[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone with an ecoboost experimented with the fuel octane?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: ecoboost-3-5l-v6.jpg (72 KB, 425x280) Image search: [Google]
ecoboost-3-5l-v6.jpg
72 KB, 425x280
Has anyone with an ecoboost experimented with the fuel octane? I know if you put in premium fuel the engine will produce more power, but what about gas mileage?

Some people say they get better gas mileage with premium fuel. However, since ethanol is an octane booster (pure ethanol is around 100 octane) I would say 93 octane has more ethanol in it and therefore might reduce gas mileage compared to 87 octane. I'm in central PA where the majority of gas stations carry 87, 89, and 93.
>>
>>13909032
Octane ratings have no affect on mileage.
>>
>>13909032
Modern engines can be more efficient when using higher octane because it's a more refined burn/requires less fuel for the appropriate detonation.
>>
>>13909038

I know octane rating is resistance to detonation, but on engines like the ecoboost that can adjust the timing based on the octane of the fuel you fill up with, it can affect the way the engine runs, which could affect gas mileage no?

I would never put premium in a car that calls for regular, it will give no advantage. It could possibly run worse. But the ecoboost is different because the computer can adjust the tune from what I understand
>>
>>13909048
All modern engines do this.
>>
It's possible if it makes more torque with 93, but will the extra 1-2mpg be worth the cost. Probably not.
>>
>>13909058
but how much
will it add even more timing with good gas?
>>
>>13909066

Well it might be worth it, it's an extra 40c/gal to go from 87 to 93. I'd have to do the calculations based on any extra fuel mileage gained (if any). But I was wondering if anyone else already experimented with this because fuel mileage can vary enough from tank to tank on the same fuel, that quantifying any change in MPG when changing octanes can be far from scientific.

I'm sure the difference will not be enough to worry about, I'm just more curious than anything.
>>
>>13909045
No.

Use the fuel specified, don't deviate.
>>
>>13909218
Obviously there's a limit, and more cars now a days are tuned for 93 octane out of the box. Putting 110 into a daily driver just for the main idea of better gas mileage is a waste of time and, above all, money.

Really, op, the best way to get the most out mpg out of your car is to take some of the lead out of your right foot and avoid 83.
>>
>>13909218
>Use the fuel specified, don't deviate.

Except Ford gives HP ratings for their ecoboost engines based on the type of fuel used. So I presume the manual will say you can use whatever you want.
>>
>>13909602
The cost per mile comes out to negligible when you factor in the price of regular vs premium.
>>
>>13909602
I'm sure the engines are retaed for 93 and capable of using 87 like most engines since a long time.
>>
>>13909032
>However, since ethanol is an octane booster (pure ethanol is around 100 octane) I would say 93 octane has more ethanol
How do people who can come to "logical" conclusions like this survive childhood? There are other chemicals with high octane rating than ethanol. Octane rating says absolutely nothing about a fuel's chemical makeup
>>
>>13909648

Lead was phased out a long time ago and MMT was recently phased out in the US. Ethanol is mandated to be in gasoline. That means ethanol is the preferred octane booster in the US and higher octane fuel will have more ethanol. Maybe you should do some more research before you speak so arrogantly to other people
>>
>>13909032
You can buy gas without ethanol in it.

http://pure-gas.org/
>>
>we'll put fuel that requires specialized systems in gas that everyone uses for everything

ethanol was a mistake
>>
>>13909058
Basically any engine with OBD 2 can do this, I'm sure there's exceptions but that's a good rule of thumb.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.