[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a good or bad idea to lubricate the bolts? My new used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: P1010181.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
P1010181.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
Is it a good or bad idea to lubricate the bolts?

My new used car's nuts are on so tight I'm going to need to borrow a breaker bar. Snapping one of those bolts would be expensive too.
>>
Consider this: The easier the bolts are to loosen for you, the easier it will be for them to loosen on their own. Generally speaking lubricating screw connections is on the bad half of the scale.
>>
>>13942917
Don't lubricate any fastener.
>>
>>13942917
You can apply anti seize to studs. Consult your manual, most have wet torque specs.
>>13942931
Not if you torque correctly.
>>13942936
Lube no, anti seize yes
>>
Lubricate on the way out or in?

If you're talking about grease and shit, then hell no.

But nothing wrong with using a penetrating oil or dedicated product to get it out without breaking it.
>>
>>13942955
THIS
>>
>>13942917
>lug bolts are like $5 a piece
I will say I've come across antiseize while working on peoples cars. Not something I would ever do to my own car but some people seem to get away with it. Just try to avoid killing any innocent people when your wheels fall off
>>
>>13942955
>anti seize yes
Not unless specified.
>>
>>13942917
Yes, lube them.
The grease takes up the airspace between the threads which helps them keep their torque. It also makes it easier to get them off.

Source: I've owned an fj40 for 20 years and have always torqued my own lugnuts and driven hundreds of miles of trails and tens of thousands of miles on those wheels with lubed studs.

A Master Mechanic taught me this when I was 19.
>>
>>13943060
>A Master Mechanic
lol
>>
>>13943065
I found the busrider.
>>
>>13943060
Yer daddy don't count boy
>>
Using lubricants on threads doesn't contribute to loosening.
>>
>>13943084
>implying my daddy doesnt count out singles before he folds them in half lengthwise and stuffs them in your mom's quiff at the titty bar
>>
>>13943071
I found the moron who will listen to anyone about anything.
>>
Lubricants increase the preload and torque. When torquing to wet you should always DECREASE the rating.
20% is a rule of thumb on most things, but not always.

This is basic mechanics. If you dont understand how lubricants effect preload, please leave this place.
>>
>>13942917
Don't do it. Buy new ARP studs each time and torque to yield.
>>
>>13943121
>i found the forza queen who has never turned a wrench
>>
>>13942917
only place i would lubricate personally is maybe a light coat of grease where the wheel touches the hub if they are two different kinds of metals. especially if its a nice set of wheels you'd feel bad hitting with a hammer if the wheel ever got frozen on there.

if the threads are buggered up i would replace the studs, just because they're so tight you cant get them off doesn't mean they need to be looser. that's how it's supposed to be so your wheels don't fly off going down the road. if you think the threads are fucked you might can borrow a thread chaser but I wouldn't recommend this with cheap OEM studs.

btw a little dab of assembly grease on the threads when you reinstall it wont hurt anything AS LONG AS YOU TORQUE TO SPEC. lot's of weird advice in here. anti seize would obviously be more ideal, but I've been using regular wheelbearing/chassis grease for as long as I can remember and the only time I've snapped a wheel stud is when I overtorqued one because of a lapse of judgement (using 100lbs setting on a subaru that called for 80 oops)

good luck dont die
>>
>>13943118
I think he's triggered
>>
File: Lube Torque.jpg (331 KB, 1360x655) Image search: [Google]
Lube Torque.jpg
331 KB, 1360x655
>I once heard from a "fo realz" auto mechanic...
>Based on my amateur experience and my powerful gyrating hips...
>Hello, seeker of knowledge. I reign from the honest and accurate part of the internet...

I worry when peoples opinion spreads into fields that require expertise. Anyway, >>13943134 was right but not helpful. Here is a pic.
>>
Oh holy Fuck guys. Put some never seize where the wheel meets the hub and a small wipe the grease on each stud.

Fuck this torque to specs bullshit. Tighten down until right then turn 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn beyond that.
>>
>>13943362
Thank God there's at least two guys in this thread who know their shit.

NEVER lubricate a bolt joint UNLESS it's specified.
ESPECIALLY not on any safety relevant bolt. Same torque with less ยต means more force in the screw. This kills the screw, usually between the head and the threads.

Dry clean the threads on the bolt and the bore. Maybe use a tap and a die to get rid of rust. Nothing more.
>>
Most of you simply read too much bullshit and don't turn enough wrenches. Fathers best friend and the guy he works for drive semis, they all lube the lugs, they use impact guns, they don't whip out the torque wrench and tighten everything to spec. How many times do you think they've lost a wheel?
>>
>>13942955
Thread should have ended here.
>>
>>13943382
>Thank God there's at least two guys in this thread who know their shit.
What, nigga. I already told him not to do this.
>>
>>13943382
>13943604
anti sieze on the hub since I have hubcentric wheels and some oil on the bolts since I don't have lug nuts. use the suppled oem tire iron and get as tight as I can.
>>
>>13943595
>>13943604
You're all retarded, it makes so little difference in the end it's not even funny. You can skip on grease and drive for 10I miles and the lugs won't be looser, they'll be tighter.
>>
>>13943615
Slop on grease an drive for 10k miles
>>
>>13943594
Fairly often.
That's why they have those little tabs they install so they can see if it's loosened.

>>13943369
Nope.
It all depends on application.
You shouldn't be deciding on what you think is tight and a little more.
Some wheels need to be torqued to 90lbs, some to 200lbs.
Think about what you're working on and roughly tighten according to that.
You don't need a torque wrench to put wheels on, contrary to what /o/ arm chair autists will tell you, but you do need to think beyond
>SNUG HER UP AND GIVE HER A LITTLE TUG
You sound like Kilmer.
>>
>>13943622
No, no they've never lost a wheel and they don't use those tabs, these a self employed truck drivers, been driving for 20+ years, do their own maintenance.
>>
>>13943622
>You don't need a torque wrench to put wheels on
You don't NEED one in that you won't fail at putting the wheels on without it, but it's the best practice unless you somehow know exactly how much force your arm produces at any given moment.
>>
>>13943594
This.
Lube your studs, you fucking morons.
Unless you enjoy replacing them. smfhtbhfam
>>
>>13943628
I didn't know you were talking about your specific group of drunk butt fuckers.
Big trucks loose their wheels more often than cars, it's a real concern when you're running equipment that long.
>>
>>13943631
It will not matter in any fucking iota as long as you tighten them down right as you can in the proper pattern.
>>
>>13943631
Torque specs change all the time.
One of my cars came out of the factory with an 80lb lug torque spec.
Years later they decided it should 110lbs.
Torque specs on most things in cars have a very very large safe window.
And incase you didn't know, your torque wrench is probably well out of spec.
It's best practice to do a lot of things, like checking your fluids, air, and belts before every drive.
This isn't an OSHA wet dream it's real life.
>>
>>13943636
This is over the road trucking, I'm using as an example, something where you have more wear and these guys still use grease on the lugs. It doesn't matter enough in a real world application.
What it does impact is when you go to take the wheel off and if the lugs actually come undone or they give you a bitch fit.

Next you'll cite the book that I'm not supposed to put never seize on the threads of a steel spark plug in an aluminum head. Though if I don't I risk snapping the plug or wrecking the threads.
>>
>>13943672
I didn't argue anything about antiseize anywhere or lube anywhere.
All I said is truckers do lose wheels.
>>
File: 754.jpg (65 KB, 518x700) Image search: [Google]
754.jpg
65 KB, 518x700
>>13942917
I have been giving mine a quick shot of WD40 before putting my wheels back on for years. no problems ever. I swap tires twice a year (winter / summer), the salt and shit they use on the roads in alberta makes the luggs a rusty bitch otherwise
>>
>>13943693
>wd40

Switch to a pentrating oil or a multipurpose oil. Wd40 is shit.
>>
>>13943649
>making sweeping generalisations about other 4chan users.

You must be new here mate. But calm down and take it easy. Some of us do look after our tools and enjoy the peace of mind torque wrenches bring.

On a road car I see most places just honking them down tight but in motorsports a lot more people break out the torque wrench (and pratice correct tightening order) for that safety and peace of mind.
>>
>>13943134
>This is basic mechanics. If you dont understand how lubricants effect preload, please leave this place.

Hows the view from your high horse? Very few people understand anything about how lube effects preload.

The only reason I know anything about is because I have arp headstuds that had tons of info about how to do it properly, and why it's done.
>>
>>13943718
It doesn't bring peace of mind.
If you've got significantly stretched threads and you torque to spec you'll lose a wheel.
And I've never ever seen anyone, not even women, not tighten in a star pattern.
>>
>>13943649
>Years later they decided it should 110lbs.
And you, of course, didn't even consider the impetus behind the change and took the change as a reason to support your theory of 'it doesn't matter'.
>>
>>13943744
nobody cares about tightening lug nuts or luv bolts in a star pattern you fuckwit. bolt tightening sequences only matter for stuff like crank cases and shit. usually starting with the innermost and working outward.
>>
>>13943749
It does matter.
But it's not extremely critical for wheels.
80lbs works just fine, I've done extensive research and cannot find a single instance of someone losing a wheel using this spec.
I highly doubt the dealer even knows that the spec was ever changed, they don't even know the part number for the timing belt. I was told it was NLA until I gave them the superseded pn.
>>
who gives a fuck about torque specs on lug nuts?
I mean just blast away with the impact and listen for the change in sound, should be tight then.

Lug bolts on the other hand can be bothersome and be more expensive when you fuck up.
>>
>>13943888
>who gives a fuck about torque specs on lug nuts?
People who don't like replacing wheel studs and like removing the wheels from time to time. But shit, you know more than engineers.
>>
>mfw reading this thread

during my studies some project engineer from an automotive company held lectures about the development of tyres and wheels. he used to say: "when calculating mechanical safeties: always keep in mind that the customer is an idiot.".
He was right.
>>
>>13943929
>He was right.
Yes, he was. I'm amazed at the safety margins you have to build into products (by seeing what they will take and keep functioning) to keep morons from maiming or killing themselves because they are too stupid to read a book.
>>
>>13942936
confirmed for never working on a car
>>
set your torque wrench to 110 nm or 81 flbs make sure studs are dry. manufactures specs will be more ideal. most manufactures do not specify to use any lubricant. brand new wheel studs dont use lube or anti sieze.or specify to use any either. i only see joe bloggs the backyard mechanic putting shit like that on.lol those specs are the high torque specs for a chevy police car.. which is used for high speed chases. im sure ur wheel wont come off dude. oviously u need to make sure to gauge it, as i dont know the size of the stud and nut or the vehicle. cheers good luck
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.