[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this allowed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: BMW-M6-GTLM.jpg (195 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
BMW-M6-GTLM.jpg
195 KB, 1024x683
All BMW ever does is take a GT3 car and change the underbody air channels, and wing size and calls it a GTE car.

Does this ever produce a win?
>>
File: bmw-z4-gte-michelin.jpg (522 KB, 1200x724) Image search: [Google]
bmw-z4-gte-michelin.jpg
522 KB, 1200x724
>>13893908
they remove the restrictor too desu.

Also Aston Martin and Z4 teams do something similar
>>
>>13893989
The Aston is a completely different car
>>
How the fuck can you complain about that?

You fuckers usually complain about racecars being way to different from the original, to the point where it might as well be a different car.

And now you complain about a car being not different
>>
>>13893908
it just means the road car already has most of the features required
>>
>>13893908
thats gooder
>>
>>13893908
This comes to a price though, the car will only compete in IMSA and cant compete in ACO sanctioned races like Le Mans
>>
Did the Z4 have a vent for the rear? I noticed the M6 has it, presumably to cool the transaxle. Does the transaxle need that much cooling though? I can't see why a transaxle would, but a front-end transmission wouldn't?

Changing the underbody air channels is a pretty big deal, anyways. Combined with GTE regulations letting you do some pretty much custom tube frame front and rear, these cars are getting back to being GT2 cars.

GT3 a best though.
>>
>>13896708
When did they get transaxles?
>>
>>13896367
Well, the GT3 is already very, very different to the road car. He's complaining that the GTE isn't different enough, because..no results?
>>
>>13896722 isn't different enough

compared to that GT3.
Goddammit, forgot the point of the post.
>>
>>13896722
Why don't they just make a GT3 roadcar?

They almost did with the M3 CSL and Porsche has been doing it for years with the 911 GT3 and some GT2's
>>
>>13896725
I would have been fine with a Z4M to begin with. Or a Z4 40i with the V8

We will see two art cars based on the M6 GT3 in 2017

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/pressDetail.html?title=cao-fei-and-john-baldessari-to-create-the-next-bmw-art-cars&outputChannelId=9&id=T0243942EN_US&left_menu_item=node__4536
>>
>>13896725
BMW hasn't done proper homologation models for ages. Nearly no manufacturer has. Porsche's GT3, as a cup car, not GT3 class, might be the sole remaining one that's even remotely close. Don't even want to know what Ferrari is doing to the 458/488.
>>
A thing I don't get with BMW is how they still claim that all their technology is Formula 1 derived, when they haven't been in F1 for years
>>
>>13896741
What about the GT2 911?

Are they more backbones racecar?
>>
>>13896750
I don't think there's an official race-GT2 left? Don't know for sure. The road going car is twin-turbo, which, to my knowledge, no current GT class Porsche has. But I'm far from sure.
Still, even beyond that, there's just not that much left that resembles the production GT2. Of which there is none (yet) in the 991 gen.
>>
>>13896750
Huh? The GT2 even has A/C. The only difference is that it's significantly more powerful and RWD only.

>Are they more backbones racecar?
The GT3 RS is.
>>
>>13896949
What about the GT2 RS?
>>
>>13896961
The GT2 RS is a cross between a GT2 engine and a GT3 RS body, basically.
>>
>>13896970
Best of them both
>>
File: BMW-M6-GTLM-rear.jpg (200 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
BMW-M6-GTLM-rear.jpg
200 KB, 1024x683
>>13896385
>the road car
What crack are you on and can I have some?
>>
File: SCG 003 C 20151030-PA300142.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
SCG 003 C 20151030-PA300142.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1440
>>13896741
>no more homologation specials
Hello.
>>
>>13896718
Just now apparently. You can find it in various press releases, but you can just tell by looking at the NACA ducts on the car. The front is still vented for radiator/intercooler v-mount, as you can tell from the hood. The two rear lower vents on the side are for brakes. The two higher rear vents are for something in the center back. Your choices are radiator, transaxle, and fuel tank. The first one isn't relocated, the second is most likely, and the third is useful only for Ferraris to fuel the inevitable fire more.

Those fogs are really ugly.

>>13896741
I think homologation rules were loosened from those of yesteryear, with only the cars needing to be body shell production based. Otherwise we'd have Z4s with V8s, and 911s with double wishbone fronts.

>>13896750
The Turbo is a hopped up 911 with turbos. The GT2 is a hopped up Turbo with more turbo. The GT2 RS is a hopped up GT2 with less stuff in it and costs more.

>>13896725
>Why don't they just make a GT3 roadcar?
Nobody would buy it? Because you'd just buy a Porsche cup car?

I have to wonder though, if the M6 GTE will be competitive. The OP is right to say it barely looks any different from a GT3 model, whereas the Ford GT is fucking wild. The damn thing is stretched to the limit of the rules and hangs a massive diffuser out the back.
>>
Remember when touring cars were actual cars?

I miss those days.
>>
>>13898767
And for what regulations is it homologated?

Certainly not GT3 and neither any of the LMP classes

>muh CN
>>
>>13893908

I was under the impression a GTE car had to be somewhat close to the road car so I don't see what your problem is. Did you mean to have it the other way around? GTE to GT3?
>>
>>13898962
BMW has a habit of rejiggering their GT3 cars into GTEs.

Everyone else builds their GTEs from scratch instead of modifying a GT3 design and then demanding that IMSA/ACO/FIA give them a exception from regulations.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.