[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Commuter bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Goal: Efficient, reliable commuting motorcycle
Should be nothing too unwieldy, looking to purchase it as my first bike.
Minimum top speed in the high 50s.
5'11", 155lbs
Budget: $3500
Suggestions?
>>
Go to /dbt/
>>13940981

But first chek for ninja250 and gs500
>>
File: 1423374923384.jpg (14 KB, 279x229) Image search: [Google]
1423374923384.jpg
14 KB, 279x229
If I were you, (which I was 4 years ago) then I would search for a medium mileage ninja 250. For 3k USD you can get a great example, especially if you're willing to get a bit of an older model. These starter bikes will always have a market and if you spend ~$3,000 now, even after 2 years or even 5 years if you've taken great care of it, you can still end up selling it for the same you payed for it.

Many folks will say start on a 600cc bike, but I'm a firm believer that a new rider should learn the way they should ride on a bike that's very forgiving. A 250-300 is just that.

If you think after 3 months you're going to be bored with the smaller engine, I encourage you to YouTube m13's video about a 250 racing around a track. If you think you can keep up with him then go ahead and buy a bigger bike, but until then - think more about if you need or can really take advantage of a larger engine.

As far as why I recommend the ninja 250 over the cbr 250 of the 2010 era is because the fuel efficiency of the cbr - though higher - is negligible compared to the ride quality, bike feel, and power which will be much more apparent to a rider with your build.

Ask me more
>>
File: R1150GS_yellow.jpg (3 MB, 2856x2142) Image search: [Google]
R1150GS_yellow.jpg
3 MB, 2856x2142
>>13941989
1 1 5 0 G S
G
S
>>
Turbo busa or nothing
>>
Not OP but in the same boat.
My father in law is going to teach me to ride on a 1989 honda cbr600 which would be awesome but the bike looks like it came out of a fuckin 80s music video. It has fucking neon pink.
So I'm going to buy a bike looking to spend $4000 or less and I've read that it's not a good idea to start on a 600 or bigger, but 250s have like a max speed around 65 mph.
I've been looking at 300s and 500s but I can only determine so much from horsepower and top speed.
I'm going to be commuting from Fullerton to Riverside for fellow Californians to reference.
For anyone that doesn't know what that means, that's about 36 miles on one of the worst freeways in southern California.
TL;DR need a good commuter sport bike that can break 75 mph for under $4000
>>
I have a 1990 Kawasaki ZX-1100-C1 which (when originally tested) seemed to post a record 176mph...which made her the quickest/fasted production motorcycle one could buy, for 5 yrs running...until the Honda CBR-1100-RR 'Blackbird' hit the open-market.

I drive my Kawasaki at 65mph everywhere I go.

Why drive so 'slow' compared to everyone else ? No...NOT to '**** everyone off'...but simply because I have NO NEED to drive any faster.

It was (and continues to be) the absolute BEST possible bargain I could get, for the money I had in my pocket at the time. Also ? because at 65mph my Kawi returns no less than 85mpg, which is a hell of a bargain, considering it only takes @ $4.00 to top-off the tank.

And no, it's NOT 'only' designed to 'go fast'; that is simply what YOUR immature-brain is able to come up with, because ALL you know how to do (out on the open-road) is 'go fast'.

"There is more to life, than increasing it's speed." - Ghandi

One way or another, you'll figure it out someday.

Why do any of YOU 'need' to drive faster ?

Seriously....WHY ?

OHhhhhh....I SEE...it's because you've got 'places to go, things to do, 'peeps' to see, etc, etc...

Mmmkay.

My advice ? don't whine and complain about the higher gas-prices next year then, when they end up over $5.00 gallon...because it's heavy-footed, hyper-tensive MORONS like YOU people who drive like fricken' MORONS, who are pushing the fuel-producers to the limits of what they can handle.

Bottom line: ya got NO reason to be driving 90mph everywhere you go. There's just NO justifiable reason. Period.

The only reason you do it, is because you WANT to.

Trust me...thing$ are about to change, and in a BIG way. Might wanna consider 'adjusting your habits'.

Just sayin'...

God Bless, and be careful out there...the 'silly-season' (Thanksgiving/X-mas/New Years) is almost upon us.
>>
>>13942142

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the cbr250. I think it's a better city bike than the ninja 250 because you don't have to wring it out as much to get to the power.

OP might find it more comfortable due to his height though.

>>13941989

I'd also suggest a DRZ400sm.
>>
>>13942901
Not trying to rip down the freeway
The reason I'm going to be commuting from Fullerton to Riverside is actually because I'm going to be a cop
I asked for a bike that could break 75 mph because that would imply that it would be more stable at regular freeway speeds
Btw forgot to include that I'm 5'10 and 215 lbs (10% bf, I'm not a manatee)
>>
>>13941989
>3.5l/100km
>top speed of 85-90 and perfectly happy to chug along at 60 all day long
>ergonomics better suited for 5'11" than the ninjette
>abs option to help you ward off Ms. SUV and her cell phone wand of death
cbr250r would be perfect for you. I'm 6'1 and it's just a bit too small but you should be golden
>>
>>13941989
You can get an Sv650 for about that and the top speed 135ish, and your MPG should be 40+ if you're not speeding everywhere.

Its also a great beginner bike, as its what I started out on.
>>
Have you considered a scooter?

I have a 125cc Yamaha Riva and I go past 60mph on a daily basis and if I go for it on a long stretch, I can reach a little over 75mph after a while. I get 80mpg and save a lot of money for my other hobbies.
>>
OP here, thanks for the input all. Being someone new to bikes the recommendations help to open up my options.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.