[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Letting the car warm up before driving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: cold.gif (12 KB, 509x600) Image search: [Google]
cold.gif
12 KB, 509x600
It's really cold out, so I let my car run a few minutes before I start driving. My understanding is that running a cold engine can cause more wear and tear, so letting the car warm up first will make it last longer. Or something like that.

My question is, how relevant is this for driving very short distances? I just had to move my car across the street, literally drove it half a block. I let it warm up for like 30 seconds then said fuck it and drove it. For future reference, how important is it to let the engine warm up if I'm only driving really short distances?
>>
most of the damage to a motor is done while its warming up
>>
File: image_1.jpg (57 KB, 540x519) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
57 KB, 540x519
>>13957867
Anytime you shut the car off when its not at full operating temps, youre doing damage. If youre an autist like me, youre goal is to have a minimal amount of cold starts and try to get it fully warmed up anytime you drive.
You shouldnt worry about it, but if no ones looking, put it in neutral and push it next time
>>
>>13957872
what does that mean? Like I shouldn't let it warm up at all?

>>13957887
Wait, it's the shutting off that's a problem? If I start it then drive immediately down the block, I could let it warm up there before shutting it off and it would be fine?
There was some snow and it's a bit of a hill, so pushing was not an option.
>>
Doesn't really matter. It's true that it's bad for them, but no point grossly altering your life for it.

If I don't have time to let my car warm up, I just keep it under 1800 rpm or so till I can feel the heat in the heater. I consider even that a bit autistic.

Our 2 stroke race engines we would let them idle till they were 210.
>>
>>13957928
As long as you're not revving it too high while it's cold, the cold start itself is unavoidable.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (129 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
129 KB, 1280x720
If you want to keep your shitbox until your kids (lol j/k) bury you in it, get one of these for the winter and an oil cooler for the summer.
>>
You know how there is frost on the outside of your car when it's cold? Same thin happens inside the engine or at least condensation builds up. The engine can naturally get rid of this water when idling for a little bit, but if you start driving your short distance then shutting off the engine before the water burns off, you are mixing water into the oil. It creates this nasty milky looking stuff.

It's up to you on how long you want your car to last. Short trips in the cold don't help longevity.
>>
Best way to warm up the car is by driving it, obviously you want to take it easy and shift at low rpms
>>
>>13958183
no, just no
>>
>>13957867
>My understanding is that running a cold engine can cause more wear and tear,
true
>so letting the car warm up first will make it last longer.
oh, won't it be running then?
>>
>>13958183
How do people believe this stuff?

Don't worry about it OP. Don't rev it, obviously, but I don't think there is any reason to sit there and wait for it to warm up by idling. I can't think of any reason that driving at low revs would be more harmful than idling while cold.
>>
Alright, here's the run down.

Your cars oil sinks to the sump, or the lowest point in te engine, completely draining out of anything that needs lubrication.

When it's cold, you don't need to let the engine idle until it's warm. It's far more important to allow the oil to circulate all the way around the engine before putting any load on it. At -5c this should only take a few moments, but if it's below -20, I would definitely allow it to idle for at least a few minutes to warm the oil a bit.
This is where 5w and 10w oil come in.

When cold, 10w is thicker, and will take more time to travel to the cylinder head, causing more wear. 5w would be thinner at the same temperature and would lubricate everything much more quickly.

Following that, the best thing to do is not take it too far above 2k and try not to Rev it sharply when cold.

Also, shutting off an engine before its warm is pretty shitty to do. Once in a while it's not bad, but if you do it every day, you will affect the life of the engine.
>>
>>13958252
this may come as a surprise to you but there actually is a difference between 800rpm with no load and 2k+ rpm with load.
>>
As stated earlier, just keep it under 2000 rpm until it's warmed up.
>>
>>13958268
exactly, it warms up quicker with load
>>
>le thick oil maymay

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics
>>
File: 1439375047369.jpg (105 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
1439375047369.jpg
105 KB, 739x742
>>13958268
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-24+at+10.40.37).png (1014 KB, 1005x721) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-24+at+10.40.37).png
1014 KB, 1005x721
most damage occurs on warmup, your best protection is to use an electric oil pump and block heater.

thats really the only way to fully aboid this kind of damage
>>
>>13958266
>hen cold, 10w is thicker, and will take more time to travel to the cylinder head, causing more wear. 5w would be thinner at the same temperature and would lubricate everything much more quickly.
God damn finally. I use 10w-60 year round as recommended, and I tend to drive it immediately after starting it. the oil is so thick when cold.
>>
>>13959852
Which is perfectly fine, unless we're talking -20°C or less.
>>
File: EN1402_YVkHSnVA_White-sludge.jpg (132 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
EN1402_YVkHSnVA_White-sludge.jpg
132 KB, 1600x1200
>>13958241
>>13958263
>I know anything about cars: the posts
>>
>>13958446
Yet it spins even more revolutions before it reaches operating temp.
>>
>>13960322
no, don't be silly
>>
>>13957966
>JK
It's not going to last anyway.
>>
>>13958266
Don't take oil weight recommendations from this guy, read the manual.
>>
what about routing your oil via a t-stat through one of these in your exhaust?
>>
>>13958268
This may come as a surprise to you but it's possible to start driving your car at <1.5k revs and barely any load. By the time you hit the highway, your engine will be warm.
>>
It's extremely damaging. Don't do it.
>>
Drive the car immediately.
The oil pump supplies more oil flow at higher pressure at higher engine speeds.
Also the higher load heats the engine quicker.

I keep the load light (ie quarter throttle) and don't go above 2000rpm till the engine is fully warm.
I also turn off the heater so the car warms up quicker and drive a longer route to work so I'm not in nose to tail traffic idling while the engine is cold.
>>
>>13960181
>disregard someone when their point contradicts your belief
>>
>>13957867
I let mine idle just so the heat is blowing hot and because itll run poorly until the coolant is at about 100* if ambient is below 40.

Oil takes longer to heat than water anyway so going by your water temp is silly id you want the engine 'warmed up'
>>
My neighbor revs the shit out of his v8 immediately after starting it almost every day
>>
Automatic transmissions shift using oil pressure, cold alters the viscosity. I like to wait until the electronic choke drops a bit before expecting it to shift.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.