[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should I buy a mr2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7
File: 00X0X_bHMqwc1zQlL_600x450.jpg (32 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00X0X_bHMqwc1zQlL_600x450.jpg
32 KB, 600x337
I am considering buying a nice mr2. the owner wants $2500 for it.
what do you think?
>>
File: DSC_3022.jpg (84 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3022.jpg
84 KB, 1024x685
Yes
>>
Do you mind going into further detail, or is yes all I need to know.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>13942046
Lel.
I know where this car is. It has a rebuilt engine. But who knows who rebuilt it. You better ask. Could be a hack job.
>>
>>13942784
>>13942075

its my first car im 18 :)
im buying an aw11 mr2
>>13942784
not that one im not even op haha
>>
>>13942046
Plus he has only that one picture and zero information other than its been rebuilt 50k ago.
Unless you know a lot about mr2s, I dunno man.
>>
>>13942806
shut th efuck up dude and help me
>>
File: 1447116731221.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1447116731221.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>13942788
>18 years old
>:)
>mr2
Lel, mid tier bait son. buy a civic before you hurt yourself.
>>
>>13942808
I am helping you idahbro
>>
why haven't you bought that mr2 yet op??
>>
>>13942816
whats wrong with buying a mr2
>>
File: yandere mr2.jpg (340 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
yandere mr2.jpg
340 KB, 1280x853
>>13943249
>>
>>13943249
Snap overseer is a thing
>>
>>13943249
AW11's fall to literal bits unless you know how to fix the myriad of problems that seem to hit one after another.
Don't get a car that old for your first car, it's not a daily driver car.
>>
>>13943261
>>13943257
why do you think i cant handle it
>>
>>13943271
this is wrong
this is wrong
it has a new 4a-ge engine
its in perfect condition
its not that old and there is no other good car i can buy for my first car
>>
File: MG-F.jpg (117 KB, 787x436) Image search: [Google]
MG-F.jpg
117 KB, 787x436
That came in with the second generation, the early ones were pussycats.
There are other methods of transportation less likely to create corpses.
>>
>>13943275
Handle what. the sudden trying to tie itself around a tree? Or the having a hairdressers car?
>>
>>13943294
what
first of all that isn't even a thing unless i'm driving as fast as I can because takumi is outrunning me
second of all, hairdressers car?
>>
>>13943278
>New
It's rebuilt. Everything in that car is slowly falling to bits
>It's in perfect condition
No. It's old.
>It's not that old.
Yes, it really is.
>There is no other good car that I can buy
Mazda 3, Yaris, Lancer, Corolla, and a bunch of other cars that are less than 15 years old.
You've selected a special snowflake car from the late 80's, and somehow worked out in your mind that it's reliable, affordable and sustainable.

You will encounter a serious issue within the first 4 months of owning it, I guarantee you, and you will be more money out of pocket than you could ever be if you just bought yourself something sensible in your budget, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>13943304
>its rebuilt
nope
it's new.
>no its old
what?
>yes it is
what?
>look at me list all these cars that are way more expensive and not nearly as good
go fuck yourself
>>
>>13942046
Don't buy it if it has t-tops be uses those fuckers are gonna dump rain on you and you might as well be standing under a gutter.
>>
>>13943300
hairdressers car?
Somewhere to keep your buttplugs.
>>
>>13943307
>Mazda 3
>Corolla
>Yaris
>Civic
>more expensive and worse as a DD than a 30 year old MR2

Shut the fuck up kid, you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1424360528351.jpg (186 KB, 600x443) Image search: [Google]
1424360528351.jpg
186 KB, 600x443
>>13943307
You're a pretty bad troll, try a little harder next time, lad
>>
>>13943321

>mazda 3
literally can't be found in this price point
>corolla
Wow, it's more expensive AND shittier.
>Yaris
Why?
>civic
decentish but more expensive
>>
>>13943324
Stop looking at 2015 models, fucking retard.
>>
>>13943323
im not trolling, i want real advice why this would be a bad first car
none of the alternatives that have been posted are better or in the same price
>>
>>13943304
Owned one for 10 Years. 310k miles. Oil Gas air filter plugs. never broke down. have fun with your Yaris. :)
>>
If nothing we say is going to change your mind, why don't you just buy it already? Why did you even bother asking?
Go ahead, get it. Do it. But don't say we didn't warn you if you have to sell it because maintenance got too expensive, something crucial broke and you can't fix it, or you wrapped it around a tree.
>>
>>13943328
i'm not looking at 2015 models, try again troll

im looking at 90s models
>>
>>13943321
If you dont think all of those care are more expensive then you cant add.
>>
>>13943329
Walk into any used car yard that doesn't sell stupid luxury cars. You'll find any one of those listed UNDER 2.5k, with decent enough milage. That's not an exaggeration. Those cars have absolutely no resale value. Nobody will try rip you off with a broken engine shitbox with so many miles that it needed to be rebuilt.
The reason you don't see it advertised is because nobody wants to sell shitboxes like those online. Why bother? it's a fucking shitbox worth less than 2.5k.

Get off of 4chan, and buy yourself a car that you can fuck up for a year or two. You don't even register as a human being on this board unless you have your own vehicular transportation, so stop shitposting and fuck off.
>>
>>13943342
And you can't find used cars for shit.
Literally any of those models can be found cheaper than an MR2.
>>
>>13943354

>needed to be rebuilt
again
it's not rebuilt

I don't want a shitbox, the only shitposter here is you because you want everyone to be as miserable as you.
I for one don't want to buy a car I hate and be forced to drive it for five or so years because some autist on 4chan is convinced that's what I want
>>
>>13943331
And at that point it was only a 20 year old car, with less opportunity for some dumb fuck to cook the engine and neglect the fuck out of maintenance. The point you've raised is that a car that is looked after runs well, right?
OP's car clearly wasn't.
>>
>>13942046
What if I don't need a daily driver, but just want something fun to keep in my parent's garage, work on when I'm back home and drive around in during the summer? Would it be an appropriate car?
>>
>>13943370

the car IS looked after you idiot, how is it not?
>>
>>13943367
A 30 year old 2.5k MR2 IS a shitbox.
And it's your first car you dumbfuck, you'll like it as long as it doesn't break down every 2 weeks.
>>
>>13943380

nope sorry
>>
>>13943367
There are no new 4A-GE engines.
It's an obsolete engine.
You've either got a rebuilt engine in that old car, or you've got nothing.

>I don't want to be miserable and buy a shitbox like you
I bought a sw20 for my first car ;-)

Stop posting. Stupid teenagers are worse than Australians.
>>
>>13943391

so why cant i have an mr2? i dont understand
theres nothing else id rather have
>>
>>13942816
Same im "18" and my first car is a stock track ready miata for 3500 kek
>>
>>13943397
because you're really gonna have to take care of the damn thing, it's a $2500 sports car for fuck's sake
there is no way it's in perfect condition, shit WILL break because it's about 30 years old and MR2s can be a bit of a handful to handle
>>
>>13943379
>I've had no problems for 10 years because I take care of my car
>I've recently had to rebuild or swap a broken engine, because I REALLY TAKE CARE OF MY CAR

Yeah man. You make a fair point. I guess that car is really well taken care of, considering a little TLC keeps them alive for years to come, and that it hasn't managed to keep going without serious money being sunk into it.
>>
>>13943397
Buy a Civic and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>13943408
>sports car
no it isnt
it's $2,000 in good condition, its been taken care of
>>
>>13943397
Because it's a fucking wonky MR2, and you clearly have absolutely no idea about cars except that you like the way it looks, and you saw it in a Mongolian cartoon once, and want street cred

If you desperately want an aw11, find one with a better history, unless the seller is someone you are friends with, in which case you can give them shit if the car breaks down on you, or ask for help learning how to fix it.
>>
>>13943429

>like the way it looks
why are you assuming this?
>cartoon
Why are you assuming this
>street cred
Why are you assuming this?

Stop projecting teenage you onto me.
>>
>>13943419
You're talking about a 30 year old car here. Even if "it's been taken care of" things will break, that shit just happens with old cars. Toyota may be known for their insane reliability but even they can't run for fucking ever.
>>
>>13943419
Just get out. You haven't even read up on the car you want to buy, you just really want to buy it 'because'.
Never go on /o/ again. You're too stupid for words. Just take the bus from now on, retards can't legally get a licence anyway.
>>
>>13943433
Why do you want it then, faggot?
>>
>>13943434
and why can't i fix it?
>>13943437
uh huh, ok.
>>13943440
because it's a fantastic little reliable MR car?
>>
>>13943449
Well, can you? Have you worked on an MR2 before? Have you worked on cars before? Do you have enough experience, tools, money, time and space to fix this thing in the event of a major mechanical failure?
>>
>>13943433
Go through the /o/ archives, you dimwit.
>Headgaskets
>Engine seals

Just the other day an anon got burnt on his face from an exploding oil gasket.

You will spend more time off the road trying to fix the car than on, because you won't have a clue.
>>
>>13943460
nope, that's why I want to start!
>>13943463
What makes you think these things are going to immediately go wrong or that I'll be unable to fix it
why are you so determined to have me buy a shitty car that I don't like that's probably been abused to hell by a boy racer?
>>
>>13943472
Yes, buy an MR2 as your first car.
>>
>>13943449
>30 year old car WITH history of unreliability
>Reliable
You've got your brain cells twisted or something.

Anyway. You've started this thread saying you're considering it as a first car, and asked in the name field whether or not you should pursue it.
The overwhelming consensus is that it's a fucking terrible idea. Your question is answered, kiddywinkle.
No matter how many times you object, rant, and mouth off, that won't change anyone else's opinion.
>>
>>13943480
I just don't understand where all these anti MR2 anons came from
Just the other day I was having a fun covnersation with MR2 guys who got it as their first car AND RX7 owners who bought that as their first car.
I'll never understand why people think everyone should buy a corolla or civic as a first car, as if that is going to give you the driving skill you need.
>>
>>13943472
MR2s are boyracer bait like no other. Just think about it:
>MR layout
>affordable
>great handling
There's no way a $2000 MR2 hasn't been abused. Either something major has failed, or is about to fail.
>>
>>13943495
Yes, now go and buy it.
>>
>>13943491
b8
I didn't start this thread.
and that isn't the overwhelming consensus
>>
Just buy a civic and put a spoon engine in it.
It'll be much faster
>>
>>13943496
>boy racer
but this car is 100% not boy racer
meanwhile all the civics ARE boy racer abused, and more expensive with shitty mods
>>
>>13943472
>Waah! You're wrong, my car-fu isn't an 80's sports car that was abused by a boy racer to the point where the engine exploded
>E-every other car except mine was abused by boy racers, b-because that's what people do in cars that aren't fast!
>I'm 18 and I'm not going to be a boy racer in a beat up old sports car!

Face it, you retard. That car was run hard for 25+ years.
>>
>>13943513
How are you so certain of this? Do you know the seller personally? Did you have a professional check the car?
Or are you just going by whatever the hell it says in the ad?
>>
>>13943519
This post is just spastic and doesn't address anything
>>
>>13943521

he's a really nice guy that came to my house and took me for a test drive while walking me through stick
he collects MR2s and has a bunch of them, his daughter drives a zzw30 turbo
>>
>>13943513
Can you explain why that car is "100% not boy racer?"
Go on. I'm genuinely curious as to what goes on inside your mind to be this pigheaded about a car that everyone knows is a special snowflake that needs to be babied.
>>
>>13943533
So you know that this collector has had the car for 30 years, and has never, ever abused it. He's never ridden it hard, and the engine just packed it in for no good reason.

And this collector suddenly wants to get rid of a car he's had for 30 years.
Not suspicious at all.

It's got nothing to do with the engine problems he's had.

He's just really hard up, financially, right? He needs to sell that car for 2.5k because he needs your lunch money to.... Buy his daughter a bigger turbo?

>>13943527
>I'll just pretend that I don't understand, because it's easier than explaining why I'm wrong
>>
>>13943565
>engine problem
What engine problem?
He just has a lot of cars, I don't understand
>>
>>13943570
Yeah, I'm sure that he's selling you the best car from his collection that has no issues at all.
>>
>>13943581
i never had that misconception
its in better condition then most anything else i can find
but why would it have engine problems? it sounds and looks really good, it drives good
>>
Question not related to retard chavs

Are spyders decent mr2's? The only problems i hear are the shitty interior and lack of storage space. I'm looking for a weekend car that does decent on gas. I assume those rear engines are a bitch to work on tho unless they have access panels like some of the 911s.
>>
>>13943619
Honestly m8, storage ain't bad. The compartments behind the seats can fit a bunch of shit.

As for petrol, fill er' up with $20-30 once a week and a half. Engine bay is decent as well, since the 1zz engine is so tiny. It's workable on it's own, but if you take off the rear panel, you've got yourself a huge area to work with.
>>
>>13943519
>>13943521

MR2's are mid-life crisis cars desu senpai
>>
Why does it not have the sideskirts on it? Looks weird without them.

I bought a mk1 mr2 last July, don't understand some of the comments here about unreliability
>>
Since OP won't post the add then I will
https://boise.craigslist.org/wto/5313463136.html
>>
>>13943966
People are dumb mang
>>
>>13943966
The guy is trying to buy a pretty niche car from some sketchy dude.
It's cheap as chips, and had engine problems in the past.
He's also never worked on cars before, and it will be his first car.

People aren't complaining about unreliability, really, it's just that they are trying to help the fool out from making a financial mistake. It's a project car that you tinker with once you have your affairs sorted. It sounds like the 2.5k is all the money he has.
Can anyone in good conscience tell him that it's a brilliant idea to go with THAT particular aw11?
>>
I have no idea who the other guy is but I am OP.
It is not going to be my first car that was a monte carlo ss.
I have read heaps about this car and simply wanted some personal advice from a crowd I thought could make a good argument.
This car is extremely comfy on the interior (I know because I have sat in a few), it has amazing handling, 0-60 in 8.6 1/4 in 16.5, reliable as a Toyota, and very easy to source parts for.

I have plenty of experience fixing cars.

Idahbro if your still reading despite the childish language
Do you know anything else about the car?
Have you looked at it, and would you?

I almost forgot the owner bought it from a neighbour (who I have talked to) to rebuild it. (and yes he likes to go fast)(and yes I like to go fast)

I would have posted sooner but the clover app keeps giving me an error.
>>
It has 200,000 miles
>>
>>13944105
IT DOESN'T HAVE ENGINE PROBLEMS
I'M NOT OP YOU FUCK
>>
>>13945147
Idabro here
I haven't looked at it but I think it would be worth getting as much info as you can. And thoroughly check the engine bay for things rigged or out of place. Check motor mounts too. Ask what rebuild kit was used. Ask if it was plasti gauged. Ask who did the machine work... Etc. Etc.
I've rebuilt a 4age and had 3 mk1s. They are pretty simple. But if the guy was a moron then its easy for things to let go and blow up
>>
>>13942046
It looks like there's rust starting on that front wheelwell
>>
>>13943973
>Great shape
>Burns rubber
Yeah, he hasn't abused it at all.
>>
>>13946701
for the last time
im not op
>>
>>13946705
you're going have to do better than that OP
>>
BASICALLY:
anyone looking for a daily outside of Australia, you will need to find one without rust and one with a rebuilt engine/ all suspension components updated (bushes, shocks etc). I say outside of Aus because we have a hell of a lot of rust free ones.

People looking for a project:
Pick literally any aw11 with straight body panels. Surface rust on body panels is no issue and can be fixed at home. If you're not good with tools this is a perfect place to start. I started on an aw11, and the skills were transferable when I bought an ae86. Get the Haynes manual. Replace the suspension parts. Replace the clutch. Replace all the fluids etc etc. it's a normal car, and you can buy it as such. the engine isn't even that hard to work on, despite what a lot of people say about it since it's a midship. You can't get an easier car (mechanically) to learn on. Go for it.
>>
>>13947124
I'm in America , the car is rust free
Has a new 4A-GE
Seems well taken care of
>>
>>13943389
You're that same retard that shows up in the Honda threads asking something stupid then responding to everyone with the most autistic posts.
>>
>>13947285
No I'm not.
I just wanted to know about this mr2 that's in really good condition
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.