[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fear of driving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 1406273482254.gif (197 KB, 400x289) Image search: [Google]
1406273482254.gif
197 KB, 400x289
Guys is anyone afraid of driving here or had any problems in the past learning how to do it?

I got a car more than a month ago but I can't bring myself to get in and learn because I can't afford any mistakes and roads are very narrow here. So how can I get over it?
>>
>>13960866
Start in a normal car.
Have someone drive you out to a parking lot where you can practice. You want a wide open space where you can practice making turns and smooth starts and stops.
The biggest part of learning to drive is all muscle memory, learning how hard your right foot needs to press on the gas/brake so you accelerate and deccelarate smoothly. It can be scary at first but you'll get the hang of it, like anything else. If Suzy soccermom can handle driving so can you, and you can do it a lot better. It just takes practice and confidence.
>>
>>13960875
By normal car I mean an old corrolla or something with measly power, a slushbox, and most importantly, not some cool sports car you would feel awful about scratching.
>>
Just get the fuck out there
>>
>>13960866
The best way to get past a fear is to face it head on. Get in the car and drive.
>>
>>13960875
I have my license and got on the road before, but the feeling of I will fuck up any moment never leaves me. Probably because of my brother acting like a fucking chimpanzee running for his life when I accelerate a little and he is the only one around me who knows how to drive. So I have to do this by myself.

>>13960878
I already have car

>>13960886
>>13960895
Thanks, I will do that.

I seem to always pass too close to left side though, any recommendations for that?
>>
>>13960866
I was like that a lot, especially since my parents were terrible at teaching me and high strung screaming motherfuckers riding shotgun all the time. Stepped away from it for a while and drove a shit ton when I came home for thanksgiving break this weekend and it was pretty gud, a little tiring but fun. Might not be an option but might help to step away from it for a while and hype yourself up.
>>
I drive currently. And I have one of those piece of shit stock ride height cars that rolls and has a soft suspension.
It scares the fuck out of me.
If I had something stiffer I'd be more comfortable.

I stay off the expressway just because of this.
>>
>>13960919
And yet people do it every day. I drive a minitruck on stock suspension FFS and I still carry a bit more speed than I should through roundabouts and whatnot. The bodyroll is fine.
>>
>>13960907

When I first learned i was pretty nervous about driving alone, because I had always had someone in the car before, and I wasn't getting enough practice because I didn't actually need to drive to get anywhere, so I just used to go and drive the routes I had learned for my test once a day or something. Then I started just pick a destination and following signs.
>>
>>13960928

Call me pussy, I just don't like it.
I'll be buying a mustang, the same engine but smaller and stiffer car soon.
So maybe I won't be so hesitant. Albeit, the visibility being worse might be my new excuse.

I'd rather hit stop lights than be on the expressway though. MPGs be damned.
>>
I know what you feel OP.
I, myself, was literally fearless when I drove my parents car, since it was a bit old already. But since I bought my car (new) I've always felt really uneasy driving it.
And it's a smaller car than the one I originally drove.

The fact I scraped my back bumper a week after I bought in a fucking retarded post, in a shopping lot, didn't help it too.
>>
>>13960935
What car do you currently have? And yeah body roll is a bit unnatural, but half of it is your seats, better seats keep you in place more.
>>
>use to be afraid of driving stick
>learn to drive one in a week
>now 420blazing it fuck you on freeways

Feel good.
>>
>>13960957
My mother was the same.
Bought a nissan micra. At first she was afraid to use it. After a month just before she was getting comfortable, she scratches the whole left side in a shopping mall due to steering early. We had to change both doors. She couldn't drive to that mall for 4 months.
>>
>>13960969

99 Towncar. Car I'm getting is a 04 GT Premium
>>
>>13960957
That's partially the fault of new cars though. When I drive my old bucket I can see just fine out of it and judge its dimensions really well, but when I'm in my dad's smaller crossover the visibility completely goes to shit and you can't guess a single corner of the fucking blob body.
>>
>>13960983
Yap... Exactly the way I feel.
I feel so goddamn uneasy when driving in tight spots. I'm always looking at the side mirrors.
And the worse is that I live in southern Europe, where streets are tight as fuck.

I blame the shitty visibility too, I can't literally see my bonnet and the back visibility is utter shit.
>>
>>13961001
Yeah. I don't think I can parallel park my car in tight-ish spots... And it's a goddamn 4,3m car.
I used to parallel park a goddamn 5m estate with relative ease in tight spots.
Really have to take the car to the dealership and have them intall parking sensors in the back, it's humiliating but it's better than fucking up the bumper.
>>
>>13960866
>Guys is anyone afraid of sex here or had any problems in the past learning how to do it?
>I got a gf more 4 months ago but I can't bring myself to get in her and learn because I can't afford any mistakes. So how can I get over it?
>>
I absolutely loathe driving econoboxes with small engines and no grunt.

I don't feel safe at all. I was on a motorway driving home from work and a bus decided to overtake the car in front of him by pulling out in front of me. Clearly the fucker didn't check his blind spot. Had I been driving a shit car with fuck all for power, he'd have knocked me into oncoming traffic even if I dropped a few gears and floored it. But because I was driving a car that can accelerate well, I managed to evade him by gunning it.

Ever since then I cannot drive a slow car on a motorway. I absolutely do not trust them.
>>
>>13961221
Nah m8 you just drive like shit. There are people out there driving 60hp shitboxes right now and they don't have any problems.
>>
How can you be scared of driving? Are you a woman? Quick being a pussy and just drive
>>
>>13961221
I drive a 1.3 diesel econobox. It has 200Nm.
Serves me quite well overtaking and doing slaloms through traffic.
>>
>>13961300
its not about driving the car really. I don't have much problem controlling the car and even then those can be solved after driving for a little time. It's just that what I will face if I make a mistake and I don't mean deathly accidents. It's more about small scratches and bumps that scares me. I won't know what to do in that situation. Maybe it is just about taking responsibility that I fear.
>>
>Whaa my roads are narrow
Find a road with small curbs and slowly ease the car over to the side until you bump one. Cars are a lot narrower than you think.
>Whaa my car rolls
Go watch 2CV racing or something. Alternately go to a parking lot where you can actually turn the car hard and see what happens when traction breaks.
>Whaa my car is too slow on the interstate
Drive a manual then. My shitbox corolla still has plenty of grunt if you're in the right gear.

Driving is dangerous, but it's not difficult. Look at all the fuckwits on the road that manage to get to work and back every day without hitting things. Just pay attention to your surroundings and know what your car will and will not do in emergency situations.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.