[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/ I picked up a 2011 Mazda 3i Touring, 'm getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Hey /o/ I picked up a 2011 Mazda 3i Touring, 'm getting intense vibration in the steering wheel when I drive. Wat do? Mechanic mentioned the motor mounts and shocks/struts were due soon but didn't think that soon.
>>
>>13960726
Mileage?
Mazda3 owner here
>>
>>13960726
Could check wheel bearing/axles
Humming? Vibration on take off?
>>
>>13960857

79k.

>>13961185
I'm not entirely sure. Will check tonight.
>>
your wheels might be unbalanced.
>>
>>13961865

I'll go get those checked out as I was going to swap the tires out. What's a good tire for the Mazda 3 that isn't terribly expensive? Looking for all seasons since Arizona doesn't have much in the way aside from HELL and NOT HELL. It's gotta be better than these Chinese knockoff Triangles brand.
>>
At what speeds?
>>
>>13961958

Feels like it's vibrating the steering wheel at about 50-60 MPH on the highway.
>>
>>13961983
what this guy said:
>>13961865
>>
Have you done any skids or burnouts? Flat spots in your tires from skids will do that
>>
File: 1429405553623.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1429405553623.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13961983

That makes me think its what >>13961865
said, those are typically the speeds where you'll really notice that your front wheels aren't balanced

Take it to your local trusted tire fucks and have them check & balance all four
>>
Bump. When replacing struts and shocks what else should I do.
>>
>>13960726
get your tires balanced first.
>>
>>13962818

Dude, check your brakes. I had this exact scenario, could not figure out what it was for the longest time.

Turns out the front caliper had seized on the passenger's side. It would get stuck, then release every so often. After a while it started getting more stiff and would hold the rotor just enough to get it really hot. This caused the rotor to warp, which caused a fucked up shudder/vibration in the steering.

Next time you go for a drive, use your brakes more than normal. After you stop the car, put your hand up to the wheels by the calipers. If they're warping, you'll feel a LOT of heat coming from inside the wheels. Mine got to a point where I saw white smoke coming from the one wheel well.
>>
File: 20140812_163254.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140812_163254.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13962850

Oh and I should have mentioned, my car was also a Mazda3. Granted, a 2006 GT, with 125,000km.

RIP in pieces
>>
>>13962850
>>13962850

Lol. How did you fix it?
>>
>>13962958

Typically you'd fix such an issue by opening the caliber and lubricating the sliding pins, of course, if your rotors are warped all to hell as a result of the issue, you'll need to address that as well. You can either replace them or take them somewhere and have them machined. Getting them machined isn't expensive, but it depends on whether or not enough material if left.

>>13961930

Here's a question though - how did this not come up in a test drive? It seems like you just got fucking screwed.
>>
>>13963003

More like what the fuck did I pay my mechanic for.
>>
Bump. Going to test the car now. I'll check out when the vibrations trigger. Another question: Do you guys get excess road noise when you're driving?
>>
So it looks like the vibrations in the steering wheel get bad when I hit about 75 MPH+. Did a lot of braking didn't notice any heat come off the calipers but it was fairly cold (30 degrees) so I might be mistaken.
>>
>>13964940
Happened to me last winter. This might seem too simple but its worth a shot to check your tire pressure. Last winter my tires got so low that normal driving was fine, but once I got up to 60 the entire car vibrated violently.

If it recently got really cold where you live, check that. And also Rotors and balancing if that doesn't work
>>
>>13962850
An easy way to check brake temp is to just gently press the tip of your penis against the caliper and counting the seconds until you can feel the warmth
5-6 seconds they're too cold
3-4 seconds is optimum temp for normal street brakes
2-3 seconds is fine if you're running aggressive pads and fluid
1-2 seconds means they're overheating and could mean a stuck caliper or you're being too heavy for your current size
>>
>>13965842

Will do.

>>13965890
Pls anon no
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.