[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 24 and have decided to go to community college for automotive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: auto-tech-620x350.jpg (85 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
auto-tech-620x350.jpg
85 KB, 620x350
I'm 24 and have decided to go to community college for automotive technology

I know almost nothing about cars

How fucked am I?
>>
>>13920535
there is nothing to know
its all pressure and energy differential
>>
>>13920535
Not very fucked, don't pretend to know more than you do, ask lots of questions and if you have a brain stem you shouldn't be very lost.
At the end of the day it's just a car, sold to normal people. It ain't rocket science
>>
>>13920535
>community college
>I know almost nothing about cars

Well that's fine because community college isn't really advanced by anyone's standard anyway... it's really like a pre-school for actual subjects.
>>
>>13920535
It isn't really that difficult.

Download some entry-level ebooks off TPB like "auto repair for dummies" to get a basic understanding.

Tell your instructor you don't know shit, take lots of notes, and ask lots of questions. Try getting hands-on experience.
>>
>>13920557
Explain more please

>>13920558
I'm going in claiming to know nothing. I just hope the classes alone will be enough to get me started.

>>13920568
Who you trying to trigger?

>>13920569
I'll download a book or two, or maybe check out the school library for some stuff. As for hands-on experience, every major automotive course in my school has a lab along with it, where we get to work with real components and real tools.
>>
>>13920588
>Who you trying to trigger?

No one. I'm just saying that community college is entry level shit and they will essentially teach you everything right from the beginning as if you had walked in there with absolutely zero prior knowledge of cars.

Granted, it might be useful to know what a wheel is, but half the fucks in there aren't gonna know the difference between Toyota's VVTi vs Honda VTEC or some shit. You're all in community college and not a proper university for a reason.
>>
>>13920606

He's attending community college because being a mechanic doesn't require a four-year degree, you egg.
>>
>>13920606
>>13920627
>>13920627
people like him are the reason bachelors degrees are a diamond dozen, meanwhile tradesmen in blue collar fields like HVAC and plumbing have tons of job opportunities and high pay
>>
>>13920588
when I first started I thought that things were complex and particular

but I have come to realise that all aspects of the motor vehicle are based around exploitation of mechanical advantage
even things like the indicator switch depend upon this

but if you want to get mundane about it their are other forces
tensile strength
compressive strength
torsional strength
shear strength
abrasion resistance
polar moment of inertia
coefficient of linear thermal expansion
>>
>>13920535
You do know classrooms are for learning, right? Entry level automotive classes aren't given to ASE certified techs that have been on the job for 15 years.

Just do your work, study, and pay attention
>>
>>13920568

how many phds do you have
>>
>>13920535
I am 19 and I recently went to trade school for 10 weeks, I had 0 practical experience with cars, and I THOUGHT I knew a fair bit about them, but I was pretty lost. Realised that I didn't have the passion to be a mechanic for the next x amount of years of my life and decided to drop out.

Ask yourself, can you see yourself under a car for the rest of your life? You can? Are you having a good time? Yes? Well then you have nothing to fear.
>>
>>13920568
The classes at community college are exactly the same as the classes in the first 2 years of university.

Highschooler detected.
>>
>>13925264
Until you hit 40 and your back shits itself and no one will hire you
>>
>>13925291
Why would your back shit itself from working on cars.
>>
>>13925312
idk, the reddit/tumblr generation thinks doing physical work will ruin your body within 20 years. meanwhile people in their 70s have been doing hard physical work their entire lives and are still at it.

>meanwhile muh rsi from sitting behind a computer for 10 hours a day
>then suffer heart attack at 35 because fat shit is a lazy inactive fat shit
>>
>>13925356
>then suffer heart attack
caffeine is one hell of a drug
>>
>How fucked am I?
None, you're taking a trade that is in demand now and will be as long as motorized transportation exists. Confidence is the biggest hurdle to taking on work, practice makes perfect, there is no such thing as too many questions.
>>
File: 1439929800406.jpg (51 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1439929800406.jpg
51 KB, 460x460
>>13925356
>tfw every old mechanic I know changed to light-duty wrenching (like on motorcycles or small engines), changed jobs (IT seems popular) or went on SSI.

you've never worked on a vehicle until you're sore a day in your life, fucking casual; try doing it for years.
>>
Get ready to spend a fuckton on tools.
>>
In an autobody class right now. Ended up having to teach a guy how to use a Ratchet and today had to again explain that a 3/8" drive socket doesn't fit a 1/2" drive torque wrench..

you'll do just fine.
>>
>>13920535
better off just getting a beater car, learning how to do basic shit, and then if you still like it get an entry lvl job at a shop.
>>
>>13925291
it was an apprenciteship, I had a job lined up at a mercedes dealership, but I didn't wanna go through with it
>>
The only shit I'm kinda having trouble with is electrical but everything else is pretty self explanatory
>>
there are people in my A&P program that shoudn't be anywhere near aircraft. They'll be working on heavies soon, just think about that next time you get on a plane.
>>
>>13928213

electricity is easy, its just like hydraulics.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.