[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently I started hearing a metal grinding sound while driving.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Recently I started hearing a metal grinding sound while driving. When I stopped I looked at my rear drivers side wheel, and this is what I saw. Is it anything I can fix myself? How much would it cost? And is it OK to drive till I can get it fixed?
>>
It's rusty. Drive around till the rust is gone and you'll be fine. Unless the sound is from somewhere else
>>
>>13938331
baka. you blew your flux capacitor.
>>
>>13938341
I'm looking at the metal piece behind the rotor. It looks all bent inwards compared to the rear passenger.
>>
>>13938419

Ya they can do that. But its probably worn out brakes or something else. There would be visible contact if they were touching something
>>
>>13938468
I'll double check in a bit if its touching anything. But the brakes being worn out would make a grinding sound while I'm driving and not braking?
>>
Scrapping noises usually indicate the pads are worn down. Don't drive on worn pads, they can damage your rotor. Have your brakes inspected, or do it yourself.
>>
>>13938481
OK, thanks. How hard would it be to do myself if I don't know shit about cars? lol
>>
>>13938506
Easy as hell. Just take the old ones out and put the new ones in.

And don't buy the hype about fancy pads or fluid. They're like HDMI cables, in that they either work or don't. Get the cheapest that fits.
>>
>>13938506
If you have to ask, too hard.

YouTube brake change videos
>>
>>13938331
How fucking retarded can you get. If that metal disk is touching your rotor while you're driving, take the wheel off and bend it back. Fucking common sense man
>>
>>13938704
>>13938331
Not necessarily.
A warped, rusted out backshield can result in bits falling off and getting fucked up inside the drum itself.
Happened to me, the handbrake shoes and all the springs were all warped and fucked up and would sometimes engage on their own.
It's possible that you'll have to replace everything inside the drum.
>>
>>13938749
fuck, I'm broke till Christmas when I get my bonus. ugh fml
>>
>>13938961
It's okay, you can just disconnect the shoes from the handbrake cable meaning that only one wheel will be egaged by the handbrake and the warped drum won't be.
You'll have to leave your car in gear everywhere until you get enough money to fix it properly.
Plus you don't even know whether this is the case with your car, get it properly checked out first.
>>
>>13938331
Oh shit OP, your backing plate is bent.
That's definitely not a cheap fix, Gonna have to schedule to get that re-aligned or possibly replaced; which will require that entire suspension system/axle to be pulled. And while your at it, new brakes, struts, and wheel alignment just to be safe.
You should never skimp out on something this serious.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.