[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TL;DR I need a SUV/truck that is hearty enough to handle daily
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: chevrolet.jpg (70 KB, 640x429) Image search: [Google]
chevrolet.jpg
70 KB, 640x429
TL;DR I need a SUV/truck that is hearty enough to handle daily light offroad usage and general wear and tear from throwing animals and everything else in it. Seriously want to buy it this week while I'm off work. Want at least OK gas mileage because I have a long commute. 25 mpg+ would be ideal. Want a good quality:price ratio, whether the vehicle falls at 20k or 50k. Needs to be something that can be readily worked on because I live in small town Mississippi and am very far from any specialty mechanics.

I currently drive a 2007 Civic I got for my 18th birthday because my mom got an inheritance and wanted to get me a car for college.

I've graduated and moved to Mississippi to work a conservation job. I have a work truck for navigating when I've got to go back in the sticks, but I'm finding in my every day life that the Civic just isn't sufficient around here. Bunch of dirt roads, areas with potholes(I've literally busted like three wheels in the last two or three years by hitting pot holes at night. I'm blind as a fucking bat.)

Anyway, I'm ready for a big boy vehicle. I need a truck or suv or something. Good offroad, preferably OK gas mileage. No 13 mpg monsters please. I'm clearly not a car guy, so, can someone talk to me about what to get? I'm not the type that will ever upgrade their vehicle every few years, so I really want something that will last. I'm willing to pay anything as long as it feels justifiable, but in the same way if there's some budget truck out there that will perform similarly to something that costs 15k more I'd like to know.

pic potentially related? most of my co-workers drive a chevy truck from the last ten years. not sure if that's just a Mississippi thing or if they should be on my radar for buying the best truck for my money.
>>
>>13903501
Get a Forester or Legacy Outback or something.
>>
>>13903512
So..subaru. Ok. On the list to check out/look for.

ps I forgot to mention in the OP I'm cool buying used and will be checking out newer models at the used car lots in the city(s) I visit. Even lists of BAD vehicles to buy will help me immensely so I don't make any mistakes.
>>
>>13903544
If you want best MPG and good power, Ram with the small diesel in it. Otherwise, look at a 4.3 Silverado 4x2 (the 4x4s have terrible gas mileage for a truck with a V6).
>>
>>13903544
It's pretty much the best thing for you. Maybe something like a new Cherokee (non-trailhawk) or Renegade. 2WD Grand Cherokee diesel? Few options for 25mpg.
>>
>>13903555
>>13903565
Posts like these are great. Thanks guys.

Specifically looking at the online stocklists for the two reputable used car lots I know I'll be going to there are mostly fords. Like, for post-2011 year models, the place I'm going to first has 3 chevys, 5 rams, and 10+ fords for trucks. Not kidding, there are more F-150s from the last 5 years than every other truck combined.

I assume this is a bad sign and I should stay away from Ford, but since that will clearly be the bulk of my used options I want to ask what you guys think about them..

Both lots also have a few 4x4 Jeep Wranglers. Not on the list of jeeps I should consider, right?
>>
>>13903644
Oh, and one last question while I'm at it. Are GMC and chevrolet essentially equal? Like, the engines are the same, right? There's a GMC with a 4.3 v6 like >>13903555
mentioned. Just making sure I should consider them the same.
>>
>>13903644
>Not on the list of jeeps I should consider, right?
If you want 25mpg, no. Plus they're awful unless you like to go off road, which isn't a dirt road. I would recommend against the pickup unless you haul.
>>
>>13903674
I deal with animals in cages a lot for work, and sometimes work bleeds into private time that I'm driving my vehicle instead of the work truck, so it would be convenient to have a bed instead of having the whole vehicle enclosed. That's my only motivation for considering trucks.
>>
>>13903690
Ah, then a truck might be a good idea, for you. 2WD RAM with the EcoDiesel is probably your best bet for 25mpg, pothole resistance, and being able to carry wild animals outside of the cabin. Just get a protection plate for the DEF injector.
>>
>>13903729
Thanks man. Is there any tangible difference between diesel and gasoline for my usage, other than the gas mileage?

All of the 2013-2015 used RAMs in my area are v6 or v8 gasoline and the sites have them marked in like the 20 mpg range. If I can theoretically get a gasoline RAM cheap enough below buying one of the diesels new that it justifies the worse mpg, is RAM still my best bet?

I know this is convoluted. Your answer is really excellent, and on paper the RAM ecodiesel does indeed look like exactly what I would want.

They just don't seem to be common in my area, and if I can get a comparable truck with worse mpg for way cheaper it seems hard to justify buying a brand new truck off the lot unless there are other differences I'm not aware of in terms of lasting quality, function, etc.
>>
>>13903779
The Pentastar 3.6 MIGHT pull 20mpg in the RAM, but certainly not the Hemi 5.7L.

If you're okay with somewhat worse mileage, you can think about one of the mid size pickups with a V6. A 2WD Frontier or Tacoma will do 20mpg, maybe better.
>>
>>13903501
f150 duh
also in MS
>>
File: Ford Mustang GT500.jpg (299 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
Ford Mustang GT500.jpg
299 KB, 1280x850
>>13903644
Fords are actually on par with the rest. Dodge generally has shit reliability unless you get the Cummins....and then everything around the engine and trans breaks.

I'm more of a Chevy guy, but don't discount any good Ford deals you see. I like pushrod motors a bit better, but their 5.4 isn't bad.

>Ford pic to piss off all the stupid faggot cock-loving Ford-shill-regurgitating shit heads
>>
>>13903792
So chevrolet, toyota, nissan, and RAM have all been mentioned when talking about gasoline in this thread. All have been presented as seemingly fine options. Are there really not largely noticeable discrepancies between any of the bigger brands for trucks? Like as long as I avoid shit like kia and hyundai(I don't even know if they make trucks they just came to mind), am I probably going to be safe buying any v6 truck? Reminder that I'm really not interested in having to perpetually replace my vehicles. This truck will probably become a beater for as long as it runs once it quits being my daily driver.
>>
>>13903811
>>13903644
Woops, the reason there are so many Fords are simply because they sell that many more of them in comparison to Chevy and Dodge. Ford gets way more fleet sales and whatnot, while having the badge of "Best Selling Truck". I don't believe theyre inherently better, but they just have that reputation which is why they sell literally double the competition. That's really the only reason why they sell more.
>>
>>13903815
>So chevrolet, toyota, nissan, and RAM have all been mentioned when talking about gasoline in this thread. All have been presented as seemingly fine options. Are there really not largely noticeable discrepancies between any of the bigger brands for trucks?
I would avoid Chrysler, personally. I only suggested the RAM EcoDiesel because it is literally the only thing that will meet all of your requirements that you can easily buy. If you are okay with 20, maybe 22mpg highway, I would absolutely go with a Frontier or Tacoma.
>>
>>13903825
Wait, I am a total idiot. If you are okay with buying brand new. The Colorado/Canyon diesel exists and will also do what you want. I think they're even rated at 30mpg highway. Don't bother with 4WD, it will just reduce fuel economy and not be a benefit to you.
>>
>>13903825
>>13903834
I really doubt I'll ever notice the difference between 20 and 25 mpg if I get a better deal, but the diesels sound absolutely perfect if I decide to go with new or luck out and find one used. Thanks a ton.
>>13903797
>>13903811
Missed these posts before my last one. Just want to say thanks.

>>13903822
This reminds me of that old chevy commercial that made fun of Ford for being the best selling truck, implying it was because Chevy trucks lasted too long for them to sell as well. always thought it was hilarious that they used their own slogan against them. Not to say that's any more than propaganda, but it was funny and it's stuck with me.
>>
put a 4d56 in a mighty max and slap a bilt not bawt sticker on it
>>
>>13903866
Good luck finding a Mighty Max.
>>
>>13903875
near enough
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231760637167
>>
>>13903911
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/231760637167
Oh yea, Virginia is quite close to MS.
>>
Depending on where you land on the scale of prioritizing off road ability (and durability) and fuel economy, I'll offer two good options:

Subaru Outback (2015+): 25/33 mpg rating is awesome for something of this size and with this much ground clearance. Pretty sturdy cars but make no mistake, this is not a body on frame vehicle that you can beat on for decades on end. But for MOST people that describe themselves as outdoorsy and like to camp and get to remote hiking trailheads, it's probably good enough.

Option 2: 5th gen Toyota 4Runner. Significantly more capable off road, and is the kind of truck you can hang onto for 20+ years off offroad use and it won't fall apart around you. Durable as all get out. Stay away from crazy lifts and tires, and drive sanely, and it should get 21 mpg highway and about 18mpg in mixed driving. Nowhere as good as the Subaru but actually pretty palatable IMO. 4Runner also has a lot more interior/cargo space, as well as payload.

A new 2016 Outback is about $25-28k if you get a plane jane one or a premium with heated cloth seats. A 4Runner SR5 (no locker, but still capable with full skid plates, part time t-case with low range, and A-TRAC "simulated" locking diffs) starts at about $34-35k. The Trail with a locking diff is about $1k more.
>>
>>13903919
OP appears much more interested in fuel economy since his idea of 'off road' is dirt roads.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.