[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Tekton the new god of DIY tools?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 303x166) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 303x166
Is Tekton the new god of DIY tools?
>>
>>13938381
Where can I purchase and learn more about this new up-coming tools brand, kind gentleman?
>>
Literally who
>>
>>13938400
My buddy said he saw them at home Depot, but I get them on amazon. Needed a cheap 3/8 breaker bar, and the tekton one I got was under 10 bucks and good quality. Been using it about 8 months now with no complaints, but fuck, it's just a breaker bar.
>>
>>13938381
What lol?
Snap on > Sidchrome > Kincrome > Stanley > JBS

Any of them are honestly as good as each other, you only get snap ons if you want to say "i have snap ons in my tool box" seen as they all come with life time warranty.
>>
>>13938381
Never heard of them ever, so probably no
>>
what brick and mortar store has this special thing?

at least i can get really good tools at my fastenall even though i hate that store in general.
>>
>>13938381
no. While things like Snap-On are over priced, the real thing that makes good tools "good" is the machining. Good machining is just too expensive to sell a 135 pc set for $63.

http://www.tektontools.com/All_Products/1859

The tools are probably fine for DIYers who can hardly change their oil, but if you are even remotely interested in serious DIY automotive repairs spend the extra cash and get something good. Good tools are things you should only buy once
>>
>>13938381
If you're in the US just buy craftsman. Decent quality and lifetime warranty. Can't beat it.
>>
>>13938470
Craftsman professional series are some of the best DIY tools of found for the price. They never dig into your hand even after hours of wrenching. And if you break one everyone I guarantee there is a sears with in 30 minutes of wherever you live. Tolerances aren't as good as my mac tools but for 1/3 the price it's not worth bitching about
>>
>>13938470
i cant stand their ratchets.
they were nice in the early 90's but the current design blows ass

unfortunately mine are Stahlwille and i do not love them either.
>>
>>13938492
Yeah craftsman's new ratchets are terrible. I lover the feel of my craftsman max axxess ratchet however, and will probably pick up a tekton low profile 72 tooth to try, since it's pretty much the same shape as my max axxess.
>>
File: IMG_3490.jpg (52 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3490.jpg
52 KB, 800x600
>>13938528
i like this style, who makes them like this new?
i remember seeing one and i forgot the name
it had an extendable handle
>>
>>13938541
Swivel head. I've seen a tekton one like that, but i don't think it was as low profile as that. Or maybe it was a gear wrench.
>>
File: 1492_1_item[1].jpg (20 KB, 288x193) Image search: [Google]
1492_1_item[1].jpg
20 KB, 288x193
>>13938541

Tekton has one. Not sure how good it is, but the Tekton impact driver I have works great. Same with the speciality sockets.

Anybody know of a flex head, extendable handle 1/2 drive ratchet? I have a nice Stanley one that is 3/8 and basically want the same thing but in 1/2.
>>
I use pretty much Craftsman everything (sockets, extensions, screwdrivers, bits, etc), Kolbalt air tools, Makita power tools, and I have a few Snap On things I use a lot, like ratchets, an electric impact driver, etc.

Feel like that's the best way to get quality for the money
>>
>>13938578
Most of my stuff is Craftsman too. But honestly, after discovering tekton I don't think I'll buy another craftsman if tekton makes the tool I'm looking for.
>>
>>13938557
yeah that ones super nice but it was an OTC and i guess thats bad.

got a link to the one with the 3/8 one like that with extendable handle?
im googleing now and dont see any as slim (low profile) as that one
>>
>>13938600
OTC? Over the counter?
>>
>>13938607
Owatonna Tool Company bro

i think they are out of buisness
>>
>>13938615
Ooooh ok.
>>
>>13938492
buy nice ratchet + craftsman socket set

ez lyfe
>>
as far as hand tools, craftsman everything desu
rest of my shit is harbor freight, sunex, makita, hobart, fowler gauges.

fuckin set m8 dont need nothin else
>>
>>13938638
im looking!

how about Cornwell TOOLS CTG-3RST

suggest others with this style, but the extendable handle.

my search is not going well
>>
Snap On tools absolutely not worth the price.

Source: snapon corporate whore (me)
>>
>>13938434
Sidchrome's quality isn't anywhere near what it used to be, and I'd say Kincrome is the better buy even for the same price these days.
I've found Repco branded tools (not the El cheap drop forged Mech Pro) are top notch too, and come with the same life time warranty Sidchrome used to have.
>>
>>13938694
Sidchrome are not even in production anymore, to get sidchromes they have to be old tools and they are generally really fucking expensive.
>>
>>13938381
If you don't have any tools, you'd be hard pressed to fill a tool box for less money with decent quality tools. Tekton is the shit.
>>
>>13938707
>Sidchrome are not even in production anymore
Bullshit. They've been made in China for the last 20ish, and are still being made to this day owned by Stanley.
Having said that, the combination spanners and 3/8 drive set I bought 13 years ago are still just as good as the old Australian Made Sidchrome (the 14 and 17mm spanners have copped a hiding from the gimpy numerous times), although the last 1/2 drive socket set I bought a couple of years ago just felt like a Stanley ratchet.

You're right about old Sidchrome though, finding Aus made Sidchrome these days is like trying trying to buy collector's pieces at collector's prices.

KC tools is another honourable mention. I look at what a lot of the diesel fitters have on their LVs, because if it works in this field, it can't be bad.
>>
>>13938470
Craftsman is just barely above harbor freight in terms of quality.

Their claim to fame is a lifetime warranty at cheap prices, but there is virtually no way to breal them because their ratchets and wrenches are so short they don't allow for any leverage and their sockets will slip before they break.

The majority of my tools are craftsman but I don't enjoy using any of them. They're built worse than most Taiwanese tools.
>>
>>13938444
>Implying
They're all drop forged. The difference is the source of the metal.
>>
>>13938381
I honestly don't see why people buy anything but Matco and Harbor Freight.
>>
File: ethan-carter-08.jpg (51 KB, 626x346) Image search: [Google]
ethan-carter-08.jpg
51 KB, 626x346
>>13938444
Nice trips
>>
>>13939530
>been made in china for the last 20ish
As i said, not in production any more, once sidchrome went off shore their tool quality went to absolute shit.
>>
>>13938541
Snap on do
>>
>>13938688
They are worth the price if you need that level of quality.
>>
>>13938434
No that's not correct. the same warranty does not mean the same quality tool. Kingchrome is hobby level junk, snap on are far far above their level of quality. I own both brands and use them everyday at work. That said, sidchrome 440 series spanners are pretty cool.
>>
>>13938541
I have a Kobalt swivel head and it's really nice.

There seems to be to swivel designs out of Taiwan right now. One with a quick release button that you can't take apart, and one with a little torx screw.

The kobalt one is the screw style that you can take apart.
>>
File: ss (2015-10-29 at 04.24.34).png (4 KB, 98x63) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-10-29 at 04.24.34).png
4 KB, 98x63
>Buy craftsman hand tools at flea market
>Flip them because they're covered by the lifetime guarantee
>People on forums mad at me because I get hundreds of dollars worth of tools for less than 50 cents a pop.
>>
>>13941400
i couldnt find it, only used ones?
>>
SUNEX
U
N
E
X
>>
>>13938444
Snap-On gave licence for Tekton to use their patents.

They are literally the same thing.
>>
>>13942382
>buy american made craftsman at the flea market
>trade it for new made in china craftsman harbor freight tier junk

Literal retard.
>>
>>13942382
You cannot be this retarded.

Those old craftsmans are way better then the modern chinaman junk they sell now.
>>
There's a tekton deal on amazon until the end of december, $15 off an order $50, I'm probably going place two or three orders throughout the month
>>
File: 03-307-044-TS.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
03-307-044-TS.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
>>13938381
i like my screw and small electronics set i got for like 30 bucks i think, some of the bigger pieces i used the most got a light bit of rust but it was my fault and the small electronics shit is is still good and useful as fuck but i do see the ratchet thing eventually breaking since it feels chinky but its held up fine and Ive tightened down useless shit to the point of stripping lol

the electronics bit and driver are good and if anything built better than the rest
/endshilling
>>
Just ordered a pry bar set, ratchet, and some other goodies
>>
I don't see what's wrong with Harbor Freight tools for working on your own car. The ratchet set I use is a Stanley, though.
>>
>>13938381
In all my years I have never seen a thread like this.

Smells like viral marketing.
>>
>>13945527
There isn't anything wrong with it, bench wrench-turners however like to argue that if your socket set must cost at least half the value of your vehicle.
>>
>>13945551
you haven't been on here much have you?
>>
>>13942734
Not that I'm saying tekton is bad, but blueprints and execution of those blueprints are two entirely different things.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.