[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cold starts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10
File: DSC_0391.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0391.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Sup /o/
How do you guys do cold starts?
My policy is idling until the needle moves, then shifting at 2k until the engine is fully warmed up

Picture unrelated
>>
>>13965280
Didn't we just have this thread

I turn it on in gear while giving it hectic throttle and skid it
>>
>>13965280

Idle for about 60 seconds before taking off, then refrain from hooning until warm. Unless, of course, the car is iced up. Then I let the defrosters do their work until I have complete visibility. Fuck scraping ice. I'll sit there and idle for 20 min if I have to.
>>
Niggers. Use Webastos and other engine heaters! I even use small gas burner under my tractor engine just to ease the starting.
>>
>>13965376
This, idle for 30 seconds to a minute, then drive at really low RPMs(no tach) i just shift a lot earlier than usual.
>>
File: BasedDEFA.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
BasedDEFA.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
I pull out the plug, get in the car, turn the key, wait three seconds to see that all gauges are working and drive off
>>
>>13965771
>electrokek
>>
Idle up to 100°F, no hooning until 160°F.
>>
File: 1447076883305.jpg (187 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1447076883305.jpg
187 KB, 640x960
>>13965779
>>
File: dca.jpg (17 KB, 499x325) Image search: [Google]
dca.jpg
17 KB, 499x325
>>13965779

>cheaper
>more efficient
>warm air as soon as the car starts up
>less wear on the engine
>less wear on the battery
>less time used
>less hassle (its on a timer, so just plug and forget)
>>
>>13965280
>then shifting at 2k until the engine is fully warmed up
Wait what RPM do you usually shift at?

I shift at 1.5k-2k all the time.
>>
>start
>idle for 10 seconds
>drive slow and steady until it's warmed up
>>
File: rtfm.png (182 KB, 837x843) Image search: [Google]
rtfm.png
182 KB, 837x843
like this
>>
>>13965280
>press clutch
>put in gear
>start engine
>dump cluctch
>pedal to the metal
>>
>>13965280
hope that isnt volvo s40
>>
>>13966355
>Dump clutch
>THEN apply throttle
broseph
>>
>>13965771
What exactly is this? Never seen before
>>
>>13965823

Do you plug this in at night or what exactly is the process?
>>
Where I live in Chicago everyone parks on the street. They just hop in their cars and gun it after starting. It makes me shudder. Its also why every auto store I drive past has a bmw in the parking lot and under every hood is an incompetent Indian.
>>
File: defa-slangevarmer[1].jpg (21 KB, 550x358) Image search: [Google]
defa-slangevarmer[1].jpg
21 KB, 550x358
>>13966420

Its my engine heater

You get them in different models and designs.
The most popular is a block-heater that heats the engine itself through a heat-element put direclty onto a previously filled hole in the block (differs from engine to engine)

Then you have elements that heat the oilpan and makes it so you have perfectly warm and fluid oil at startup

Then you have my model, which is a pump that circulates and heats the coolant/water which in return heats the entire engine. Slightly less efficient than a block-heater, but its a lot more universal and a lot easier to install. Block warmers are also becoming more and more rare, with manufacturers (primarily DEFA and Calix where I live) focusing more and more on producing the "universal" heaters
>>
>>13965280
Warming up isn't necessary in a modern car. Start it up and EFI will take care of the rest. Just don't rev the piss out of it as soon as you start it.
>>
File: Outdoor_Timer[1].jpg (16 KB, 420x560) Image search: [Google]
Outdoor_Timer[1].jpg
16 KB, 420x560
>>13966433

Plug it whenever I park and I know I won't be using it again until it would've been cold. Its on an analog timer that gives power only in the timeframes I've set it to, so that if I, as an example, have a lecture at 10.15 and leave 9.50 I'll set it so that it gives power from 6:30 (time depends on temperature outside), which means that my engine is a good +35c/95F each time I start it up
>>
File: IMG-20151119-WA0032.jpg (629 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151119-WA0032.jpg
629 KB, 1600x1066
>>13966439
Thanks m8, that's a fukin good idea! I wonder why I never heard about that before
Thank u for the full explanation
>>
>>13966451

No trouble - if you live somewhere cold like me then they are a god send, and ESPECIALLY for diesel engines

You'll save your battery, you'll put less stress on the engine, better fuel consumption, warm air as soon as you start up the car

If you really want the maximim comfort you can get a "total" package from DEFA where you can control the timer through WiFi on your phone, have a small heater-fan inside of the cabin that runs on the same system and heats your cabin so that even on the coldest mornings its completely toasty (and your windshield & glass will be completely clear from ice), a charger/heater that charges your battery and keeps it warm

They're a tad expensive, but they make living in the frozen wastes a tiny bit better
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.