[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking at getting an e90 any factual pros and con's or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
Looking at getting an e90 any factual pros and con's or personnel experiences
>>
Op here - I would not be looking for an M3 not looking to pay the extra insurance for it
>>
>>13942319
>>13942321
I have an 06 330i
>iDrive is useless, don't pass on a car because it doesn't have it
>Logic7 stereo is great, find one with it
>>
>>13942600
Oh and look for the sport and premium packages, sport at the minimum. Comfort access is really nice too
>>
>>13942319
Stop making shit threads and do your own research.
>>
Get cold weather and sports packages.

Don't be afraid of 335s because of a problem fixed 5 years ago.

The coupe hands you your seatbelts, which to an insurance company is an automatic seatbelt...which made the coupe cheaper for insurance for me.

The awd makes the car unacceptably pigfat

If you have an actual question lmk
>>
>>13942659
Any electronic gremlins
>>
>>13942659
>>The coupe hands you your seatbelts, which to an insurance company is an automatic seatbelt...which made the coupe cheaper for insurance for me.
>murrican insurance
>>
>>13942765
The tpms is sort of annoying. Not that it doesn't work properly, but that the range which sets it off is too strict, so it goes off every morning when it's cold no matter what I reset it to.

The non-Nav versions occasionally have the radio screen get a little wonky looking. Mine did it once but is otherwise fine. My old e46 had it as well.

Also...out of leftfield, wearing polarized sunglasses makes your radio invisible. It's like it's 90 degrees off from normal car radios/cellphones. I don't really understand how polarization nor LCD(?) screens work, but BMW did it backwards.

Also the factory tune for the TT is extremely conservative, so be prepared for enormous gains with bolt-ons.
>>
>>13942600
>>13942603
And probably the best thing I've ever bought for my car is a dcan cable. I bought a cheap one for $20, and you pretty much need a laptop with Windows XP to get it to work. Coding can be kinda difficult but using it for diagnostics is he greatest. It'll tell you exactly what's wrong and is pretty much essential.

I've got pretty much every option if you have any questions about them.
>>
test drive one before you buy, you might love it or hate it

get a 335i for dat turbo, preferably a 2009/2010 so you stay with the super tune-able n54 engine

get a stick shift RWD model.

the coupe is very pretty and has a stiffer suspension with its sport package, stiffer than the sedan sport package
>>
>>13943201
Alright man you're the greatest but I have to ask I read a lot of forums about valve covers and thermostats going out and these aren't normal wear and tear items
>>
>>13942946
Which years would be the best to look at
>>
>>13943232
valve cover gasket, it's a relatively easy fix yourself
thermostat+waterpump is the bane of all e90s, its $500 for the pair and kind of a pain, it'll take you most of a saturday. thankfully it only happens once and if you have a way to scan bmw ghost codes (like with that carly for bmw app), you can see it coming a mile away, it throws codes for water pump RPM mismatch.
>>
No, but I own my dick
>>
Alright so I can chime here a little as a i have an 07 335i coupe.

1. Get snow tires if you leave in a snowy area. They are livesavers
2. Find an independent mechanic in your area to save loads of cash
3. Get a 335. trust me. The 328s are boring after you've driven a 335
4. Dont get an xi, they're most costly to fix and who would want to ruin a RWD car?
5. As others has said, get the Logic 7 package. Cons of that is they decided to put the amp right under the left rear taillight, so it your taillight leaks a little (mine did after previous owner replaced them) it will short the amp. Paid 1500 for a new one, they are not repairable.
6. Idrive is optional, but I do like the screen and once you get used to it its fine, albeit a bit slow at times.
7. Get a manual if you can but those as getting rare, the steptronic will be fine.
8. Most of the issues have been ironed out, but still be vigilante and ask for service records.
9. Theres some minor issues, like the plastic peeling off the steering whell, the shifter aluminum rubbing off, etc. These are easy fixes and nothing to be caught up about if you see them.

Good luck, these are great cars and so underrated.
>>
>>13944869
If OP lives in a snowy area, it might be difficult to get a RWD one. When I was looking for cars (335i, IS350, etc.), I could only find used AWD version of them. The RWD ones I found were pretty beaten up.
>>
>>13944949
Op here - I love in the south so snow tires are not important but I'm also joining the air force in January so I'm not quite sure where I'll be
>>
>>13943639
So realistically these are the only problems I need to look for. I was told the n54 engine's were problematic while the n52's are bullet proof
>>
>>13945079
Probably shouldn't buy a car, then
>>
>>13942319
This is one of the best cars on the market. Period.
I've driven 320d (yurop) and it's great - modern bmw diesels are great - very powerful, effortless and quiet. Driving 180 km/h with no problems. The car is fun to drive since it has a "sporty" suspension and steering - it gives you lots of sensory input and has that nice 50/50 balance with RWD. And it's Elliot Rodgers car.
>>
>>13945114
Why not I do spend a lot of time with my car and it wouldn't be till after tech school when I would actually seriously look at it
>>
>>13945181
I thought the balance was 54/46
>>
File: image.jpg (192 KB, 780x770) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192 KB, 780x770
>>13942319
nothin personnel kid
>>
File: mye90_4.jpg (100 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
mye90_4.jpg
100 KB, 960x960
>>13942319

I have a stripper 328i xDrive 6MT sedan. I've had it for like six weeks, I love it so far. The stereo is shit though, make sure you get at least HiFi (with the tweeters by the window.) or you're in for a world of pain if you want to upgrade.

If you live in the US, the turbo/wastegate problems and HPFP are generally covered under extended warranty (but not forever, it's like 7 years, 82,000 miles or something.)

If you live in Canada you're shit out of luck so get an N52 model. I drove several 335s and I still went with a 328i. It's not boring, it's just different. It's fun to wind it out. The 335 is neck snapping fast the NA models are buttery smooth and linear all the way to redline.

RWD with a 6MT was impossible to find. Manual was more important to me than doriftoing so I jumped on the xDrive stick. It grips around corners like a cat on carpet. I'll get a miata with an LSD if I feel like I need to slide.

Coupes are for teenagers and fags, get an LCI sedan if possible.
>>
>>13945193
Because buying a 15-25K car as an E-nothing is a terrible idea, but it's your money and I'm not a financial advisor anyway.

Anyway, I have a 335xi coupe with the automatic but due to baby plans in 3 years, my wife and I agreed we're going to sell it.

And buy a 335i sedan with a 6speed. I doubt I'll ever find a good one with the saddle brown interior though, I'll miss it terribly.
>>
>>13945228
This pretty much
>>
>>13945234
Funny enough in the states, finding an awd stick was impossible so I settled for an automatic. Rwd sticks are everywhere, at least for the coupes. In the sedan it's hit or miss.
>>
>>13945234
>If you live in Canada you're shit out of luck so get an N52 model.
Nope, they extended the warranty in Canada two years ago.
>I still went with a 328i. It's not boring, it's just different
No, it's boring. You're a huge pussy.
>The 335 is neck snapping fast
Yeah, you're a pussy.
>Manual was more important to me than doriftoing
You're fucking retarded.
>Coupes are for teenagers and fags, get an LCI sedan if possible
Sedans are for pussies and people who put their condoms on backwards. You have a slow, AWD sedan. You bought a used car from a 60 y/o librarian. Nobody thinks your car is cool.
>>
>>13945263
>but due to baby plans in 3 years, my wife and I agreed we're going to sell it.
>And buy a 335i sedan with a 6speed.
Hold on to her. 99% of wives will put your dream car in neutral down the driveway to make room for your brand new soul sucking windstar.
>>
>>13945289
>Nope, they extended the warranty in Canada two years ago.

HPFP yes (maybe, i got different answers from different dealers.) but wastegates no, I talked to the service department like five months ago.

If you can show me proof otherwise that would be great.

>hurr you're a pussy
>gotta drift
>i don't need space for the maximum amount of whores

confirmed for edgelord teenager. i'll be riding sportbikes on the track while you're stoplight racing against your boyfriends camaro.
>>
>>13945276

I had a hard time finding a stick shift period... pretty much all cars on the used market across Canada were xDrive automatics. There were a handful of high mileage '07 335i 6MT, but that's about it. I knew manuals had gone out of style a bit but I thought there'd still be a good amount of BMWs with one.
>>
>>13945332
What are you even on about? That's why you're retarded. You're the only one talking about "drifting".
>>
File: noface.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
noface.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>13945228

>coldseel
>also earings arent gurly fuck you khaoskid663
>kevin robinson from school fuck you keven stop showin evryone my fuckin deviantart you peace of shit
>>
>>13945411
Your newfag is showing.
>>
>>13945095
that's true, the n54 has more issues but if you get a 2009 or 2010 with a good number of miles on it (like 70 or 80k, your chance of running into one with wastegate/HPFP issues is vastly reduced
>>
>>13945263
Already did the math for it plus I'll have a stripe going in (2 years of college wasn't a total waste) plus I'll have zero expenses having to stay in the form but the goal was 15k and under
>>
>>13945234
>Coupes are for teenagers and fags, get an LCI sedan if possible

Sounds like someone who's jealous other people bought the right car but his wife wouldnt let him get the coupe because muh baby.
Now inside of driving a cool coupe you drive an average sedan probably leased to some housewife before you.
>>
>>13945752
What are the differences in the sedan and coupe besides the obvious 2 door 4 door
>>
>>13944869
How much do you pay in insurance each month
>>
>>13945808
the coupe has frankly pretty gorgeous styling, different from the sedan

the sport model of the coupe has more aggressive springs and dampers than the sport model of the sedan
>>
>>13945808
Coupe has more standard options. Iirc Xenons and cold weather.

Also the coupe is gorgeous, the two cars have completely different exterior styling.
Coupe only seats 4, sedan seats 5

Awd (even sport package) has higher ride height and front dam, and doesn't have a sports suspension available.

>>13945833
I pay 476/6 months for a 335xi coupe, my 2014 Mazda3 is 403/6 months
>>
>>13945752

I don't have kids or a wife m8, I just think E92's look stupid, because it's a fucking sedan they put a really long door on, rather than a chassis designed to be a coupe.
>>
File: bmw e90 space grey.jpg (210 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
bmw e90 space grey.jpg
210 KB, 1280x960
>>13946315
>e92 looks stupid
uh huh
>>
>>13946234
Any accidents or tickets?
>>
>>13946406
he is kinda right though. the couple looks way worse than the sedan. that door is ugly as shit.
>>
>>13947695
Painfully obvious samefagging right here.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.