[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manuel vs auto in snow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 2014_impreza_1.jpg (132 KB, 880x440) Image search: [Google]
2014_impreza_1.jpg
132 KB, 880x440
I'm looking at getting a newer impreza for daily driving in the winter. I'm split over manual vs automatic though. I drove a manual ranger for many years and it felt like I had more control than in an automatic. Then again, there is a lot of new technology and driver aids that might make an automatic better. Keep in mind I'm not a car enthusiast, but I don't mind at all the extra effort for driving stick.
So what do I do /o/?
I'll get some nice winter tires too.
>>
>>13909492
niggers won't steal your manual car.
>>
>>13909492
I've heard a lot of people say that those cars are underpowered and you really need the manual to be able to wring enough power out of it.
>>
>>13909492
>getting a newer impreza for daily driving in the winter

I wish I had enough money to buy a car for every season.
>>
>>13909492
mexicans dont handle snow very well.
>>
>>13909588
Came here to post this
>>
>Subaru awd
>winter tires

With those two combined it really doesn't matter. Also modern manuals have all those nanny assists too, anyway
>>
>>13909492
Those new Impreza's have unreliable CVTs for automatics.
and yes a manual is better in the snow.
constantly losing traction like you do in those conditions constantly confuses the automatic causing it not to know which gear ratio to be in, which over time hurts the transmission, or hurts it immediately if the car suddenly catches traction.

Transmission shops actually make most of their money repairing automatics that break during the winter. Manuals don't have that problem.
>>
>>13909583
It's not just for winter. I worded that poorly.
>>13909588
Kek
>>13909606
That makes a lot of sense. So maybe manual would be better reliability wise even of they're the same performing in the snow.
>>
I live in Alaska
I Dd a 6 speed genesis (rwd) with no problem
My wife dds a 5 speed xterra with no problem and this is the first manual vehicle she's ever owned
I know at least 2 other people that Dd manuals, one is a wrx and the other a fj and both make it to work every morning so I assume they have no issues
tldr git gud and get gudder tires
>>
>>13909492
If you liked the rwnger I'd get a manual impreza, subarus automatic programming is awful. Never knows what gear it should be in.
>>
>>13909516
This is true. The engines OK for a four banger but the awd really saps a lot of power. The autos are insanely fast from 0-10 mph but manual is better for passing and general driving.
>>
>>13909492
With a Subaru, it doesn't really matter. The manual will give you more control and the auto will let you be lazy. A base Impreza isn't going to be fast.
The only redeeming thing about driving an auto is being able to hold the brake and gas at a stoplight and get a little bit of a launch when you let off the brake.
I'd still go for the manual though.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.