[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the chances that the dying of the boomer generation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 600x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 600x314
What are the chances that the dying of the boomer generation will cause a drop in prices of classics?
>>
Null
>>
>>13964183
How much has the price of 30s cars fallen over the last 50 years?
>>
>>13964183
Zero. The damage is done. Nothing you can do to repair it now.
>>
>>13964219
Yeah but in the 30s, cars were objects of the filthy rich. Comparing prices of cars that are undeniably rare because of low production numbers to classics that were produced by the tens of thousands isn't really logical. What I'm trying to say is that the low production numbers of the 30s demand high prices, classics (50s and up) shouldn't be the same because of how many were produced
>>
>>13964252
There wouldn't be any falling interest once the boomers are done for? Fortunately for us (assuming that you're in the same age range as the average /o/ poster), the large majority of our generation would rather spend their money on the newest and greatest than on a classic, as far as I've observed
>>
>>13964300
the rules of supply and demand are the same.
if post 50s cars are expensive despite big numbers it's down to demand.
all the ones with low demand have been melted down to make brake discs now.
>>
yeah the price isnt going to go down

if anything theyre going to keep going up
>>
>>13964183
They will only ever become more valuable as they become rarer. the owners are not what determines their value it is how common they are and condition that does.
Boomers just tend to be the kind of people who will pull an engine out of a car and strip it down just to clean the internals, that is why they sell their cars for good money normally.
>>
They will go down a little bit on some models as demand won't be as huge, but there will still be enough demand to keep prices fairly high.
>>
>>13964317
Exactly, so with post 50s classics demanding high prices because of boomers, what happens in a decade or so once all of them are gone?
>>
>>13964336
except tards that want the old garbage are still going to want it

you are the kind of person who are going to keep the prices up do you not get that
>>
The days of barn finds and widowed grandma handing you her husband's car keys are gone. What drivable cars are out there is about as good as it gets while the projects rust away.
>>
"classics" are desirable because they are good cars. 20 years ago a 1970 Chevelle was desirable and a 1977 Lincoln Versailles was not at all. 20 years later, with one generation dying off, another reaching retirement, and a third entering the workforce, it's still the same, people still want Chevelles and nobody wants Versailles. It's not generational.
>>
>>13964361
How are you coming up with that assumption? I'm not going to pay a rediculously high price for a classic unlike boomers who have a large retirement fund to blow.
>>
>>13964312
Not how the used market works most of the time unfortunately. Once a certain demographic drives up the price of a segment of cars, the death of that generation isn't going to pop the bubble

You are always gonna have a demand for classics, and it's historically a very stable market, so long as the economy doesn't take another dive into the shit.

Boomers proved that the market will support "I know what I have prices" on some of these cars, which in turn led to every shithead with a rusted out roller asking crazy money for them, which in turn pushed the prices up all the way around

If you wanna see classic car prices collapse, it would take another recession, the death of boomers will have very little impact on the demand for these cars overall
>>
>>13964390
then youre not getting one you are completely irrelevant

simple as that

people that can pay will pay the prices
>>
>>13964394
the last recession helped inflate classic car prices, and the next will do so too, especially if there's another holocaust like clunkers
>>
>>13964401
>completely irrelevant
>I'm the one keeping the prices high

Okay
>>
>>13964424
>then

you missed that word you retard

figured you couldnt read if you think half the shit you posted so far
>>
>>13964394
Thank you for actually providing a concise answer to my question
>>
>>13964394
To add to that, the market for decent condition classics is always shrinking, and cars that are 'desirable' will always remain desirable. You don't even have to look at classics to see the mechanic at work, look at any desirable car that's now out of production. For every decent S2000 on the market, you have 5 salvage title, pulled out of a ditch/unwrapped from around a tree cars sitting, and the demand is staying fairly constant. With an ever shrinking pool of decent examples, you will see people willing to pony up more and more money for one

>>13964418
Actually, if you look at wholesale data, the recession knocked prices down a LOT for cars over 25 years old. You had lots of people who took the opportunity to buy up cars at the bottom of the market, do budget restores, and flip them for shit loads of money when the market started to recover. Basically the same thing lots of people did with houses IF you had the capital on hand to do it

>>13964444
No problem, see my little addition above in this post as well. It's funny, the next group of cars that are going to get hyper-inflated is factory off-roaders. Just look at the prices on things like open top diesel H1 Hummers, FJ Cruisers, older Wranglers, older 4Runners and so on. They are already starting to inflate. Millennials are going to do to these cars what Boomers did to classic Muscle
>>
>>13964444
>concise
>nonsensical beanie baby tier logic
Here's a concise answer that has a basis in reality: things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Classic cars have many properties outside of nostalgia that cause people to want to buy them.
>>
File: My Camaro.jpg (75 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
My Camaro.jpg
75 KB, 960x540
Get while the getting is good. Some desirable models are still relatively affordable, that won't last long.
>>
>>13964468
>Actually, if you look at wholesale data, the recession knocked prices down a LOT for cars over 25 years old
okay I mean in certain sectors of the market. stuff like old porsches and ferraris went up a ton as it was seen as a safe haven
>>
File: 1420948379734.jpg (153 KB, 1024x728) Image search: [Google]
1420948379734.jpg
153 KB, 1024x728
"if its popular when its new it'll be popular when its old" is what my dad told me, so I doubt it. Plenty of younger kids still think older boomer cars are cool shit (myself included) so I don't think they'll drop drastically
>>
>>13964477
>beanie baby tier logic

I gave the most direct answer to his question. Just because one generation drives up a price on a certain demographic, doesn't mean the price will come down when that generation dies.

'Classic' cars are very much a luxury item purchase. Most banks don't do loans on them, or if they do it's at a higher APR than a traditional car loan. This means most of the time sales have to be cash. And when you are dealing with cash sales, the overall health of the economy is going to dictate the volume of sales. People have to be in good enough financial condition to have money to blow on something like an old classic car

>>13964508
True. When things go south, people are always going to try and redirect money into 'safe' investments. Cars that were pretty much always going to appreciate did so faster because people rushed there money into them, but overall the market saw prices drop, because people didn't have crazy amounts of on hand cash to throw around at luxury items.
>>
>>13964548
You implied the sellers dictated the trend
>>13964394
>Boomers proved that the market will support "I know what I have prices" on some of these cars, which in turn led to every shithead with a rusted out roller asking crazy money for them, which in turn pushed the prices up all the way around

The buyers are what determines what something is worth, especially in a market as free as used cars. People will pay what they think is worth it for them, this is not a generational phenomenon, boomers were/are not the only people willing to spend big money on muscle cars. People spend big money on them because there were no cars made like them before or after their time period, and it was a great era of automotive design and engineering.
>>
>>13964597
No, I was talking about Boomers as buyers. In my experience, Boomers are the primary customers for classic muscle right now/the past decade or so, although they weren't the first, nor will they be the last, as you pointed out

But Boomers were responsible for pouring a TON of money into that market in recent memory. You had lots of old men willing to pay absurdly high prices for some of those cars, which is what I meant above when I mentioned "Boomers proved that the market will support "I know what I have" prices.

Buyers always dictate in the most direct way what the market will hold for a certain car, but sellers can have an impact. When EVERY seller starts asking a high price for a car, they can artificially accelerate the appreciation. This is what I was poking at as well. Yes, you had some very desirable classics that sold for huge money. Tons of Boomers saw this, looked at the old rotting project they had in there back yard, started listing them for crazy money, more people saw these listing, started listing THEIR projects for crazy money, and soon the price basement for the entire market had moved up significantly.

However, as you pointed out, you have to have buyers WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE for the prices to stay there, and right now, you have enough of them that values are hanging high. As I said above, I don't see that changing unless we get hit with another severe recession. Yes, those prices would have probably gotten that high eventually, but it was accelerated a bit, but thats nothing knew.

As I said to an anon above, millennials are pumping money into off-roaders right now. Hell, they aren't the first to really drop money on that segment, nor will they be the last, but they are pushing prices higher much faster than they would creeped up otherwise.

but, again, boomers dying isn't going to result in classic muscle getting any cheaper
>>
The glut of car shows in the last fifteen years has probably got more people interested in classic cars and the internet has made it easier to buy and sell them.
>>
truly collectible ones will remain valuable. like an original GT500
run of the mill models and replicas will probably drop. let's say Musangs.

With brand new bodies and every part you could imagine being avaialable brand new, i'm sure in the uture people would rather just start with a brand new body than buy some rust heap for $12k, and restore it etc
>>
>>13964183
They will go down but the damage is more or less done. They won't ever be 'affordable' again. You can see it with big auctions like Pebble Beach. People generally buy cars that they wanted as kids but could never afford, so now that they're older and established they're buying them now. The supercars of the 80's are starting to become big ticket items, while pre war cars that used to be worth serious bank are now depreciating like crazy, but not into the hands of the average joe.
>>
>>13966192
>The supercars of the 80's are starting to become big ticket items
A year or two ago you could get a decent 308GTS/GTB for $30-40k
Now they're at least $80k
>>
>>13966196
The Countach is probably the biggest turn around of that period. It went from a 80k car to a 300k plus car is like 2 years. And it's still climbing.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.