[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup, /o/ I'm an Author who basically needs a fictional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14
sup, /o/

I'm an Author who basically needs a fictional F150 converted to Electric.

I own a Nissan Leaf in real life, which is pretty small, and gets 60-70 miles tops per charge, tho I still don't know much about EV's, and the fact that EV general sized trucks flat out dont exist.

>tl;dr IF you could convert an F150 to electric, how much battery could I fit (without taking up the entire flatbed), and how many kWh and miles per charge would that get?
>>
File: shitstorm a-brewin'.png (310 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
shitstorm a-brewin'.png
310 KB, 550x550
>>13924641
>>
>>13924651
im not trolling or anything. just wanna quick guesstimation
>>
>>13924661
For one /o/ hates electrics

and Two we have few actual engineer fags who would willingly crunch the numbers and guesstimate, as it would also depend on which year F150.
>>
>>13924683
80s, and I'm just gonna use 100 kWh, and guess 300 mpc, based off Tesla's numbers.

Why do they hate Electrics? the leaf doesnt go far, but I dont drive far anyways. plus it goes pretty quick, or at least, idgaf about gas so I drive fast all the time.
>>
Do you want the bed or don't you? How much of the original truck has to be preserved?

There are a couple ways we could do this.

1, we drop an electric motor and transmission of some kind where the gas engine roughly used to be. That leaves the drivetrain intact, but takes up the engine bay, space that could be used to store batteries. It also needs a driveshaft, so we can't go Tesla-style and put batteries underneath. So we'd have to use the backseat area, some of the area around the motor, and maybe part of the bed for batteries. These could be taken out for shorter drives where you need the space.

Other route, we have some kind of motor-on-axle setup, like this. This would give us the engine bay and underbelly for battery storage, but let's say for the sake of having some cons, the bed needs to be raised a touch.

Either of these sound good?
>>
File: Char_comes_to_laugh_at_you.jpg (45 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
Char_comes_to_laugh_at_you.jpg
45 KB, 375x375
>>13924704
>The leaf is quick
>>13924716
I also forgot, do
>>
>>13924718
goddamnit

Anyways, what's the setting? Is this a jerry-rigged solar charged truck that could tow a battery trailer or whatever, or just a guy who couldn't let go of his good ol' truck in the future?
>>
>>13924641
Ever heard of torque?
>>
>>13924716
1980s Ford F100, exterior seems untouched, idgaf about the interior.
need the bed. Truck's being used as a mobile home of sorts for thee people, with gun lockers along the bedside walls.

Also, unlimited resources. so replacement of the entire frame/etc is fine.

>>13924718
I live in vegas, and drive 55 on average. I dont go more than 10 over the speed limit, but its quick to accelerate without peeling out

>>13924740
Desert, they're not driving 24/7 and keep below 50 in case of mines. they have time to stop and charge here and there.
>>
>>13924758
oops, that last one was for
>>13924729
>>
>>13924758
Motor on axle seems like a good way to go then, could probably leave the bed pretty much untouched. Truck could also have a body lift if everything's drive-by-wire and fit additional batteries between the frame and the body, although turning would be more of an issue.
>>
>>13924779
hmmm, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

also, since you know whats up, How about an 05 Ford GT turned electric? it'd need a lift at least, right?
>>
>>13924788
Since that's MR that could be interesting. An electric motor could probably be put into the existing transaxle and just have the final drive ratio set to crazy high to take advantage of the electric's insane torque. Batteries underneath and in the frunk and maybe the passenger seat if it's a one-person deal. If this is the desert still, I'd recommend a lift and different wheels/tires, sure. Also be aware that lithium polymer batteries (the best kind) are dangerous and catch fire when punctured, so make sure things have skidplates.
>>
>>13924824
Oh no, the GT is for Vegas.

I'm writing all this shit down just to be sure.
>>
File: ford_gt_engine_bay.jpg (101 KB, 1096x611) Image search: [Google]
ford_gt_engine_bay.jpg
101 KB, 1096x611
>>13924824
Oh yeah, and you're gonna wanna check this out. It's based on a kit car and doesn't have very many batteries, but this is an example of a transaxle of sorts. You have a lot more room in the GT, there's a fairly large motor with a supercharger on top in there normally.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new/factory-five-customer-erik-h-go-carts-electric-818s/
>>
>>13924836
Thanks!
>>
>>13924716
Motor on axle is overcomplicating things because the entire rear subframe would have to be fabricated from scratch and you'd have to some up with some kind of software solution for the differential. You also lose the final drive gear reduction, and likely would have trouble getting the truck moving with any kind of off the shelf motor available.

A far more elegant solution is to mount the motors in the transmission tunnel. Netgain makes 11.5" diameter motors that can fit where the gearbox used to be and the motors have double ended shafts, so you can have two motors on the same shaft and they occupy roughly the same space as the original gearbox. With the original final drive in the truck, two of these motors will have enough torque to move the truck as well as if not better than original engine, and still be able to travel at highway speeds.

Mounting the motors in the transmission tunnel also frees up the entire engine bay for the battery. With a F150 you should easily be able to fit enough Li-ion cells for roughly 200km range on DC motors. Maybe 300km if the setup is well thought put and you're not cruising at highway speeds.
>>
>>13924788
Lift for what? What exactly is raising the ride height going to do? Electric motors capable of matching the original performance can fit in the same space as the original transaxle. That frees up plenty of space originally used by the engine, fuel tank, frunk, and exhaust for battery storage.
>>
>>13924887
for the batteries, was what I meant at the time
>>
>>13924641
>and the fact that EV general sized trucks flat out dont exist

They do, granted its shitty though.

>40 mile range unloaded.

The only thing that range is useful for is for driving to the job site. Once you hook up a trailer, that range drops, especially up inclines.

>4,100# towing capacity.
>1,500# payload capacity.

That's pathetic. You can tow the same with a 16 year old Ford Ranger with the medium sized engine (3.0L V6).
>>
>>13925044
what kinda batteries/kWh does it use/get?
Also, the setting I'm writing with doesnt have gas stations at all so I gotta make due.
>>
>>13925063
http://www.viamotors.com/vehicles/electric-truck/
>>
>>13925073
>>13925044
>23kWh

>the Leaf has 30, with upgrades going up to 60
>Teslas have 70+ depending on what you choose
>4WD Teslas go 80+

I'm genuinely curious what's preventing them from using up more of that space underneath...
>>
File: 1003-0048.jpg (105 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1003-0048.jpg
105 KB, 1000x667
>>13925102
Trucks generally have the spare tire underneath the bed.

I'm not certain if the VTRUX has a spare tire.

Trucks also have a large fuel tank (26 - 36 gallons).

Trucks also have a rather large muffler.

So the batteries are competing for space with the fuel tank/muffler.

Since you are doing a F-150, you can design it on the extended cab long bed. (Longest half ton truck).
>>
>>13925149
>Fuel Tank
but cant you get rid of that for the electric???
>>
>>13925158

The truck in question is a hybrid. You could get rid of all that with a full EV, but there isn't a production model that has been done so we can get a proper answer on how much range you could get
>>
File: Screenshot (376).png (297 KB, 1281x448) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (376).png
297 KB, 1281x448
>>13925166
yeah thats what sucks.. I'm just going with 100kWh and 300 Miles for the time being. They'll recharge here and there. Maybe I'll add some kinda collapsible treadmill generator so the characters can get a workout at night while charging the car or something

https://youtu.be/VxFFL_FkcuY

also GJ captcha
>>
>>13925158
Electric technology isn't at the point where it is feasible for a sole electric truck.

A 5.3L V8 Silverado may be rated at "22 MPG Highway", but it will never above 20 MPG.

Add a trailer and you're looking at low 10s.

Tow up an incline and you're looking at abysmal gas mileage.

You have to supply enough batteries to tow, but then all the weight from the batteries eats up the hauling capacity.

Once batteries get lighter and smaller in the future, it may be feasible.
>>
>>13925249
I wonder why that is then... Is it the weight of the frame? The weight of the engine? Both?
>>
>>13925149
>So the batteries are competing for space with the fuel tank/muffler

what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>author that thinks cars in dystopia/post apocalyptic societies will use electric
>doesn't know about woodgas or many other more sensible alternatives
>>
>>13925257
aerodynamics, mass, drag, etc.

Electricity isn't viable yet for use in work-trucks. The technology just isn't there yet.

A fun note is that electric forklifts are super common and have been popular for what? 20-30 years now? Lots of companies prefer them because no fuel costs and no emissions in warehouses.
>>
>>13925267
Look where the batteries are located
>>13925102
Located underneath the rear part of the cab and before the rear differential.

That is where the fuel tank/muffler is located.

The fuel tank/muffler take up cubic feet where there could be batteries instead.
>>
File: via-motors-wallpaper-2013.jpg (378 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
via-motors-wallpaper-2013.jpg
378 KB, 1280x854
>>13924641
>the fact that EV general sized trucks flat out dont exist.
Lies.

Look up VIA motors., They have electric plug in hybrids of GM trucks like the Silverado.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmblLgfsf58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5STy6HRZEQ

I honestly think this would be a better option for your story.
>>
>>13925285
>dystopia/post apocalyptic societies
Nah bro. [spoiler]Mars exploration leads to land mass transportation to bring metals to Earth, replacing the excess water from global warming, which is then transported to mars.[/spoiler]

>>13925315
we know already
thanks to [spoiler][/spoiler]>>13925044
>>
>>13925322
>no spoilers

well shit
>>
>>13925322
Only read the OP post.
:P
>>
>>13925322
Why convert stuff to electric? It'll only cause more global warming. Also any society using electric cars is at least in the dystopian state.
>>
>>13925411
its on the mars continent. theres no fossil fuels or gasoline at all.
>>
>>13925311
Any more pics like this. Maybe of different vehicles? I like the different perspective for some reason.
>>
>>13925422
>dead planet that once had life has no fossil fuels
>>
>>13925460
>once had life
citation needed
>>
File: mars-15082106.jpg (110 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mars-15082106.jpg
110 KB, 640x427
>>13925422
is it set on mars or earth?
>mars is terraformed and has a road network >protagonist drives an F150
>>
>>13925721
2042 Earth, a chunk of mars is transported to earth, dropped about 2000 miles west of chile. Mars is in the process of being terraformed, using earth's water to revive plant life and create an oxygenated atmosphere
>>
>>13925411
Is this the clarkson fallacy in action?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.