[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If American is so great and makes such great cars why do they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 68sdfsdfsd.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
68sdfsdfsd.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
If American is so great and makes such great cars why do they give their cars exotic sounding names (european city names for example) so very often?

>DeVille
>Seville
>Monza
>Allante
>Fiero
>La Femme
>Versailles
>Cimarron

You don't see us germans name our cars the "Mercedes-Benz New York" or the "VW Corndog" or shit like that.
>>
we are to busy with faking emission tests.
>>
Ferrari California
>>
Let me ask you a question:

Why do you Germans give your luxury cars very dull and uninteresting names like "S600" or "535i"?
>>
>>13908159

Because we can. We could name it the Mercedes-Benz Hitler-Klasse Panzerwagen Holocaust Supreme Edition and people still would buy it.

We can because we make the best and most wanted cars in the world and we don't care about stupid names.
>>
>>13908140
European manufacturers use themes.

VW's are named after sports or trade winds with a few exceptions.
Fox (hunting)
Golf
Polo
Caddy
Passat
Scirocco

Renault uses girls names for its hatches... But not the Twingo or Twizy
Zoe
Clio (Cleopatra)
Megan

Lotus
"E"

Audi
Boring Letter number combo
BMW
Boring number letter combo
Saab
Boring number letter combo
Volvo
Boring letter number combo
>>
>>13908159
Do you want Sonderklasse written on the back of every S-Class?
>>
Seat uses Spanish place names:
Leon
Ibiza
Altea
Alhambra
Toledo
Etc.
>>
>>13908187

Seat is spanish (sort of, not really but they used to be at least)
>>
>>13908158
And Daytona.
>>
>>13908140
>You don't see us germans name our cars the "Mercedes-Benz New York" or the "VW Corndog" or shit like that.
Yes we do
Meet the Volkswagen California.
Sold everywhere except California... or America for that matter
>>
>>13908264
R E K T
E
K
T
>>
>>13908264
thats just a modified transporter
>>
>>13908140
Ferrari:
- seven models that have the word "America" in it
- three models named after California
- eight race cars referencing a place in France

Porsche:
- a model named after a place in South America
- a model named after some islands in the Carribbean
- five models use a Spanish word for the past 60 years straight
- two models reference some place in France

Lamborghini
- eleven models derived from a Spanish word or name (almost every model they've ever made)

>>13908240
>And Daytona.

"Daytona" was just a unofficial nickname that stuck. It's made to collectively refer to the 365 GTB/4 and 365 GTS/4 which were more than a mouthful to say themselves.
>>
European car maker names car after US state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_Florida
>>
>>13908468
Maserati Mexico. Maserati Indy.
>>
Tesla is an innovator here.
Their names are exciting and memorable.
>>
>>13908166
>he thinks the mégane has anything to do with the name megan
>he doesn't know renault created a lot of names by using a shakers programm and changing a few vocals
>he thinks Clio has anything to do with Cleopatra and not Clio/Kleio
>>
>>13908166
>boring letter combo
Yet the most practical and informative
>>
>>13908719
Yeah it's important that your BMW car ends in numbers. Imagine you rocking up in your newly-leased 335 and your insignificant peasant neighbor parks in his 330. Man he'll be real jealous that you made it more than they did, proven by the bigger number on your car. But when their lease ends they'll get a 340 and really fuck you over, but you can counter with an 440 and they'll be so fucking jealous because your car starts with a number even higher! Maybe next time he renews his lease, he'll simply tick the model-designation-deletion option and then try to trick you into thinking it's the highest-spec model. But you as a true bimmer fanatic can spot the subtle differences. His is actually only a pathetic 420d as shown by the exhaust tips. Your neighbor will feel so great that he tricked you, even though you laugh yourself to sleep every night knowing you one-upped him so much haha.
>>
>>13908719
When the numbers used to mean something like engine displacement they did. But now most of the numbers are completely arbitrary and mean jack shit.
>>
>>13908187
I'd love to see the brits do this with their place names
>>
>>13908747
But they don't do this since the e30. Why do assburgers have so much problems with it being the powerlevel and not the engine displacement?
>>
>>13908732
I love you.
>>
>>13908756
It would be fine if it was related to power level as in
320=200hp
328 = 280hp
535 = 350hp

etc. at the moment it's not that clear cut.
>>
>>13908762
>low number = low power
>high number = high power

How hard is that ?
>>
>>13908313
So what?
>>
>>13908140
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't exactly 0 of the cars still sold?
>>
>>13908762
>it's not that clear cut
Who cares? Whilst it's not directly related to displacement or power, it is indirectly related to power.

This applies to all derivatives of each model sharing the same XX sub-classification number. So the 135i/235i/335i/435i/535i/635i use the exact same engine.
>>
>>13908762
They're sort of related to the engine size in liters, cent they usually round up 1 or 20
>>
>>13908313
>hurr the Seat Ibizia is just a modified Polo so it doesn't count
>hurr the Audi R8 is just a modified Gallardo so it doesn't count
>>
>>13908625 #
>exciting and memorable

Model S
Model E
Model X
Model Y

Which is fine. They're trying to be clever. But whoever chose that serif typeface for their badges should be crucified.
>>
>>13908926
if i get a 3 will it be lame to get a s, x, and y sticker to put around the badge?
>>
>>13908140

Because Americans once had respect for you ungrateful euro-keks. Also try naming off some cars that didn't go out of production a decade ago.
>>
File: euro.jpg (105 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
euro.jpg
105 KB, 800x500
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.