[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth getting ASE certified?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: ase_master_technician_badge.jpg (47 KB, 300x390) Image search: [Google]
ase_master_technician_badge.jpg
47 KB, 300x390
Is it worth getting ASE certified?
>>
I'm currently training an ASE certified tech in my lube bay.

He genuinely believes that a K&N filter adds 15hp.
>>
Depends where you work, but these days probably not, most dealerships rather send you to get factory trained for hybrids or their fancier cars, and most small shops don't care about ASEs
>>
File: ninja turtle.jpg (15 KB, 299x293) Image search: [Google]
ninja turtle.jpg
15 KB, 299x293
>>13959310
People actually believe that?
>>
>>13959315
Says so on the box
>>
>>13959323
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2556

And

http://www.phastekperformance.com/2010-Camaro-V6-K-N-AirCharger-Intake-63-3075-p/kn-camaro-v6-intake-63-3075.htm

The factory must of been very restrictive
>>
I remember I was the only one in my senior high school class to pass both test for my student certification in Collision Repair. And yes it doe have its value in ways like
> Adding to your resume
>Shows that you understand industry regs, and standards
>Opens up more job opportunity like teaching, an because some shops won't hire you without it.
>Shops with are considered more accredited, and can use it as a selling point which helps get costumers, and contracts with insurance companies.

This is what I could think of off the the top of my head.
>>
File: classes.jpg (145 KB, 853x629) Image search: [Google]
classes.jpg
145 KB, 853x629
Is it worth getting an associates of applied science degree in automotive technology?

Pic related is the coursework at my community college
>>
>>13959336
Again depends where you want to work. I would recommend getting a part time job as a lube or tire tech at a dealership while taking your classes. Experience in the field is much more valuable, shops aren't really going to care if you have a degree. The training is good though so it can't hurt to take as many classes as you can, it's good to know a bit of everything.

HOWEVER

The best thing you can possibly do is just not working on cars for a living
>>
>>13959310
This might be a troll.
>>
>>13959360
>The best thing you can possibly do is just not working on cars for a living

This. I am busting ass trying to become a service writer at my dealership to get out of wrenching professionally.

>>13959365
I promise it isn't. He was a pog in the Army before going to UTI on his GI bill.
>>
>>13959310
damn
>>
>working on passenger car ever

Plz dont

>be diesel tech
>easy as fuck to find a job
>starting pay is $16+
>pay increases to $30+ after a few yrs
>service manager makes $35+ and $4k/mo in bonus pay

Mind you this is in a low income deep south area.
>>
>>13962551
16/hr is minimum wage for a teenage burger flipper in a civilized nation
>>
>>13962551
Im in the deep south... I have 0 formal training...I charge $35 per hour labor i work on passenger cars and am booked thru the first of the year...
>>
>>13964101
You are a mobile mechanic or own your own shop? If so, and if you are properly licensed and paying taxes, that's an extremely low rate.
>>
>>13964123
I own a small shop at my home, I am not licensed as a business...I do pay taxes at the end of the year (personal income tax)
>>
>>13962562
and everything is more expensive by relation in said 'civilized area'
>>
>>13959301
They're not a bad idea, they help to fluff up your resume and can give you an edge over people who just have experience in a shop if you've got both your ASEs and experience.
>>
>>13964176
Now you understand why Termi implied 30/hr is good for the deep south. You have an illegitimate business out of your garage with no insurance or licensing, the overhead of your space and tools, and are making barely over that. In wealthy/populated area most shops charge $80-120/hr and pay techs $25-35 flat rate.
>>
>>13964222
bottom line suppose if you were in a small town and dicks auto repair operating out of his drive way cause his dad showed him and he had been there 9 years, or another shop who opened 6 months ago with ASE certs...who are you taking your 2007 G6 too?
>>
>>13964230
Oh yeah I fully understand that...I was just saying that $35 per billable hour isn't chump change in a area where the best of the best jobs top out at around $13..
>>
>>13964268
You should at least create a LLC to give you some shield against lawsuits that aim for your personal funds, probably wouldn't help anyway if someone really goes after you since you aren't licensed but it's cheap and easy to make one.
>>
File: 1439744758011.jpg (112 KB, 1400x1060) Image search: [Google]
1439744758011.jpg
112 KB, 1400x1060
>tfw 2 quarters in to AAS degree

I hate these threads
>>
>>13964296
>2 quarters
It's not too late, go do something worthwhile
>>
>>13964290
It might not hurt but honestly what are they going to say...I took my car to some guys house to do some work and work was not to my liking and now I want to sue him? any judge would be like.."thats what you get for not taking it to a dealership..mr. anon hasn't claimed to be an expert in this field" I think anyway...
>>
>>13964305
I plan on getting a BS in Automotive Tech with a Field Service Operationsemphasis so I won't be wrenching my whole life. This AAS is just a prerequisite for that bachelor's program. I'm not too worried. These threads are just a bummer though.
>>
>>13964320
They will probably crash into a bus stop full of kids while drunk and then their lawyer will say "have you had anyone work on the car in the last 5 years," then get an expert witness saying you torqued the caliper bolt 2 ft/lbs off and since you are unlicensed the entire accident was your fault
>>
nope, don't waste your time and money with UTI either
>>
>>13964358
we can only hope...
>>
File: VW starter pack.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
VW starter pack.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
>>13959301
I am 19 and have one ASE in A5 Brakes and it made no difference at my job other than I can shove it to the baby boomer fucks that say I am too young to know what I am talking about.
>>
No, just find a different career.
>>
ITT: A bunch of sadfags regurgitating what they've heard on /o/ before
>>
>>13964656
I cant speak for anyone else but yes, yes indeed that's what im doing!
>>
>>13964641
Why?
>>
>>13964101
Same here...except we are getting $40 at the moment.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.