[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any detailers? Looking at getting my first ever polisher, du
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: buffing pic.jpg (175 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
buffing pic.jpg
175 KB, 1000x1000
Any detailers?
Looking at getting my first ever polisher, dual action as im first timer

Which of these would you suggest, i prefer one with a kit of supplies

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cat_68.html

This one looks to be good value, but desu i have no idea
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-plus-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-plus-chemical-guys-kit/prod_1551.html
>>
>>13902532
I have a similar model to the das-6 pro. I can recommend it and would buy it again.
>>
>>13902598
Right, could you suggest me which kit should i buyt it with?
im very familiar with hand-detailing, but no idea when it comes to machinepolisers supplies

And what kind of pad do i need for applying wax?
>>
File: autogeek_2269_27859469.jpg (30 KB, 525x390) Image search: [Google]
autogeek_2269_27859469.jpg
30 KB, 525x390
I have a griot's garage 6in DA polisher
it is very effective
i turn it down to speed 2 because it has so much damn power.

i highly recommend one.
>>
My dad has a grinder lookin detailer/buffer/w/e
I tried using it to get some wax off my car and it swirled pdq so I just got it off the old fashioned way.
I used to have a random orbital buffer that I actually liked.
>>
>>13902532
>>13904547
Thats weird my mom doesnt know the first thing about cars and she owns something very similar to this
>>
Get a DA, specifically this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

You can find it on sale for <$50 usd, before you use it take apart the gearbox on the front and pack with red lithium grease. It will last forever and is a knockoff of a PC7424.

Get a nice 5" backing pad and an assortment of pads, whole setup should be well under $100 usd
>>
>>13902532
I need a cordless polisher
>>
File: 1402605834919.jpg (8 KB, 232x258) Image search: [Google]
1402605834919.jpg
8 KB, 232x258
>>13905205
>>
>>13905380
So the porter cable is a good buffer? I heard junkman talk about it as being the holy grail for beginners. I might pick it up since I'm trying to learn a little bit of detailing
>>
File: 01.jpg (10 KB, 288x162) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
10 KB, 288x162
I have a few questions I always apply wax by hand/pad, how much better results would i get by using machine buffer? Is it possible to still burn/harm paint at lowest setting?
>>
>>13905953
bump for interest
I feel the same as this anon
>>
>>13902532
Porter cable or Griot's 6in DA, pick one get pads and some polish. Don't look at wool, Don't look at microfiber, Do look at foam pads from Buff n' shine, or Lake Country.

Hex Logic is made by buff n' shine so don't bother unless you like to spend more money for no good reason.

If you're in Canada look into a place called Auto Obsessed, they have kits and bundles and shit to get you started. You can also look into E-shine or a couple other places but Auto Obsessed seem more professional whenever I call them.

If you're in the states look into Auto Geek.

Stay away from Flex until you know what you're doing, Rupes/ Griot's BOSS line are okay to start with if you have lots of money.

>>13904547
I had one as my first polisher, I agree, keep it in 2-5, try to avoid 6.

>>13905161
Grinder is a forced rotation, so harder you push, more you force yourself into the clearcoat.

Dual actions will orbit and rotate, Orbital will just orbit.

Porter Cable and Griot's 6/3 inch are clutch based so you overdo it and they slow down, so it's harder to fuck your paint. Flex 3401 is a forced rotation DA so you can fuck your paint if you act like a fool.

>>13905205
Your Mother clearly knows her shit.

>>13905380
Knockoffs are fine, but avoid the extremes for their power settings. Keep an eye on machine heat or you'll be wasting resources like pads and shit.

>>13905631
Look into the Rupes nano that just came out, the era of excellent cordless/optional cord polishers is upon us.

>>13905921
It's decent, but relatively weak, chances are you'll grow out of it.

>>13905953
Use a red foam pad from Hex/Buff n' and you'll be fine. Warning though, you waste more product when you do it by machine. Quicker, but more expensive in the long run.
>>
>>13907382
but does a machine leave better results than doing it very thoroughly by hand?
>>
>>13907399

Yes.
>>
Not that I've ever experienced.

Keep in mind though that I need to be very precise, and I need to make sure I don't waste too much product. I don't finish cars in any old shit.

I'm usually sending cars away with a coat of either Dodo Juice or Swissvax if they want to leave with a wax so I can't afford to waste an ounce.

Most go with nano-coatings so I absolutely must do it by hand.
>>
>>13907421
is in reference to >>13907399

Listen to this tool >>13907416 at your own risk

Any wax that doesn't apply easily by hand, and wipe away easy after a proper cure time is not worth it.
>>
>>13902583
My cousin's a detailer but he'll just call me a faggot if I call him and tell him to get on a Vietnamese animal husbandry forum to talk about his job.
>>
>>13907399
>doing it very thoroughly by hand
You're wayyy underestimating how hard clearcoat is. You will literally take 12 hours per panel.

How much is your labor worth? Because for minimum wage you could buy several 7424xp polishers with the time it will take you to polish by hand.
>>
>>13907382
>Warning though, you waste more product when you do it by machine
What the fuck are you talking about? You can apply product so much thinner with a machine.
>>
>>13908337
Do you not understand how much left over product is in the foam pad? That's something that will dry up and bam, 80 dollars of wax gone.
>>
>>13908337
>>13909830

I should also clarify, when I say by hand - I mean I put the wax on with my actual hands. in some cases. You don't have nerve endings in applicators and pads. You never really know how much you're putting down unless you can feel it.
>>
>>13909842
Is cleaning cars really all that serious?
I dont mean to be rude, but do you like your job?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.