[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any good educational resources for teaching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1407191018235.gif (1 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
1407191018235.gif
1 MB, 360x202
Does anyone have any good educational resources for teaching yourself about cars?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (68 KB, 810x1111) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
68 KB, 810x1111
the manual for your car bro
>>
>>13933367
Experience. I bought a beater for cheap and just fucked with it. Learned alot by doing that. Shit like why properly grounding things is important, why back pressure in your exhaust is a good thing. I also apprenticed at a shop but that was kind of a fluke tho it couldnt hurt to go around to small shops and see if theyll hire you as a tech or some shit. Otherwise google and basic auto manuals
>>
>>13933367
College
>>13933381
>>13933506
Wrong
>>
google books about automotive engineering and read them
>>
>>13933520
>college to learn about cars
laughing at you right now
>>
>>13933520
Yeah don't forget how to properly fuel your car 101 and tire gauges and their impact on society 112. Those 2 classes changed my life.
>>
>>13933528
>>13933506

THERE ARE MILLIONS OF FUCKING LINKS ON GOOGLE

THAT DOESNT HELP ME

FUCK YOU /o/

WORTHLESS ASSHOLES.

AT LEAST OTHER SUB-TOPICS ON THIS BOARD ACTUALLY HELP PEOPLE OUT

FUCK YOU ALL
>>
>>13933558
look nigger

if you cant figure out for yourslef how to start learning about cars you shoudnt bother
>>
>>13933558

It's pretty easy actually.

Get a car. Find something that you want to do to it. Turbo it, fit bigger tires, bigger brakes, hook up a nitrous kit, whatever, doesn't really matter what. Just find something you want to do that you don't know how to do.

Google the shit out of that one thing. Eventually you'll gain a general overview kind of understanding of what it is you're trying to accomplish, which will allow you to use more specific terms to actually learn how to do it.

It helps if you're poor when you do this and can't actually afford to do anything. That way, once you've figure out how to do the thing, you'll decide you can't afford it, and learn how to do some other thing that you think will be cheaper (but actually won't be). This will continue until you know how to do lots of things but can't actually afford to do any of them.

Congratulations, you now know about cars.
>>
>>13933558
>asks generic question
>gets generic answer
>spazzes out like an autistic fuckwit
Maybe dollhouses are better for you. You would obviously cry if you got your hands dirty anyway.
>>
>>13933628

>still believes in patriarchic social gender roles.
>>
>>13933656
>implying I said fuckall about gender
Back to Tumblr edgy nigger
>>
If you have someone willing to help you, actually doing it is the best way, and it's far less intimidating once you actually get into it, it really is as simple as unbolting and re-bolting things, well, except diagnostics, but that just takes experience. If you have the means, pick up the crappiest civic without major problems you can and get it back to factory condition; you're looking for things like blown suspension and minor engine problems, like runs rough, not knocking, blown gasket, or doesn't start. I'd also recommend all transmission problems initially, but I'm sure there are people out there that started with transmission that would love to tell me "how simple it is," and they may be right, but that's not me. Take it to a shop for diagnoses and ask them how/why they know what the problem is, then look online for how to do the job, if you do that, your main restricting factor will be tools and part money. Once you get the basics down, it gets a lot easier.
As far as theory goes, Youtube and Wiki hold more knowledge than any single living person, find what interests you, and spend hours learning about its variations and sub-systems, them move on to a different part of the vehicle. I started with engines, and am now focusing on suspension and aerodynamics. Play Automation and watch all their hints to learn basic engine theory.

>>13933506
and may I ask why you believe back-pressure is good?
>>
>>13933702
Youtube said so, duh.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.