[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best books for learning about car basics? I'm looking to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 750x1334
Best books for learning about car basics? I'm looking to obtain a general education on how cars operate, do any of you own any good books on the subject?
>>
Why read when you can watch and have everything explained to you?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClqhvGmHcvWL9w3R48t9QXQ

His older videos have actual technical explanations, all of his newer stuff is reviews ignore that
>>
>>13943026

I'll do that too, but I like to read as well. It helps me retain the information. Thanks for the link
>>
>>13943026
Lots of dubious stuff in those videos

IDK about basics but some books that I've gotten a lot out of -
Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams
Racing Chassis and Suspension Design by Carroll Smith
Tune to Win by Carroll Smith

You don't have to be building a race car to get a lot from these books, they will give you a great understanding of how geometry, springs, and dampers affect how a car handles.
>>
>>13942953
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by William Milliken
Maximum Boost by Corky Bell
Race Car Aerodynamics by Joseph Katz
>>
>>13943026

the problem is there is no order to it. its just a collection of videos on random topics about "how x operates."

I'm looking for a book that assumes the reader knows nothing about cars, and educates from the ground up in a logical structure.

I'm not looking for a book about "tuning" or "racing.". Just a book that covers the essentials that every car owner should know, although car education is basically non-existent in the US unless you go to mechanic school or something.
>>
>>13943219
>although car education is basically non-existent in the US
I wouldn't say that, most high schools have auto shop and most dads teach their sons about cars.
>>
>>13943235
>tfw never got to take a shop class
>>
>>13943235

its optional though. I think car basics should be mandatory, like biology, history, math, etc

and a lot of kids dont have dads nowadays. many parents are divorced. even if they do have a dad, theres no guarantee the dad knows anything either
>>
>>13943219
If you know absolutely nothing, start with wikipedia.
Really, say what you want about wikipedia, but most of the times, especially in technical topics, there are loads of links to actual literature about the matter being discussed.
Plus, wiki can still tech you the very basics.

Alternatively, go to a library that has technical and specialized books about engineering (like the ones you find near universities) and ask for something basic about cars or vehicles in general.

Another great source of information is a workshop manual which, besides teaching you the basic of a lot of stuff, also offers troubleshooting charts, wiring diagrams and detailed instruction about pretty much every job you can do on a car.
They are very specific tho, because every manufacturer has a manual for every car, so you might want to get the one from a manufacturer you are likely to be working with. The thing is, those are EXTREMELY expensive (like in the tens of thousands) so you might need to find other ways to get them from the internet.

I don't have specific books to suggest you, but go to an engineering-oriented library and they will surely give you something good for beginners. Once you are good with the basics, the path splits in basically three areas: engine, chassis and suspensions, each with their own deal of subcategories and extensive literature.
Some high school physics book might be handy too, if your memory is a bit rusty or if you never studied physics at school.
>>
>/o/
>board full of fags who actually know nothing about cars besides where to put stickers
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.