[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kia optima CEL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
Any mechanics around?

I have a Kia Optima Hybrid 2013.
Been driving this car for 2 years without problems , have about 80K kilometers.

2 months ago the car started sputtering while driving on the freeway and the CEL started flashing. I pulled over and restarted the car and all was well. This happened once again so I took it in to the shop. They said it were bad spark plugs and had them replaced. After that the problem occured again and they replaced the coils. After that the problem occured again, only now restarting didn't help and I had to call AAA. The engine was broken (1 cilinder fucked) , so I had my car in the shop for 2 months waiting for a new engine. Got the car back on friday and all was well. This morning the problem reoccured. WTF

Any of you guys know what could be the issue, since obviously the official kia dealer here doesn't.

Also when they connected it to the computer there were no errors this morning...
>>
>>13955783
Did you try turning it off and back on again?
>>
>>13955814
no haven't tried that...
>>
Korean engineering. Buy from diffrent maker is only option . Tell the shop they can keep it
>>
>2 year old car
>needs a new engine

lmao
Waiting for the gooks to come out of the woodwork now.
>>
>>13955783
Probably the hybrid system is out of whack.
>>
>>13955783
So it had a catastrophic failure?
Seems unlikely to me. Did you ever have any codes scanned? If so what were the codes?
>>
>>13955783
Maybe you aren't describing the symptoms well enough try writing them all down in a clear organized manner
>>
>>13955832
Don't know the code, but it showed a broken cilinder (but that was after they already replaced the plugs and coils)
>>
>>13955839
-Sputtering, shaking car
-No acceleration or power
-CEL blinking
-No error on display
-
>>
>>13955854
>broken cylinder
Like a dead cylinder? Not actually blown up. Just not firing?
>>
>>13955863
I don't know , not a mechanic all I know is they replaced the entire engine under warranty so it has to be a serious issue if they were to that I think
>>
>>13955862
Could be defective from factory
>>
Sounds like timing chain it belt or spark plugs by what you describe I don't think many people will have experience with hybrid kias here
>>
>>13955868
Well it sounds like a manufacturing problem with either a valve train issue or bad rings or bearings. That's all I can think of if they had to replace the whole engine
>>
>>13955913
>>13955922
True, but the entire engine including timing belt etc... was replaced so I don't think it's that.

Also I'm fairly sure there was no problem with the engine itself before but it got ruined by the problem which is now not solved either...
>>
>>13955950
Go to an auto parts store and see if they can pull the code
>>
>I have a Kia Optima Hybrid 2013

lol yeah there's your problem

next time get a car with some reliability try one from these top manufacturers: Ford, Chrysler, Fiat.
>>
>>13955973
>ford, Chrysler, Fiat
>>
>>13955961
Sorry forgot to say I already went to an independent shop too and there were no errors in the system... Same as when I take it to the dealer, no codes, no errors...
>>
>>13955980
Ok Wait.
So the CEL is on? But not showing codes?
>>
>>13955973
Lol ford/fiat? We don't have chrysler here but I'll damn sure never buy a fiat or ford...
>>
>>13955986
It blinks while driving (when it starts to sputter) but when I pull over and turn off the car and turn it back on there is no problem. And when they hook it up there is no log or nothing...
>>
Maybe a beetle or a bird flew inside your engine and died.
>>
>>13955989
You bought a fucking Kia, you get no right to speak.
>>
>>13955995
You'll have to get a tech to ride with you while the obd reader is hooked up. The computer should store codes though.
Is it intermittent flashing? Or a constant on/off like every second or so?
>>
>>13955862
Also when I come to think of it:

-MPG is a lot worse then it was when I first got it
-When I fill it up I never get full tank according to the gauge (only like 7/8)

Don't know if that could give anyone some more ideas...
>>
>>13955868

in the 2011-13 optimas when kia put in the spark plugs, they had spark plugs of the wrong heat range. This would cause the spark plugs to come apart sometime, getting inside the cylinder fucking everything up.

When the deal or whatever changed your plugs they should have put updated plugs, most likely they didn't because they are mindless that don't know shit about cars like most dealer techs.

So boom your issue comes back, and this time it got into your engine.
>>
>>13956005
It blinks like every second, but when I brake or release the gas pedal it goes off. When I try to accelerate again it flashes again (until i restart the car that is)
>>
>>13956013
Yeah I read about that. Could be that but the strange thing is that everything ran fine for 80K kilometers, and now the problem keeps returning even after everything was replaced
>>
>>13956018
Drive by wire system?
Evap system?
Spark advance?
Or like anon above said. Wrong heat plugs causing a knock sensor to freak out.
>>
>>13956000
Rather a kia that used to work than a ford that'll never work
>>
>>13956025

They are problem keep putting the 2013 oem plugs in which have the heat range issues, Switch your plugs for one with a higher heat range and see if that is effecting it.

It sounds like the issue is coming from That
>>
>>13956043
I'll tell them to replace that shit tomorrow and hope that sorts it out...
>>
>>13956018
Sounds exactly like what was happened to my maxima when the timing chain teeth got grinded down and it was ocasionally skipping the track and popping back in. I had similar symptoms.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.