[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you plasti-dipped/thought about plasti-dipping your car?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: DSC_1384.jpg (440 KB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1384.jpg
440 KB, 720x406
Have you plasti-dipped/thought about plasti-dipping your car? I think that pic related looks cool
>>
>>13968147
Thought about it on my DD. I did dip the wheels and emblems so I can give you my experience there, but when I did have the extra time to do it in the garage, bills popped up and had to be paid. Such is life in the zone.
>>
looks like shit most of the time

your pic is no exception
>>
I have thought about plastidipping someone else's car
>>
>>13968197
If it weren't for being >slammedbruh and littered with stickers I think it would honestly look pretty good.
>>
if you want a striking color like this get a wrap. looks way better, lasts way longer, way higher quality, and wont get shit over time.

/thread.
>>
>>13968147
I've done bits and pieces of my car like the hood scoop, grille, mirrors, and wheels, but I don't think I'd do the whole thing. What I was mostly doing was covering up shitty clearcoat but the rest of the paint was ok.
>>
I plastidipped my car's roof once. Looked good for what it was, but it was just too much rice for me so I took it off after a little while.

Dip is fucking horrible to take off, and I had four thick coats on the roof. It doesn't peel at all like you see in the videos, you're going to end up with hundreds of pieces of sticky plastic that refuse to stick together when you peel it off. It is however, extremely forgiving to paint with. You can rattle-can something and won't end up with any streaks at all.

If I bought a beater car with awful paint, I would love to dip the whole thing with a quality sprayer. I wouldn't ever put it on good paint though, it never looks as good as you want.

If you're like me and dipped your wheels matte black when you were in high school and want that shit off now, WD40 will melt it right off. Wash the wheel, peel off what you can, then soak the shit out of them with WD40 and pressure wash them five minutes later.
>>
>>13971875
>Dip is fucking horrible to take off, and I had four thick coats on the roof. It doesn't peel at all like you see in the videos, you're going to end up with hundreds of pieces of sticky plastic that refuse to stick together when you peel it off. It is however, extremely forgiving to paint with. You can rattle-can something and won't end up with any streaks at all.

Yeah man, I did my wheels and used an entire can per wheel and when it came time to take it off it was like paper mache. Some parts came off just fine, but a lot of the areas that were harder to reach came off in parts and was a fucking nightmare. It probably took me ~40 minutes per wheel just because peeling between the spokes was near impossible.
>>
>>13968147
>>
>>13968147
I thought about it. I think I'd rather go with a (chrome) vinyl wrap instead. The color in plastidipped cars don't stand out much and lack depth I think. Only good for wheels and other small bits and pieces.

>Pic related - the wrap I'm thinking about
>>
File: IMG_20151017_8471.jpg (214 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151017_8471.jpg
214 KB, 1920x1080
I might consider it over normal paint for my shitbox EG hatch. One of the previous owners painted it so it's got ridiculous orange peel, front end is a different shade of red, they rolled the fenders after so all the shit paint is chipped off, tons of overspray, etc.

I'll see how things go in the future. I don't have the resources to do it myself because apartment.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1445468601328.jpg (57 KB, 720x549) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1445468601328.jpg
57 KB, 720x549
>>13968197
>>
>>13968147
That looks retarded as fuck.
>>
>>13972078
>implying that looks good to anyone over 12 years old
>>
File: 003.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
plastidipping the whole car looks like shit, however plastidipping small pieces can be decent
>i did the chrome strip running across the grille on my old silverado and it turned out bretty good
>>
>>13971904
Absolutely this
>>
File: edgelord.png (822 KB, 1039x1001) Image search: [Google]
edgelord.png
822 KB, 1039x1001
a shit
>look at muh speshul snowflek car
>>
>>13972421
Bruh, that's the Mazda logo without the rest of the circle, not a monster logo.
>>
>>13972451
exactly its rice, u dont see benz guys take off the circle
>muh car enthusiasm
>>
>>13972462
Except you do see benz guys take off the circle
>>
>>13968147
No because im not a poorfag and i can afford actual quality paint

>>13972078
however this looks good
>>
>>13968147
>I think that pic related looks cool
that's because you're a faggot
>>
>>13972462
>u dont see benz guys take off the circle
I do it for them :)
>>
>>13968147
>looks like flat shit
>stickers all over the windshield
>slammed
You are a massive swaggot.
>>
>>13968147
No.
It looks like garbage and ruins the paint beneath.

Can get fine results with even roll on paint with good prep/wetsanding work.
>>
>>13972046
don't drop a penny in that shitbox
>>
>>13972078
Thanks doc
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.