[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/ I was land surveying a relevantly wealthy house yesterday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: RS-Cold-1.jpg (67 KB, 960x363) Image search: [Google]
RS-Cold-1.jpg
67 KB, 960x363
Hey /o/

I was land surveying a relevantly wealthy house yesterday and noticed the owner had (2006?) Dodge Viper SRT10 in his driveway. After peeking through the window I saw that it was manual stick shift. When I was finished with the work the owner came out and I complimented his car. He asked me if I wanted to hear it and I said sure. To my surprise, instead of getting in in the car to start it he took out his key fab and remotely started it. It wasn't until I left it occurred to me.

>How the fuck did he remote start a manual transmission

I looked online late and found that it's possible to install. According to an article I found, the remote have lights indicating if the car is in neutral and that the emergency brake is on in order to start. What about the clutch though? I know super old manual cars didn't require the clutch to be engaged to start but this clearly isn't the case. Does /o/ know?
>>
>>13892849
>>How the fuck did he remote start a manual transmission

>I looked online late and found that it's possible to install.

answered your own question br/o/
>>
>>13892849

>defeat neutral safety switch
>install remote start

Only downside is you can't park in gear if you're gonna use it.
>>
>>13892883
Why would you park it in gear anyway?
>>
>>13892893
why wouldn't you, i don't even pull the ebrake son.
>>
It's easy to do, most shops won't do it for liability reasons. Old cars have no safety switches, I saw at a mecum auction this old boomer wanted to drive up on the auction block himself, when it was time to drove off he started the car when it was in gear and almost hit one of the staff.
>>
>>13892893

it's a safe and arguably more effective way to keep it from rolling than the ebrake.
>>
>>13892893
> I've only driven autotragic cars my whole life
>>
Even if I had a remote start system, I don't like starting up the engine without pressing the clutch pedal.
>>
>>13892872
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but the article didn't say how they evaded the clutch-start mechanism. My question was how they did it.
>>
>>13892849
Technician/mechanic dumbfuck here.

I'm not that experienced but installing remote starters is not that hard of a thing to do given the tools. For a while my shop only installed automatic car starters for liability purposes. Then we hired some smart guy who came up with a safe system.

What you said is correct. The remote has a light indicating if the care is in neutral. It has another light indicating if the ebrake is on. If both of these conditions are met then you may remote start your car. Concerning the clutch issue, the clutch serves no mechanical need to start the engine. It is merely an electrical safety feature that was used starting in the 70s (I think). Bypassing this is very simple and all one needs to do is cut a couple wires. Unfortunately I've come across one or two advanced new manual cars that alert the computer that something is wrong alerting the car's internal anti-theft system thus making the unable to start. One of my co-workers is a damn car-theft genius and somehow "reprogrammed" the computer to think that nothings wrong. Not sure how he did it. Little sketchy if you ask me.
>>
>>13892985
You must live somewhere that doesn't experience cold since I would MUCH rather press a button and walk outside to warm car then go out and sit in a cold car while it is warming up (or run out, start car and run back in to let car warm up).
>>
>>13893132
I meant, get in, start the engine and pressing the clutch, go outside again and let it warm.
>>
>>13892849
>super old cars
Fuck you.
>>
This is a bad idea. You have to short the clutch button so there is no need to clutch to start.

Had a buddy who was with some friends in Vegas, they were loading a manual impala up with shit in front of the hotel after the valet brought it. Valet left the car in gear, guy accidentally hit the remote start.

Car lurched forward driving up on car in front of it, pinning my friend between them. He got very lucky and was only bruised and banged up badly, nothing broken. Don't put remote start on a standard, the clutch button is there for a reason.
>>
>>13892849
If the car has a safety switch depends on the car, not nessesarily the age of the car. My '03 Fiesta didn't have one while for example the '95 Firebird I test drove did.
>>
>>13892904
You mean the parking brake
>>
>>13892849
>land surveying
What a fucking scam
I bet you make $40k a year I guess that's the best some dumb fuck retarded liberal arts major can do

>mfw dumbass friend majoring in geomatics
>>
File: 1425920586604.jpg (28 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
1425920586604.jpg
28 KB, 680x583
>car has no neutral safety switch from the factory
>gf had to move it
>she left it in gear
>i always leave it in neutral in my driveway
>get in a start it
>lurches forward and knocks over a garbage can

FUCKING CUNT LEAVE IT NEUTRAL YOU WHORE
>>
>>13893567
>Wife doesn't straighten out wheel when she parks

I have it worse.
>>
>>13893567
>not leaving in gear

son how does it feel to be dumber than your girlfriend
>>
>>13893006
The clutch start is literally a button that the pedal hits, the remote start system bypasses that interlock but checks if the vehicle is in gear.
Simple shit.
>>
>>13893539
Huh? I have a four year SCIENCE degree and a professional land surveyor's license issued by my state. We were measuring the ROW of a property for a large and much needed utility line to go through. It's absolutely necessary. What are you getting on about?
>>
>>13893607
>>13893090
>>13893447
>>13893479
Thanks for the interesting info /o/. I knew you guys could help me out.
>>
>>13893631
How much $$$
>>
>>13893447
>>13893607
Done right, a remote start will make sure the car is in neutral. That's not always the case though, half-assed installs start the car in gear. "1,001 Ways To Die" even had a story of some dumbfuck who managed to run himself over with his own truck by remote starting it.
>>
I didnt bother to read the thread. My 2011 ford focus has a manual and original remote start. No problem with keyless.
>>
>>13893658
Eh. Not much. I graduated from the Colorado school of Mines last May and got my license in the summer. My starting salary was just $67k which is very reasonable. My degree is in Civil Engineering but I worked with a surveying company that surveyed out appropriate places where oil pipelines can be placed using GPS and laser tech during my college years. I was going to just become a civil engineer but the damn boards who hand out the professional engineering licenses decided I needed my masters degree. The surveying co that I worked for said if I continue to work for them they would reimburse my school debt over a number of years and offered me more than most firms would. Very happy with the job and I make plenty of money. Heck my boss easily makes over $135k a year so there's room to move up.
>>
>>13893756
HAHAHAHA POORFAGGOT

Can't wait to show my friend this posy, stupid geomatics degree, BS is right
>>
File: 1442545867728.jpg (23 KB, 480x331) Image search: [Google]
1442545867728.jpg
23 KB, 480x331
>>13892849
>>
>>13893775
haha nah

someone's got to do it and it needs to be done for precise infrastructure
>>
>>13893880
Go duck yourself

PRE MED MASTER RACE
>>
File: 1345643545.jpg (2 KB, 90x90) Image search: [Google]
1345643545.jpg
2 KB, 90x90
>>13893888
>damage control
>>
>>13893888
>LELELEL GUYS ENGINEERS AND TECHNICIANS AREN'T NEEDED IN TEH WURLDS

you must this in India if you don't infrastructure is important. Poo in loo
>>
>>13893888
nigga for real? You haven't even graduated college yet and you think pre med is the master race? You're not even in residency yet you tard. You can't do shit for the world with just premed

>why the fuck is this shit on /o/?
>>
>>13893888
Is....Is this a joke? Obviously he can do more than you with just a fucking premed degree. Fuck you don't even have it yet I bet. Stupid undergrad fags thinking they own the world.

And fuck you for derailing the thread you dumb shitposter take that shit to /trash/
>>
>>13893888
Get your shit off of /o/. Nobody gives a shit about your premed. Ffs you haven't even graduated and haven't been through the tough shit and your picking on some anon who's making more money than you? You obviously don't know shit about proper job infrastructure. Go back to /b/ and shit post there.
>>
>>13893888
Wow /o/ can BTFO any fucking idiot I guess. Well done guys kek
>>
>>13894250
>>13894010
>>13893920

>more upset dumbasses who probably failed out of their liberal arts degree with debt
i read the jobs thread
most of you are fucking idiots
but i guess someone like op is a god to you
top kek
>>
>>13894317
Med fag here in residency and my God you are one pathetic peice of shit. I bet you can't even fuck you stupid undergrad shit. You don't even know you're going to finish premed and you're talking shit about engineers? Do you realize we need them? Pathetic
>>
>>13894317
Wrong faggot. Graduated in pharmacology two years ago. Working for Abbot
>>
>>13893567
All you proved was that you're an irresponsible cunt who hopes for the best, and when things don't work out after you were negligent you get mad about it.
>>
>>13894407
have fun pushing pills in a soul sucking environment where both your salary and respect for you decreases
>>13894393
shut up, you know we're better you don't have to hide it

and i AM going to graduate
i already have the white coat
>>
>>13894317
Kek you're making retarded assumptions to cover your dumbass. But to prove you wrong I'm a chemical engineer.
>>
>>13894465
Oh you're just a troll. You had me going there for a sec. Nobody could be that retarded.
>>
>>13894465
You mean the same medicine you'll be using? Holy fuck. Check out this guy.
>>
>>13894465
You have your white coat now and you're still in pre med. Holy. Fucking. Shit. You're not even a student are you? People get ceremonial white coats upon entering medical school. You clearly are a fraud
>>
>>13893447
My car has no clutch sensor and has no neutral sensor.

My remote start system works by ensuring the car is in Neutral when you turn it off. Very annoying.

>stop car
>handbrake up, neutral, foot off brake
>relay engages, starter active
>remove key, car STAYS RUNNING
>get out of car
>all doors close, car locks doors and shuts itself off

It knows (or reasonable assumes) nobody is in the car, and the car was in neutral or else you got out of your in-gear,running car somehow.

System disengages if a door gets opened at any time after it does its procedure.

Also this is a 2009 Focus, not sure what percentage of cars have no neutral or clutch sensor. But the installer seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about doing it this way, made it seem standard.
>>
File: Image326.jpg (77 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Image326.jpg
77 KB, 1024x768
>>13894586
>tfw my '09 Focus has a clutch interlock

Yeah, I'm going to assume that's an aftermarket system as remote start was never offered with the manual as an option.
>>
>>13893775
Wow by that logic some white trash spic who wins hundreds of millions in lottery is better than you

Sound logic right there nig
>>
>>13894612
It is aftermarket. Live in a cold ass area, had remote start before this car, hard to go back.

I could always start my car without the clutch in, even before the system, so I doubt there was any failsafe even before.

It's an American market Focus SE, second variant (without the trunk release button). Maybe there are differences between it and yours?
>>
>>13894317
>casually browsing /o/
>see this thread and it peaks my interest
>OP casually mentions what he was doing when he saw the car initiating the subject
>some entitled dumbfuck derails the thread criticizing poor OP for his job
>Even after several anons rebuke him he still keeps shitting all over the place

wow I didn't think these fags spilled over onto small boards like /o/. I fucking hate when college fucks feel they're the shit. Can't wait for real life to slap them in the face.
>>
File: 100_0619-1.jpg (173 KB, 1022x766) Image search: [Google]
100_0619-1.jpg
173 KB, 1022x766
>>13894645
>so I doubt there was any failsafe even before.
>It's an American market Focus SE,

Yes I understand that, I have the same car.I've had mine since it had 5 miles, it most definitely has one stock.

>second variant (without the trunk release button)
Early build '09s didn't have the trunk release in the cabin. Mine was built in 01/09 and does have it.
>>
>>13894413
>getting any of that from a joke post

Shutup Ethan
>>
>>13892849
>How the fuck did he remote start a manual transmission
By having it in neutral with the e break on.
>>
>>13894861
Read the rest of the post and thread. The question was how the clutch engagement was bypassed but it's already been answered
>>
>>13892966
>/o/ - auto
>auto
>driving a spicshifter
>>
>>13892849

Superold cars. You mean pre-2010? Fucking stupid kids.

Any car that doesn't require the brake or the clutch to pressed might be started without any trouble. You just have to leave it parked in neutral.

/close thread
>>
>>13893756
>Mines
hahahhahahahhhahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahhahaaahahaha retard
>>
>>13894923
Uhhhhhh.
BMW was doing it in the 90's.
>>
>>13892893

Because it's the correct way to do it. You always leave it in gear. 1st if the road is flat or going up reverse if the road goes down.

Added safety + parking brake.
>>
>>13894927
step down. your arms are too short to box with god.
>>
>>13893090

You practically only need some electronic gizmo to trick the sensor to think the circuit is on or off depending the requirement. No fancy ecu reflashing needed other than a 2 bucks part from an electronic shop, if you're into butchering your car, that is.
>>
>>13894742
Wasn't positive on which variant was which.

Unless it was for some reason bypassed by the previous owner, not sure what to say. I remember when I first got it, being my first manual, I did actually crank the starter and lurch the car. Twice. Foot on the brake but not on the clutch. Not my finest moments but it happened, months before the auto-starter was installed.
>>
>>13894931

Sorry but no.

I owned a 01 E46 and currently have an 07 E90 and both of those did not have any safety systems. So no, BMW was not doing it since the 90's. Rules may be different in dumfuckistan America but in the civilized old continent people don't need nanny electronics to avoid them being killed as much.
>>
>>13894945
Ah, that's it. Thanks br/o/
>>
>>13894927
who gives a flying fuck dumbshit. I went to Purdue and we had several competitions with CSoM and they are damn respectable. Schools might be different but the boards who hand out engineering licenses are the same. They don't give two fucks what school you came from; if you have a degree and past their test that's the SAME for anyone, you're smart enough to be an engineer. You sound like one of those highschool babies that fall for OMG COME TO OUR SCHOOL WE'RE NUMBER ONE AND YOU'LL GET A GREAT EDUCATION. That's a God damn marketing ploy. Math is the same where ever you go. Get off your highhorse horse retard.
>>
>>13893888

>mfw pre med isn't required to get into med school.

Go fuck yourself.
What would make pre med the master race? Money? Because if that's your motivating factor why aren't you studying law.

Fucking kike
>>
>>13894985
>I was wrong so I'm going to try to appear non defensive and condescending so he'll feel bad!
There is no law in the US requiring a clutch switch.
It had been debated but because it was already standard in so many cars they didn't pass it.
Which is exactly what they should have done about the 2012 abs and tcs law.
>>
>>13895207
im in it for money
unlike you dumbasses i get a free ride everywhere i go
i'm set to graduate next spring and get into harvard medical
so yes, my white coat is very deserved no matter how early i got it
>>
>>13895320
You are disgusting. But since you're just a premed baby you haven't seen shit yet. I can't wait for you to get out of mommy's embrace to see the real world. You can't even fuck.

Oh and your precious whitecoat that you claim to have gotten before being accepted to an actual med school and going through their precious white coat ceremony is shit. What did you do take it from your Chem 101 lab and play dress up to pretend
>look guys I'm a REAAAAAL med student.
>>
>>13894937
If it's flat, I put it in reverse as it has a higher gear ratio in my car.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.