[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I keep seeing a lot of references to the speed at which a car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: doge.jpg (4 KB, 212x212) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
4 KB, 212x212
I keep seeing a lot of references to the speed at which a car goes from 0 to 60. While I understand the need to accelerate upon entering the highway, most on-ramps will provide for more than 10 seconds of road.

So if getting up to highway speed isn't the main concern, why is 0 to 60 speed so important?

FYI. I'm a right lane driver and I try to stay within 5 miles over the posted speed limit.
>>
File: KainRosaCecil_Amano.jpg (805 KB, 735x1024) Image search: [Google]
KainRosaCecil_Amano.jpg
805 KB, 735x1024
>>13959442
Also 100 km/hr. A nice, round number dont you think?
>>
muh benchracing
>>
>>13959459
>muh 'muh'
>>
>>13959442
A car with a little punch to it is just nice. My mom wants decent acceleration in her cars despite being a grandma driver because she feels like it gives her more margin of error when merging or if someone's going to hit her.
>>
>>13959442
That's why. You're a right lane driver. You wouldn't understand the desire to go fast.
>>
>>13959442
0-60 means nothing.

The car that's faster to 60 maybe be slower to 90 than the car with the slower 0-60.

It's gearing.
>>
>>13959442
>most on-ramps will provide for more than 10 seconds of road

Most. Not all.
And not all cars can reach 60mph in ten seconds.
>>
>>13959715
Plus many on ramps are uphill or graded
>>
>>13959442
Launching from a stop, obviously. Also generally shows the cars ability to accelerate.
>>
>>13959715
My 2.3l ford ranger takes probably over 15 seconds to hit 60
>>
>>13959545
It'll also turn a fender bender into a high speed collision when she inevitably confuses the gas and brake pedal in the Walmart parking lot.
>>
>>13959442
>is a retard
>and posts a reddit image
didnt ever read past the first sentence, kill yourself
>>
>>13961041
Fuck man. I drove my friend's Smart and it was about 13-14s and that was fucking scary.
>>
>>13959459
>muh strawman

>>13959442
It's a universally accepted metric of acceleration, that's all there is to it.
>>
Bro just get a grand marquis with a 4.slow and cruise the fuck out into snoozeville on your couch with wheels. Put a TV in that shit. Heeeeeeeeeellyeeeaaaaaahboiiii
>>
File: tumblr_nqmaghEUKa1r6i3luo1_1280.jpg (102 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqmaghEUKa1r6i3luo1_1280.jpg
102 KB, 800x600
You don't understand how slow Normie cars are until recently. Some had 0-60 times of 12+ seconds, some will cover a quarter mile before hitting 60mph. That's pretty bad especially entering highways or passing. That's where acceleration counts mostly in normal driving.
>>
/o/ is would be the easiest board to troll if /lit/ wasn't a thing.
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (19 KB, 234x320) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
19 KB, 234x320
>>13959442
>I keep seeing a lot of references to the speed at which a car goes from 0 to 60

Back in the mid-20th century, average consumer automobiles did not go much faster than that. Automobile magazines started to record 0-60 (or other speeds around that velocity) to give their readers an idea of how long it would take for a certain car to reach highway speeds.

Towards the latter part of the century, magazines started to use this measurement as a sort of a mini drag race between cars they've tested. Most of this was in part of the manufacturers themselves who would include the measurement in the ad space they paid for in these magazines.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.