dynoed stock cars and found up to 10kW more than declared.

Anyway, only frequent problems of Fiestas of that generation (that I wasn't unlucky enough to have, but I read of a lot of other people who had) that i know of were the coolant valve that redirects coolant to the heater core (it cracks and leaks but is a cheap fix) and PCV hoses on the valve cover cracking (another easy fix).
Diesels were also afflicted by a bad high pressure pump problem which also happened a lot on Focuses with the same engine: basically at around 180k km the electronic module on the pump fucks up and breaks, potentially bringing something mechanical with it. That is a very expensive fix but it happens quite late in the car's life.

All in all, I had tons of fun in them, especially with the diesel one. 3door variants are surprisingly comfy for sex on the back seat with the front ones reclined all the way forward. Mileage in the gas one was terrible, while the diesel was pretty decent.
Interior quality, as already stated, was above average. Most expensive repair I had to do was a worn clutch on the diesel one at 160k km.
Never had rust problems.

Can't speak for other cars as I only had passenger experiences with them, but I really miss my Fiestas.
>>
>>13969356
Thanks man.

As a passenger did the other ones give you good impressions?
>>
>>13971273
Never tried the primera, and had very limited experience with a colt, which was kinda meh.
The Peugeot was a nice little car, maybe a little too bouncy (which i guess was more because of old dampers than a problem of the car itself) but I vastly prefer the Fiesta's interiors
>>
File: ford fiesta.jpg (56 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
ford fiesta.jpg
56 KB, 620x465
I Own a 1998 Ford Fiesta CLX Diesel

Pros:
>Easy as FUCK to work with
>cheap spares
>comfy
>its an awesome dd and pretty damn big for long distance.
>It's very economic. }
>Very reliable
>you can beat the fuck out of it and it wont fucking stop

CONS:

>RUST EVERYWHERE
>Lots of torque for a car of this size.

Picture semi-related, i have the same one but with plastic bumpers.
>>
>>13971715
Oops, the torque stuff is a Pro. I Fucked up.
>>
>>13971715
Turbo diesel ex owner here, holy fuck i never thought N/A diesel Fiestas were still around
>>
>>13971715
I have worked on one with the 1.3 pushrod endura-e/valencia/kent whatever and A/C+power steering. The engine bay was absolutely packed regardless of the engine itself being from the 50's. Wasn't that easy.
>>
>>13968499
>suggest any other car under 1.4 liters and newer than 1997
1st gen Twingo. Reliable as fuck, roomy inside, low fuel consumption and can be driven sportishly. The only thing i dislike about it is the 'womans car' stigma and electronic dashboard.
>>
>>13971812
You should take a look at how they managed to pack all that shit in the Ka
>>
>>13971824
That car looks awful. Shouldn't have been designed at all.
>>
>>13972282
De gustibus...
>>
>>13968499
Almera > Colt > Fiestta > french shitbox
>Almera
>1.4l

Doesn't the Almera have an SR20 or SR16?
I don't recall them ever having a 1.4 unless yurop gotsome shitbox version
>>
>>13972339
Yurop gets all the econoboxes that amurricans cannot afford to drive due to muhh engine
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.