[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miata DD in the Winter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: 1447269826490.jpg (247 KB, 1741x979) Image search: [Google]
1447269826490.jpg
247 KB, 1741x979
Hey /o

Anyone here DD a miata during the winter? I'm thinking about getting one and it will have to be parked outside since I dont have a garage. I live in PA too.
>>
>>13924326
just make sure you have snow tires and the torsen differential. they're great on hard packed snow, but anything over 5 or 6 inches of powder is a no go.

the balanced chassis is great for low grip situations. it's easy to recover from both oversteer and understeer. With a hardtop they're even more comfy in the winter. the heater is also good.
>>
Yes, winter tires and you are set
>>
What should i do to my car to protect it from salt? I live in central nj
>>
>>13924326
I do it on summer tires no problem
>>
>>13924363
Clean and wax it. Look up fluid film.
>>
>>13924363
find one of those outdoor diy car washes and spray under your car once or twice a week with soap and water.
>>
>>13924326
There's one br/o/ in megasnowland that dds a miata and I don't think he's dead yet. So it's doable
>>
>>13924402
Sweet!
>>
>>13924422
d/o/uble dubs checked
BREAK BREAK BREAK
thread hijack

i tried sandbags, and used to have a capper, but where i live a 2 seat 2.7L 4 cylinder RWD tac/o/ma has been h/o/peless in the winter. help me /o/bi wan ken/o/bi y/o/u're my /o/nly h/o/pe
>>
>>13924349
Pretty much this.
I DD an FRS in the winter, and it's parked outside as well (I know I know, not the same car)

But wash the underside atleast once a week, snow drifting is fun, but don't do it in powder, and when cleaning off your car, be careful, the ice that's frozen to the surface can be a bitch to get off, but if you try to knock it off you can fuck up the paint

As for driving, Good winter tires, and I put 200 pounds of sand bags in the trunk as ballast, also if you get stuck on ice, you can always break one open for grip. Keep a shovel in the car too.. You are probably gonna get stuck at some point
>>
>>13924349
I'd love to find a hard top for it!
>>
>>13924444
Quads dude!

200 lbs of sand bags? How much should I put in the miata? I was thinking one bag.
>>
lol
FR fags with their fucking sandbags
>>
>>13924493
I don't do it. miata already has 50 50 weight distribution, why would I want to mess that up? grip is never the problem if you have good tires and an LSD.
>>
>>13924505
more weight over the drive wheels improves grip.
50-50 weight distribution is a false idol and is not ideal
>>
>>13924493
FF fags with their DDs
>>
>>13924460
Probably less, since it's a smaller car. I also live much further north than you, so I'm dealing less with ice and light snow than 4-10 inches of snow, so I kinda go overboard. I've never gotten the car stuck except once I beached it. I've never had issues, and you might not need the weight, a good set of winter tires is probably all you're going to need, but I'd still recommend atleast one bag, or some grip mats incase you do get stuck on some bad ice somewhere
>>
>>13924521
kek
Why would I make fun of FR cars if I drove something worse?
>>
>>13924326
Honestly, driving in the winter depends on the driver and how good one is

You can have awd subaru with the chunkiest set of winter tires and a bunch of added weight but if you drive like a retard you will crash

I've seen many farm trucks that olny have rwd and a bald set of all terrains do just fine in the snow and ice

My dad owned a 2.0t sonata with factory summer sports tires and he was passing semis going 50 on the interstate covered in a good 6 inches plus hard pack of snow and ice underneath the churned up fluff, turned off traction control and gunned it

My jeep cherokee olny has rwd, the most i did was put the auto in first because the was no enough gear reduction in D so i just spun the tires (wrangler r/t bald, cracking, and bubbling to all sin) after i got to speed i held it in second and enjoyed the rest of my drive

The key is to know what your car is doing in that situation, no traction for brakeing, ABS+add much more distance for brakeing, tires spinning, try to reduce gearing or drive on idle something to reduce tourqe at the contact surface, oversteering a rwd car under acceleration, remove foot from gas, understeering a fwd car, point weels in direction of travel and apply foot to pedal to metal

Driveing in snow is like driving a race car at much slower speeds, you never know where or when there may be grip

One last thing, ABS is given by god, so his car enthusiasts creations may live in the cold
>>
File: 20151107_142425.jpg (781 KB, 1741x979) Image search: [Google]
20151107_142425.jpg
781 KB, 1741x979
>>13924326
tfw thats my cor :)

have not yet to drive it in winter. only have all seasons a little worried.
>>
>>13924550
Its a cool picture!
>>
File: 20150627_224424 (1).jpg (185 KB, 1741x979) Image search: [Google]
20150627_224424 (1).jpg
185 KB, 1741x979
>>13924603
>>
File: 17488846133_30cd3278cc_k.jpg (568 KB, 2048x1362) Image search: [Google]
17488846133_30cd3278cc_k.jpg
568 KB, 2048x1362
buddy who drives this dd's through winters, we rode through a blizzard in it last winter
>>
>>13924621
hard top! Was it fun driving in a blizzard?
>>
File: IMG_20140608_200927.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140608_200927.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Drove mine one winter how it sat in this pic. Had no trouble at all on some cheap all seasons with an open diff. If there was more than an inch of snow on the ground, the rear end would slide around a bit when taking off, and would slide out when driving if you weren't driving carefully. It was super easy to control the slides though and they were always really predictable. I wouldn't mind driving one again in the winter.
>>
File: zZyIZYD.jpg (4 KB, 150x102) Image search: [Google]
zZyIZYD.jpg
4 KB, 150x102
Shit's fun as fuck senpai

Even just driving normally through snow is fun because it requires constant attention to keep it in line, or you can just rip mad skidz everywhere you go

Keep a folding snow shovel in the trunk in case you get stuck from a stop
>>
File: snowy shit.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
snowy shit.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>13924326

Fuck that shit homie.

I bought a Subaru for a reason. I'm sick of dealing with winters in my MX-5.
>>
It's fun to drive it once or twice but not for DD.
Waste of a car in my opinion.
NAs are slowly becoming rarer and rarer if take how many were made into consideration.

Buy some cheapo rustbucket for winter DD.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.