[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Word of warning bench racers need not reply. Any anons here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 21611[1].jpg (262 KB, 810x608) Image search: [Google]
21611[1].jpg
262 KB, 810x608
Word of warning bench racers need not reply.

Any anons here have an aggressive locking differential?
How do you like it compared to a lax locking differential? Open Differential? Spool or welded differential?

Does it scare you with how it jerks and locks up? Or have you come to handle it?
>>
>>13955644
Don't currently own one but I've driven with open, locked, loose LSD and tight LSD.
Tight is a little more difficult on the street. Although no where near as bad as a fully locked diff.
Loose always worked well for my in my RX7 (clutch type) back in the day. Mash throttle and it was on when I wanted it.
>>
>>13955644
I just installed an Eaton Truetrac and I like it. Locks up at first slip and claws like a bear.
>>
>>13955644
Automatic locking differentials suck on the street.
>>
>>13955957
Wut?
>>
With the exception of tire wear spool/welded > everything else. Mainly because it is 100% predictable because it is 100% locked at all times

LSDs from my experience are temperamental about when they pull full lock and as they wear it gets worse. I've had mine lock up mid way through turns in the rain and nearly cause a spin

A decent locker is the best of both worlds
>>
>>13955965
You heard me.
>>13955977
Limited slip differentials don't lock.
>>
>>13955994
You know what the fuck I ment nigger
>>
>>13955644
I just put a powertrax lockrite locker in my 1500 ram. It had open diff, and I get a SHIT ton of snow where i live, so i wasn't about to tackle that with open diff. I got mine for $350 after shipping, best price I could find. Install was pretty easy, only took me a couple hours. It is definitely not made for street driving, but it can be used on the street. I knew that going into it, it drives about how everyone says online. Tight turns it will skip and lurch a good portion of the time, I just pop the clutch in and let it coast, then re-engage the clutch slowly. it seems to be going away as ive been breaking it in. Wide turns, as long as you go light on the throttle, go just fine. I've also noticed on curves in the road it will try to straighted out since it is pretty much always locked up, just requires a little more adjustment at the wheel. I hear it pop once in a while, but I really don't notice the clicking when I turn. Overall I would reccomend it for a cheap fix to the short-comings of open diff, but know what your getting into and be prepaird to change your driving style a little bit.

And btw it really is nice when I need the traction.
>>
>call up Kaaz to inquire about a Super Quiet version of their 1.5 that doesn't need breaking in
>oh, your car is light so you don't need one. you'll save $100
>ok
>break in goes poorly. only manage 20 minutes of figure eights in a parking lot before mall security tells me to gtfo
>swap their oil in and everything is fine for a while
>now I just get endless shudder and clank on slow right turns

Wish I got the Super Q.
>>
>>13955644
Drove a car back to back with and without a Quaife ATB. Could barely tell it was there.
Pretty disappointing really but you might want that.
I think I'd rather have a clonking and banging aggressive one myself.
>>
>>13955644
I had a nismo 2 way in my s15 track car.
Clunky at low speed but never noticed it jerking to lock up.

The behaviour of it was much more predictable and stable than the OEM helical though - lay power down and it wouldn't shift from side to side hunting for traction.

Not scary, just not pleasant on the road. Great on the track.
>>
>>13959877

By clunky I mean noisy.
SnapSnapSnap around every low speed corner.
>>
If you have a locker on a car, that isn't a drag car, you're a full retard.

>aggressive locking differential?
Uhh what. All automatic locking differentials are aggressive..

LSDs are not aggressive at all. You won't even notice that it's there.

as far as auto lockers.. I have one in my jeep and you get used to it, but it is definitely not "safe" and definitely wouldn't want it in a car. It will jerk mid corner if you apply throttle. That's just how they are.

lockers are for drag racing, offroad, and drifting. Nothing else.
>>
>>13959903
I should clarify. a 100% lock lsd is fine. 80% is pretty standard. an auto locker and a 100% locked lsd are not at all the same.

An auto locker in a race car severely limits your ability to control the car with the throttle. If you think otherwise you haven't been anywhere near the limit of the car. It might feel fine if you're pussy footing around on track days, but when you start actually driving it into corners and giving it hell you will definitely notice it engaging.
>>
File: 2hektik.jpg (50 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
2hektik.jpg
50 KB, 650x366
>>13959919
Tell that to the aussies m8
>>
>>13955994
They can, if you want them to. But typically are around 50-80% for a track car.
>>
>>13959924
it's not a 1 way diff. its spooled at all times. and they do that for spec not because it's better. it's to control spending. they use a spec differential with spec gears.
>>
I have an old Nismo 2 way in my 240 and I love it.
I've had an open, and viscous diff, and they were all predictably horrible.

With the 2-way its much easier to control how my car slides, and since it tries to lock on decel, I can easily bring the nose of the car back in line if I'm gripping through a turn and the front is pushing a bit.

It clunks in parking lots, but that's cool. When I'm out driving, it locks smoothly and predictably, nothing weird. All pros, no cons.
Wet or dry, it helps me drive just the way I want to.
>>
I just had a Ford 8.8 Trak-Loc installed, and I confess that I don't know how tight it is yet, but my observations compared to open:

>Cornering in wet conditions is a little squirrelier, particularly if the pavement is rough or uneven
>No more flooring it at stoplights with reckless abandon, since now it'll start to move side-to-side once traction is broken
>Mid-throttle cornering is improved

I wanted a Torsen but I couldn't afford it since I was having to rebuild the entire axle.
>>
>>13959979
>No more flooring it at stoplights with reckless abandon, since now it'll start to move side-to-side once traction is broken
You might need to tighten up your rear suspension.
My car tracks perfectly straight when I'm spinning.
>>
File: You with a bit of practice.jpg (69 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
You with a bit of practice.jpg
69 KB, 1024x680
>>13959979

M8, that's the beginning of a hektik skid. Once you get the confidence up, you can start to tip the car in when the rears feel like they're about to stop spinning and whip sick nuts.

Post webbums.
>>
Have a mechanical locker in the back of an old hilux, ratchets and chatters in parking lots, induces either tons of oversteer or tons of understeer when you boot it Can drive around it in commuting Deadly on ice.
>>
>>13955644
went from an open to a viscous to a welded, much better
>>
>>13955644
Stay lightly on the throttle while turning and it won't jerk, newfag.
Source: I own an fj40 with lockers front and rear.
>>
>>13955644
I'm a fan of atb type diffa, like Quaife.

I had a quaife at both ends of my Subaru project and it was amazing. I originally had a KAAZ clutch diff out back, but did not care for the jerkiness.

Z/28 I currently play with has an ATB type diff out back as well, and I also love it in that type of vehicle.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.