[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /o/ My boss wants to sell me his 560SEL which he bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
Hello /o/
My boss wants to sell me his 560SEL which he bought brand new back in 80s, he kept it and maintained it every year, he drove it summer but only recently about two years he's been driving it daily. When it snowed hard and I had to take the busride home he would offer me lifts and the ride was always smooth and comfortable. The interior is immaculate in beige leather, no scratches or anything.
Car has about 190k KM and he is offering to sell it to me for 2000$ I bet he is willing to let it go for 1500$.
now I just recently started looking up on these cars and apparently they were the last great Mercedes followed by the "SEC"
Would it be a good daily-driver? It has no rust, just a couple small dings here and there.. the driver door was smashed into a long time ago obviously it is fixed and Boss told me that the door was perfectly fine aside from the big ding it had.
Are these cars reliable? Do they tend to break down? I mean, expensive German engineering and it must cost a lot to fix but after thirty or so years parts should be abundant by now.
for 1500 one owner always maintained and 190k KM is it worth it?
>>
DO IT
>>
>inb4 mightybenz
>>
File: 1313114001431.jpg (4 KB, 252x184) Image search: [Google]
1313114001431.jpg
4 KB, 252x184
>>13924443
ELABORATE
I've noticed a cult following of these cars on /o/ from time to time
>>
>>13924433
>after thirty or so years parts should be abundant by now
Not sure about the car, but this statement is not true. It's a somewhat rare 30-year-old car. Most parts aren't going to be readily available. They will be expensive to get.
>>
Anything 20-25 years old will have issues just have some money aside to correct them because they will pop up , it's possibly to daily an old Benz like that but I wouldn't Reccomend it as a primary car for commuting and shit. Things will break and it will piss you off
TLdr , buy it but as a weekend car
>>
>>13924474
>>13924467
thanks for the advice. He commutes with it everyday, always gets serviced and never had any issues as of now.
I also heard apparently the block is forged with parts made of steel (?) that sounds pretty durable
it also has an LSD and autotragic cooler
>>
My thoughts were, If I am to buy a 1500$ lemon that's been abused and fucked with by many other owners and die on me sooner or later.. I would rather own a comfortable ride that is worth fixing and maintaining especially if it's a one-owner car with an immaculate interior.
Every electronics still work perfectly!
>>
>>13924490
>w126
>lsd
I think that's a pretty rare option by itself, most w126s didn't get them. I'd say go for it
>>
>>13924575
it's a 2.47 LSD
>>
>>13924433
Do it. With the old W mercs like that, they'll almost never leave you on the side of the road, but you may see some of the goodies on the inside start going out. People say they're pricey to fix because they either don't DIY or they compare it to working on a foxbody. It's not expensive by any means to keep all of the amenities working, but it isn't the absolute cheapest. Lots of DIY resources online, and they can help find the cheapest parts, just get involved with a dedicated forum.
For that price and that kind of shape, it is a steal.
>>
>>13924433
The big benzes are usually pretty mechanically reliable.

The interior will fall apart and all the accessories will break. It will get 2 MPG. But it will be comfy and won't strand you.
>>
File: 1373257123505.jpg (55 KB, 515x375) Image search: [Google]
1373257123505.jpg
55 KB, 515x375
>>13924628
thank you! I have been reading online and so far I haven't figured any major flaw in the car aside from the EM-PEE-GEEs
I reckon they handle good in snow too for having rode in it, the seats are wobbly as the car steers, it's a damn boat but hell is it comfortable. I am honestly thinking of buying it.
and if all turns out well I will post a thread about it.
>>
File: bmwe32750il-l-dfd32215c0a2bd4f.jpg (812 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bmwe32750il-l-dfd32215c0a2bd4f.jpg
812 KB, 2048x1536
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

The 560 is the top of the range dictator/mafia car of the 80s. Watch any movie from the 80s and you'll see they are hugely iconic. I wouldn't say that they are future collector cars, but there certainly would be a market for them in the future.

The best thing is, you can swap parts from the 500/380/300 if things break, because it's the same body and interior.

Do the usual VIN check and go over the car with a fine tooth comb before you buy it, but it sounds like an honest steal if he has all the documentation.

The thing about Mercedes Benz from the 70s and 80s is that they were unparalleled when it came to quality in this era, and to have a Mercedes Benz in that time was a real status symbol. Even more so than owning a new one today.
>>
>>13924662
That's great to know parts are interchangeable!
I always loved old 80s BMW/MB the boxy boat-style gave me hard-ons and Boss would always joke about selling it to me since he likes me a lot as a worker and I do a good job.. I'm going to meet up with him Thursday and discuss about it. Maybe he won't sell it, I really hope he would.
he babied it a lot.
He is an Italian, first time I've seen him I thought he was shady, especially with his old 80s Mercedes.
>>
>>13924433
The old school mercs are bulletproof (some literally) and if you tint the windows people will be adverse to fucking with you just in case.

Do it faggot.
>>
>>13924681

>He is an Italian, first time I've seen him I thought he was shady, especially with his old 80s Mercedes.

They do have a bit of reputation of a drug dealers car because of the 2nd hand market of the 90s and 00s, but I think that reputation will subside with time and you'll end up with a classic.

For example the 6.3 300SEL is a genuine collectors car now. Not worth a SHITLOAD, but worth more than many new cars. The 6.9 450SEL isn't at that point yet, but it is moving that way.

The 560 is at the bottom of it's value cycle after 25-30 years. The coupe is more desirable, but the sedan had more exposure in films back in the day. Even now, people will see it and think of some yuppie businessman snorting cocaine in Manhattan in 1986.
>>
>>13924745
what is Canada's prime minister Justin Trudeau's Mercedes?
>>
>>13924791

300SL. One of the most sort after post WW2 mercedes made, if not the most. Look at the prices for those things.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz/300sl

>'middle class'
>implying
>>
>>13924433
80s Mercedes are unbreakable. Parts might be a little expensive but they're unlikely to even break, so you'd never need to worry about it. Just maintain it and enjoy it OP.

https://dave-roland.bandcamp.com/album/80s-mercedes
>>
be a fucking g and buy that shit
>>
>>13924433
that car is comfy as fuck and rides like a boat. it's already becoming a classical and selling for good value.

if it's in good condition and there's no rust, go for it. mercedes still produces engines for their old cars.
>>
OP, you aren't going to buy it, I will. Don't even care how far either, ill cram myself into a spirit airlines cracker box one way and drive it back to Texas.
>>
>>13925938

>today the country of France surrendered a large part of its territories today after being invaded by an elite unit from the US military who had mistakenly gotten on the wrong flight heading for France, hidden in the overheard compartment armed with a large revolver.The soldier himself has not been able to be reached for commentary, but there are rumors circulating that his demands for cheeseburgers have been met and his hunger appeased
>>
>>13924433
FUCKING DO IT.
My girlfriend dd'd a 75 450sel for years before the heads started fucking up. Can't afford to fix it now.
Gas is a bitch in that thing. 6.9l v8. $100 for a fill twice a week.
>>
>>13925951
All of my wat.

Also, top kek.
>>
>>13924433
I would suck your dick for that shit

Comb through those service records to see if there's any problems. As long as you can make sure for sure that the engine and tranny have no problems everything else that can go wrong will be a cheap DIY fix.

>Would it be a good daily-driver?

It'd be comfy as fuck, but the mileage is gonna blow.
>>
Those mercs are so immensely iconic it's almost a shame they made so many of them, thus rendering them far too common to be a true sought after classic, so the value kinda tanks. The upside of mass producing the thing is that there are parts all over the place.

For that price it's a total bargain, especially for a well kept example. Look after it and it will run forever. I wouldn't advise using it as a DD though, the mpg is gonna rape you like a machine gun.
>>
>>13926642
thank you for the advice I only do highways and only 5minutes of city driving, I have read some get close to 20-23mpg on highways which sounds better then my old 2.3 '97 ranger I had
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.