[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Mazda calls its variable nozzle turbocharging Dynamic Pressure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: p1j11211l.jpg (52 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
p1j11211l.jpg
52 KB, 620x465
>Mazda calls its variable nozzle turbocharging Dynamic Pressure Turbo technology.
>the 2.5-liter Skyactiv-G engine can spool up more quickly at low rpm. The method works by sending exhaust air to the turbine through three smaller exhaust ports at low rpm, quickly creating boost pressure of up to 17.4 psi. Three larger ports open up via a flow control valve when the revs climb. Mazda describes the idea as putting your thumb on a running garden hose to restrict the water flow and increase the force of the stream, thus spooling up the turbo sooner.
>Mazda also uses a special method uncommonly seen in gas-powered passenger cars to keep engine temperature down at high load to prevent fuel enrichment, a cooled EGR. By using a special (and rather pricey) module to cool exhaust gas that’s recirculating through the turbo, the engine is able to reduce internal heat and thereby maintain an impressive 10:5:1 compression ratio. But the benefit will be seen more by consumers than the EPA testing lab, Mazda said.

Why didn't this exist sooner?

Now put it in an MX-5 and Mazda3.
>>
>>13933648
>By using a special (and rather pricey) module to cool exhaust gas
that's why
>>
>>13933674
That part doesn't actually do anything in EPA tests to increase fuel economy.

I mean the valves before the turbo to spool it up faster.
>>
Sounds like it'll be expensive when it goes kablooey.
>>
>>13933648

>Why didn't this exist sooner?

This has been around in many forms for quite a while. Maybe not specifically a valve to change the flow, but Duramax engines have had variable vane turbos for a while, which accomplishes the same thing. Twin scroll turbos operate on the same idea. Pretty sure Koenigsegg had some sort of similar turbo design as well, except I think theirs was a twin scroll design combined with a valve that directed flow between whichever scroll they wanted.

If I remember correctly, there was a company back in the 80's offering variable vane turbos. The tech has been around for quite a while now....
>>
>>13934080
Yes, but not quite like this.

Supposedly it accomplishes the same thing as a twin scroll, but the exhaust gas is being sped up before the turbo.
I wonder what other advantages there are, or if it's just cost. They mention that there are 3 small valves and 3 large ones and I think that it's behind a 4-3-1 header.

A VGT/VVT is a lot more complex and probably the best, but also expensive.
>>
>>13934080
>If I remember correctly, there was a company back in the 80's offering variable vane turbos. The tech has been around for quite a while now....
VVT have pretty much been only on diesels except for recently on Porsches? They couldn't handle the heat from a high performance gasoline engine.
>>
>>13934414
Nigga Toyota has been pumping out VVT for years
>>
>>13933648
>using an egr cooler when not absolutely necessary

Fucking dropped. Egr coolers are garbage.
>>
>>13934504
nice bait
>>
>>13933998
>I mean the valves before the turbo to spool it up faster.
Variable geometry turbos have been around for a long-ass time. Quick-spool valves on twin scroll turbos have too. This is nothing new at all, just marketing hype to make you think it is.
>>
>>13933648
it seems like a quickspool valve type thing in principle
would love to see how well the egr cooling works
>>
>>13933648
>uncommonly seen in gas-powered passenger cars to keep engine temperature down at high load to prevent fuel enrichment, a cooled EGR.
>>
The old mazda turbo ii had a twin scroll turbo. Peak torque under 3000 rpm, iirc.
As far as erg cooling goes, I'm intrigued. Egr already cools the combustion, by distancing oxygen and reducing fuel consumption, doesn't it?
>>
>>13937362
It also increases carbon deposits in your cylinders and fills them up with coolant when it fails.
>>
>>13937376
>termi
>thinks he knows what he's talking about
Cute little feller
>>
File: 1412356500854.png (205 KB, 473x348) Image search: [Google]
1412356500854.png
205 KB, 473x348
>>13934509
>>13937376
y u so mad tho nigga aint nobody talkin about crappy ford implementations of egr coolers on junky ford diesel engines, son
>>
File: Captainsparrow.jpg (144 KB, 1242x900) Image search: [Google]
Captainsparrow.jpg
144 KB, 1242x900
>>13933648

>too retarded to know about EGR valves that use the same principle and how they destroy your engine like cigarettes destroy your lungs.

Kill yourself.
>>
Wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to have one small and one big turbo?
>>
>>13937393
>too retarded to realize what year it is
>extra retard-boosted to know that even 80s EGR valves were not problematic when designed right, and not by ford.
>>
Mazda needs to make more of these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJHAr4wA2fc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4GDaUP7gA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EEbMxAho0
>>
>>13937410
Not really
>>
>>13933648
>Why didn't this exist sooner?
Variable turbine geometry has existed for at least 10 years. I'm tempted to even say 20 or more.
>>
>>13933648
>By using a special (and rather pricey) module to cool exhaust gas
still cheaper than a bunch of battery and dc brushless motor.
>>
>>13937421
Is it variable geometry turbo, or is the dynamic pressure turbo based on manipulation of the exhaust pulse timing? I don't even know what's happening right now can you tell me?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.