[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to discourage theft attempts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: high-tech-car-break-in.jpg (194 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
high-tech-car-break-in.jpg
194 KB, 425x282
My car got stolen this week, probably by someone breaking the window then using the OBD port to clone a key. Currently a seething ball of rage.

I think I know how to almost guarantee this won't happen again but I also want to discourage thieves from even attempting it because I don't want them to keep smashing the windows when I get a replacement. What's the best way to put car thieves off even trying to steal?
>>
>>13898357
Don't have a nice looking car in a shitty neighborhood.
>>
What car?
>>
File: interdasting.jpg (51 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
interdasting.jpg
51 KB, 685x567
>>13898357
>using the OBD port to clone a key
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 598x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 598x350
>>13898357
Stop living in a nigger infested neighborhood.
>>
>>13898366
Fiesta ST-3

>>13898362
Its a nice neighborhood, the cunts commute to steal cars.
>>
File: homer laughing.gif (2 MB, 300x196) Image search: [Google]
homer laughing.gif
2 MB, 300x196
>>13898390
>Fiesta ST-3
>>
>>13898357
Put train horns on the car with an air tank somewhere in the back. Use a 12v solenoid valve to actuate the horns, then wire the valve to the door light switches. Hide a switch somewhere on the outside of the car to arm the valve.
>get out of car
>shut door
>flip hidden arming switch
>someone opens the door in the night trying to be all sneaky breeki
>HONK HONK MOTHERFUCKER
>use garden hose to wash away shit stains on driveway
>>
>>13898424
That would be hilarious, but I want to stop them before they even open the door. I get the feeling that this is going to happen a lot and I don't want to keep paying for broken windows or locks.
>>
>>13898357
Have a manual. Niggers can't drive manuals.

Also take out the ignition fuse when you leave it.
>>
>>13898439
get a garage nigger
>>
>>13898461
It is (was) a manual. I'm going to take out the OBD fuse next time, that should stop anyone stealing it. But I want to stop them trying to steal it, they aren't going to know if a fuse is missing.

>>13898464
Not that I could seeing as I live in a flat, but does this actually make it more secure, especially if its not an opportunist but you are being targetted specifically? Seems like a garage would be helpful to the thief because they can do their thing without anyone seeing them.
>>
>>13898357
>then using the OBD port to clone a key
What the fuck? Is this a thing you can do? Just jack into the OBD port and start it up?
>>
File: 1447332282595.jpg (130 KB, 300x341) Image search: [Google]
1447332282595.jpg
130 KB, 300x341
Put one of those Japanese anime wraps on your car
No one would steal that shit
>>
>>13898486
this is the only way.
>>
>>13898484
Absolutely, if you've got keyless entry/start.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/132526-hack-the-diagnostics-connector-steal-yourself-a-bmw-in-3-minutes
>>
>>13898357
go full scene kid and get a snap off steering wheel boss
>>
>>13898481
the more difficult it is to steal your car, the more likely they'll just steal whatever else. Unless you have a really expensive car that can be sold off easily, they are not specifically targeting you.
>>
>>13898372

You're fucking dumb if you don't realise that criminals now travel to nice neighbourhoods to steal shit.

My mate got his brand new hilux stolen they filled the tray with anything of value from his house, they caught the guys and they were from the gold coast, they had travelled 100km to his area and hit a bunch of houses in that week.
>>
someone attempted to steal my car once. Jokes on them because my synchros are fucked so you have to go from 2nd, 4th, 5th, reverse, to get it to go into reverse and i always park in front of a tree or pole or something.

>not having a password protected stick
shiggy diggy
>>
>>13898536
I would guess it was stolen to order. The fact that you need a specific computer and that it was parked well out of the way of any normal pedestrian makes me think they knew it was going to be there.
>>
>>13898551
so you parked your car in a place without much foot traffic? they could have just broken the window, released the e-brake and rolled it into a truck. Or just towed the thing. Don't you think that's a bit more realistic than them cloning your key and driving away?
>>
>>13898424
It'd be better if you could find a way to toggle it on, so it wont just be a light blip but a long continuous horn sound.

It will also wake you up.
>>
>>13898566
There's a fair amount of foot traffic, but its all people who live there rather than randoms passing through.

They definitely broke the window but if they had got in to release the handbrake they would have set off the alarm.
>>
rent a garage and buy a dual sport for commuting problem solved
>>
The train horn idea might work if you have it wired to activate when an appropriate proximity sensor is tripped and the car isn't locked, however this is probably going to require a bread board.

Alternatively, rig up a flamethrower to the same thing, although you'll need a remote arming switch just to be safe. If you don't feel like possibly killing anyone who messes with your car, you can also create an electric deterrent using a cattle fence circuit.
>>
>>13898548
Haha now that's comedy
>>
>>13898357

If your car is nice enough to be frequently targeted, park in a garage. If it isn't, park where it will be stolen and collect the insurance payout to get something nicer.
>>
>>13898367
Not exactly clone the key, i don't know if you can do that on any car, but in wv you can disable the inmobilizer connecting a funny dongle called vag drive box to the OBD2 port, then you can hotwire the car and drive it away.

The reason of having that feature escapes me, but some engineer at wolfsburg though that it could be a good idea to be able to bypass the most effective security measure of their cars with a 100$ dongle from china....

http://tigerpick.com/en/immobilizers/237-edc16-drive-box-for-vag-group.html
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.