[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Performance" Air Filters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 650x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 650x480
So what's the deal with Sport/Performance Air Filters? Do they improve throttle response or is that bullshit?
I drive a Seat Ibiza 1.4 with 63 kW. Don't get me wrong, I know it's a slow as shitbox but it's my DD and Europoor so no high kW car because of insurance; I don't want to "tUn3" it, I just want a better throttle response.
>>
>>13954551
to do that they would need to have better airflow than the factory
presumably sacrificing some filtration ability
>>
>>13954551
>So what's the deal with Sport/Performance Air Filters?
They don't restrict the airflow as much as regular filters so there should be an improvement in throttle response. On paper. Depends a lot on the condition of the rest of your car. Don't expect much gain if any at all. What's the point in gaining 1-2% on an 85 hp car?
>>
>>13954579
Yea, that's what I thought. I don't want to fuck up my engine with dirt only because the filter is """sport"""
>>
remove passenger seats
change suspension dampers
change tires and suspension geometry
>>
>>13954605
>>13954580
cars in good condition, 50k miles. I don't know when the last owner changed or cleaned them, or if he cleaned them at all. I was thinking that while I'm at it (changing filter), I could invest 20€ more for maybe 1/4 secs better response time.
>>
File: filtercompare.jpg (77 KB, 564x423) Image search: [Google]
filtercompare.jpg
77 KB, 564x423
>>13954605
I do wonder what most of the dust is
my guess is soot from other cars
so odd as it sounds
>>
Probably get better results just cleaning your throttle body
>>
>>13954629
Soot and the dust from abrasion of brake pads and tires are the main components.
>>
>>13954624
Not worth investing a single € let alone 20. IMO.
>>
>>13954551
It might help just slightly.
But "performance"filters usually don't filter as well as oem paper ones. that's how they flow more air.
>>
>>13954551
Someone on /o/ once described them as a single piece of a larger tuning puzzle. Just slapping an intake on your N/A engine and expecting to notice the difference probably won't happen like that. But if you're running forced induction and get a bigger intake AND exhaust, AND monkey around with the boost pressure etc. Then the intake will be important to get more power.
>>
>>13954551
It's bullshit, don't subject your car to it.
>>
If would only help if the stock air filter is a restriction, which 99% of the time is not the case.
>>
>>13954551
its snake paper
>>
>>13955586
This.

I use OEM filters only. If I want to upgrade capacity, I use bigger OEM filters from other vehicles, like trucks/GMC vans
>>
>>13955039
This differs from car to car, some vehicles stock intakes can support much higher power.
>>
>>13954551
Throttle response is derived from intake volume and speed. Get the highest intake speed and lowest volume post-throttle that you can.

Higher flowing air filters result in more intake speed, but if it doesn't do any filtering then your going to mess up your engine. If the filter is placed in a space that has alot of heat, then your going to lose power.

If your going to bother getting one, just do it
right the first time and route the entire intake
somewhere better but for now I would just buy
a new filter.
>>
File: funny man.jpg (22 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
funny man.jpg
22 KB, 720x540
>>13954551
>So what's the deal with Sport/Performance Air Filters?
>>
bullshit 99% of the time
stock air filters are not restrictive.
OEMs are forced to squeeze out every MPG they can, so they aren't gonna use a bad filter.

Westech performance in Cali has a binder full of K&N kits that lost power over the factory filter.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.