[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/o/, what the hell is an engine knock? https://washingtond
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: lambo.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
lambo.png
1 MB, 750x1334
/o/,

what the hell is an engine knock?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/5295735626.html
>>
That is when a rod (connects piston to crankshaft) has been bent or something equally fucked has happened and it's "knocking" on the cylinder. The engine will run for a bit but it's fucked.
>>
>>13929485
>
anything from the lifters. timing chain or rods giving out or bearings giving out

its not a vr4 so its a waste anyways
>>
>>13929490
>>13929497
thanks m8's
>>
>>13929490
That's one kind of knocking (rod knock)
When most people talk about knocking they are referring to detonation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
>>
>>13929519
oh shit true
can also be a bad sensor but i always expect the worse first lol
>>
also you cant really pin it down without hearing it in person
>>
>>13929485
I can practically guarantee you that the 'knocking' is really ticking VLAs because it's probably been abused as fuck and had the oil changed every 20,000 miles, if that. You clean them out and they are fine.
>>
>>13929485
The others have answered what engine knock is.

My advice is unless its a project car, you have alot of time and dedication, and you want to rebuild an engine (potentially drop up to ~3k for a 'worst case scenario') dont buy it.

Engine knock means the engine is close to death, could be a cheap fix if it started knocking yesterday, or a whole new engine if it started knocking 2 months ago.

The standout bit you should be aware of is "bought as project - now selling as is" basically he realised the car was dying, and would be too hard (or too expensive) for him to fix.
>>
>>13929485
Why would you ever consider a non-vr4?
>>
>>13929582
enlighten me, what the hell is a vr4?
>>
>>13929643
the twin turbo version that everyone and their mother used in the first gran turismo to win
>>
File: 3061411744_ca1b4422b8_b.jpg (452 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
3061411744_ca1b4422b8_b.jpg
452 KB, 1024x768
It's a simple, cheap fix that the seller just hasn't had the time to get to. His loss is your gain, OP.
>>
>>13929519
nah usually people that know what detonation is say pinging. knock is a bearing 9/10 times.
>>
>>13929760
If that were true we would be saying "ping sensor" instead of "knock sensor"
>>
>>13929775
but it is true regardless of the name of a knock sensor

plus stock cars dont just detonate. very unlikely that someone would list a car that detonates much less know what it is.
>>
anyway, what he means is it has a bearing going out.

and that car is a piece of shit. not even worth $1000.
>>
>>13929566
Shit, you can get engine knock just from using too low an octane gasoline in a high compression engine. Certainly doesn't necessarily mean death.
>>
>>13929485
>washingtondc
we're practically neighbors
>>
OP when looking for a project car if the person selling the car has had the car for a very short time don't buy it. The person is trying to cut their loss, they're not lazy they don't want to spend another $30 to put gas in it.

Second never buy a car that has a engine knock or electrical problems. You'll regret it, if you think you'll buy this car and only have to fix what he has listed you're probably wrong. If you cant fix the knock yourself you'll spend more than this car is worth and the engine probably wont see 200k. (someone who worked on an 84 vette and is currently working on a 71 vette.)
>>
>>13929485
>-Needs a high speed wheel alignment (Not too difficult, i'm just lazy)
>-Needs a new exhaust clip( also cheap and simple to do but I just can't move my lazy ass to do it)

RUN
>>
>>13929743
>Engine knock
>Cheap

Maybe cheap if you have engines already sitting around to swap in
>>
>>13931999
Seller knows what he's got tho. OP can't lowball him.
>>
>>13930068
>Second never buy a car that has a engine knock
Weeeelllll, I'd modify that a bit. Just assume that head gaskets and knocks mean that the car really needs an engine and if there's enough room in the price to come out on top if you can do the work then it might be a candidate.

What I absolutely will not accept is body damage. That's fairly difficult to get done right for a reasonable price and if you want top dollar it has to be right. Unfortunately most cars have fucked engines AND fucked bodies AND fucked interiors for an above clean retail price so there's no point in even calling.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.