[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are engines designed to cut out after an accident? It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: laKWZ4a.jpg (89 KB, 500x561) Image search: [Google]
laKWZ4a.jpg
89 KB, 500x561
Are engines designed to cut out after an accident? It seems like whenever you see a car crash in fiction the engine turns itself off, even if there isn't any damage to the engine itself.
>>
Cars will usually have a fuel cut system that shuts off the fuel pump in an accident. It's usually so that if the fuel lines come loose in an accident and there's a fire, the gasoline isn't still pumped.
>>
>>13923364
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.
>>
>>13923412
Also, if the vehicle is manual transmission, odds are your foot will end up off the clutch and the revs will drop down to the point (even if the engine isn't damaged) where it just stalls and dies anyway.
>>
The only accident I've ever been in, I went airborne for a second and landed on a rock. Ended up cracking the engine block on a Saturn SL2. So, in that case, totally understandable that the engine would cut out.
>>
>>13924147
...how'd you do that?
>>
>>13924167
Short answer, ice.
>>
>>13924190
Gotcha.
>>
>>13923747
Can confirm even when I'm on the track, I spun out the one time and I didn't even think to add power my foot just let the clutch out
>>
>>13923364
This isn't as common as you think, and is far from universal. Ford is the only manufacturer I know of that has an impact-triggered fuel cutoff.

Automatic transmissions will usually throw themselves into neutral in a frontal collision. But other than that, most engines just keep going. I dunno if you remember that bodycam from the cop that shot the black dude in the car near the college? It was a honda of some sort, took off down the street with a dead driver until it plowed into something, even after it crashed you could hear the audio of the engine bouncing off the rev limiter from the dead guy's foot being wedged on the gas pedal.
>>
>>13924589
All chrysler cars do too
>>
why would you need to stop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7V-G3PiRUc
>>
File: 1428432652152.jpg (5 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1428432652152.jpg
5 KB, 180x200
>>13925558
damn
>>
what is stalling. both accidents ive been in i stalled when i came to a complete stop. all that adrenaline etc you dont think to keep clutch in and pop into neutral.
>>
>>13925558
the fuck is up with someone to do that over and over and over. dude is a crazy mother fucker

>and top gear thought their hilux was indestructible
>>
>>13923364
It also can be triggered by driving off a curb to fast.
>>
>>13925558
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
I don't know why but there is a manual fuel shut off button in most Ford crown vic/town car land barges in the trunk of them. Ford got a lot of crap from the whole Pinto thing and I think they have done a lot of research on car fires ever since. Also they had to deal with cop cars getting rear ended on highways which also caused fires.

Ford offers fire suppression systems that automatically go off for fleet cars, they are expensive though. Up to $5000 for the most complex option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn6WOFxyRdE
>>
I see the wipers come on in a lot of accidents. Is that just people's arms smacking the stalk?
>>
>>13925558
VOLVO STRONK
>>
>>13925658
V
O
L
V
O
>>
>>13924225
First few times I did the same, would spin, forget to clutch and stall out.
>>
File: 1405416590115.gif (2 MB, 265x191) Image search: [Google]
1405416590115.gif
2 MB, 265x191
>>13925558
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.