[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miata general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1447184532746.jpg (623 KB, 1078x951) Image search: [Google]
1447184532746.jpg
623 KB, 1078x951
What kinds of problems do 1990s Miatas have? I'm looking at one with 130k on it. Are the engines interference or not? Any problems with the 96 miata? Looking at one of those too. 150k miles.
>>
>>13957311
>What kinds of problems do 1990s Miatas have?

the owners
>>
>>13957311
Non interference. After 94 they came with a 1.8(if USA) and possibly have a torsen.
No specific problems really worth noting, but here's a great list.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-163633.html
>>
The most common problem I've heard of is the clutch slave cylinder likes going out. Mine did at 216k miles and was a ~$60 fix.

When I bought mine, the water pump was leaking like a mofo, but I kinda think that was due to negligence. The previous owner left the car out in his yard during hurricane Katrina and the entire engine (other than the top) was covered in clay when I bought it.
>>
>>13957363
Should I be worried about the Shortnose crank?
>>
>>13957406
I think that's only on the 1.6. I really don't know and have not been affected by it.
>>
>>13957417
Same. Mine's a 1.8.
>>
File: 1445751588775.gif (2 MB, 350x220) Image search: [Google]
1445751588775.gif
2 MB, 350x220
>>13957316
Sadly true
>>
>>13957417
Arent all miatas from 90 1.6?
>>
>>13957534
"1990s" means 90-99.
>>
I've found a '94 that seems alright, but the mileage is pretty high at 204k, and the soft top's glass window is cracked, so I'd need to plan on a new soft top.
>>
>>13957534
>>13957541
I think in europe they were(think being the key word), but here in the United States, we got a 1.8 in 94 and until 2006.
>>
>>13957566
Dumbass me forgot to ask.
Should I wait for another Miata to come up (which will definitely happen) or should I at least check it out?
>>
>>13957541
>>13957534
1990 I mean.
>>
Is there a decent mistake buyer's guide anywhere? I just got a job, hoping to save up for a miata. Looking to get an NA but I want to know the best year to get, common issues, etc
>>
>>13957578
I'd wait for a lower mile one to come up, but that's up to you. Be sure to inspect the whole car for simple things like oil leaks, shot suspension, exhaust, interor, etc. Just like you would any car, I reckon.
204k miles is a lot, but really not unheard of for miatas.
>>
>>13957588
A quick google got me this.
http://wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking%20Out%20a%20Used%20Miata
>>
>>13957406
>>13957417
89-92 Miatas came with the short nose crank, some of which have been replaced with the big nose crank under warranty. 92.5-93 Miatas came with the long nose crank (which is different), and the 1.8L engine in the 94+ Miatas doesn't have the issue.
>>
>>13957406
check for crank pulley wobble, it only occurs on cars from 89 -91
>>
>>13957311
I own a 96 actually with 115k miles, put about 8k or so of that on it myself.

Things I've ran in to:
HLA noise: This one is goddamn annoying, but there's not a whole lot you can do short of replacing/tearing apart and cleaning the lifters. Different oil weights will help, but honestly all it seems to do is change when it starts making noise (at first start up when cold VS when fully warmed up and driven for a while). I just run 10-30 synthetic and it seems to only do it on startup, occasionally if it's quite hot. Adding some lucas helps.

Slave cylinder: all NA miatas do this. It's very easy to change, only takes an hour or so with a helper to pump the clutch once replaced. You'll go through a pint of brake fluid to bleed it, and make sure it bleeds through a tube in to a bottle that has some in it to avoid bubbles.

Window regulators: I don't think this is as common, but Mazdas design is garbage and uses fucking cables to move the window rail up and down. These fray over time, mine finally gave up on the drivers side recently and I need to replace it still. Doesn't look super easy, and even the manual regulators (like mine) are $120.

Rough 1-2 shift and shifter boots: I guess this is kinda common? Replacing the tranny fluid with new synthetic stuff seemed to help a bit, as did replacing the shifter turret oil and boots. When it's cold out it is still hard to shift, but once the car is warmed up it shouldn't do it really at all. Most likely depends on what fluid you want to use. Also, the boots are a wear item, and you'll way, way more than likely have to replace them. It's extremely easy to do, the center console of the miata comes out in 3 minutes (seriously, I've timed it).

Squeaks and rattles: Get used to it, it's a convertible. That said, the delrin door bushings that some miata sites are selling actually helped with some of them, I got them with another order for cheap and I think it's worthwhile.

They're great cars, and very easy to work on.
>>
>>13957667
>HLA's
I had the same problem, but I run 10w-40 and it went away completely, even on startups. I do live in Arizona, so it doesn't get so cold that 10w40 fucks with the engine.
>>
>>13957667
Is the miata the only car with HLAs? I never heard of them before.
>>
>>13957311
>Wheel bearing failure
>Shaky headlights/side mirrors because of shitty roads rattling your car to pieces (in my case, I need to replace the headlight motor, fuck...)
>Getting less than 24-30 mpg for various reasons (bad cat/fuel filter/spark plugs/etc.)
>Clutch exploding/throw out bearing failure
>Transmission synchros being shit in 1.6L NAs and causing gears to grind if you shift quickly (recommend upgrading to a 1.8 transmission from a junkyard or parts car on CL or whatever)
>Shifter doesn't shift smoothly like it should (get shifter rebuild kit and replace shifter turret fluid - world of difference)
>Rust in the front fenders and rocker panels
>Radiator cracking/aged coolant hoses bursting (I know like four people that have had this happen to them in the last 2-3 years)
>Door locks seizing - can't unlock/open the door (gotta remove the door card from the inside and clean/add lube)
>Windows being a pain in the ass to roll up/down manually or are slow af/nearly unresponsive if you have power windows (like above; clean/add lube)
>Timing belts failing due to never having been changed when it should've been - also possibility that if someone changed the belt, if they didn't tighten every bolt to spec, it could come loose, shred the belt and destroy your valve cover and timing belt cover (I've seen this happen three times) - also you should replace the water pump because it probably hasn't been replaced either
>>13957667
IIRC, it only took me like 20 minutes to pull each window regulator/rail.
>>
>>13960657
Come move down south mane
>>
File: 30546600040_large.jpg (194 KB, 720x399) Image search: [Google]
30546600040_large.jpg
194 KB, 720x399
I need to get winter tires on my 99 NB. I've got a spare set of 15x9 wheels that I wanted put winter tires on and swap them out for the season. I'm having trouble finding winter tires that fit these rims.

I do have aftermarket shocks/springs but the lowered height is minor, around 12.5" for the front and 13" in the rear.

Am I shit outta luck? Will I need to get 14 in steelies? I'd be fine with this if there are no other choices.
>>
>>13961188
looks pretty cool with the NA daisies on there
>>
Where do y'all usually buy the soft top? I was thinking of buying one off of eBay already assembled.
>>
Do 96 miatas have obd2 or 1?
>>
>>13957363
same the dude im buying mine from says the water pump was leaking...
hey nolafag do cars down here rust? because the one im buying is a 92 with only like 59k miles owned by some boomer for a long time so it most likely didnt drive it a whole lot.
>>
>>13961756
I highly recommend Moss Miata; they have a sale going on right now and I saw something about being able to get free shit with your order. I got my Robbins XT economy (zipperless plastic window) soft top from them for $180 (including shipping) when they had a sale on them like two years ago. GoMiata has the worst service and mostly jacked up prices, so fuck them. I don't recall if Good-Win-Racing sells tops - I think they might, you could check them out, too. Why not assemble the top yourself? You'll save money and learn shit. You can get it done in 6-8 hours if you move quick and know the steps, but at most it shouldn't take you longer than a day. Alternatively if you're lazy, you might be able to locally find a complete assembly off a parts car, if you haven't tried that already. I'd highly recommend you buy a new rain rail if you have an NA.
>>13962473
OBD-II.
>>
>>13957311
having the sudden urge to suck cock
>>
File: IMG_20151130_174217_771-Re4ch.jpg (268 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151130_174217_771-Re4ch.jpg
268 KB, 1280x720
>Tfw delivering pizzas with the top down
>Tfw deliver up the mountain and cruise back downhill to the shop in fifth gear, listening to the exhaust burble and pop
>Tfw saw four other pizza delivery drivers in miats
>Tfw seeing friends from miats club during deliveries
This job is fucking great. Need to replace my shocks ASAP tho. Debating whether I should get KYB AGXs and stick with the stock springs for now, or just save up a while and pay out the ass for Flyin' Miata's suspension package with their own lowering springs and upper shock mounts paired with Tokico shocks. Maybe I'll get their sway bars, too, but I already have Racing Beat's installed.
>>13964009
10/10 super original
>>
>>13964009
kek
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.