[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How heavy are transmissions?, could one or two people install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 299x179) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 299x179
How heavy are transmissions?, could one or two people install one into a car on stands?
>>
one person can. just use a jack to lower it and lift it.

it's a bitch but it can be done. 2 people definitely makes it easier.
>>
FWD transmission is usually compact enough that 1 reasonably fit person can just bench it in.

Big ass RWD transmissions are tougher just because they're awkward, 2 people could do it but a transmission jack would make it a million times easier.
>>
>>13965096
Depends on the car, but even a light truck transmission will be a nightmare to try and wrestle down or up into place if you're under the car. Better make some sort of dolly or jack with wheels that you can use to put it up in there with. You probably don't want it swinging down into your chin or your dick if it falls.

I remember the new venture 5 speed out of my S10 was pretty cumbersome to try and pick up and put into a crate. I'm going to say it was over 100 lbs.
>>
I used a floor jack to install my chevy trans. (700r4)

Its sooo much easier if you have a trans jack. You can pick one up at HF and return it...
>>
They are around 100 pounds.
>>
File: 20150216_165919.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150216_165919.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13965128
What? My s10s Trans wasn't even heavy? ?? It's like 40 to 60lbs at most
>>
>>13965096
use a normal floor jack with a phone book on top of it
>>
>>13965687
manual is a lot lighter than an auto man.
>>
>>13965702
Switch to a non-pleb transmission layout???
>>
File: big tranny 4 u.jpg (120 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
big tranny 4 u.jpg
120 KB, 800x600
>>13965096
1748 lbs dry. Hope you've been lifting mate.
>>
Depends on the car, your traditional transverse-mounted 5-speed manual fitted on a 4cyl euro car will be light enough for you to do it alone with the help of jacks.
6 speeds transverse are definitely heavier (most of them have 3 shafts inside instead of 2) and you better find someone to help you.

Basically, anything beyond an econobox and you need two people to be safe, using jacks of course.
>>
Borg warner t-5 weighs about 120lbs I think.

The more powah the transmission can handle the heavier it will be.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.