[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain to me the threshold for diesel engines struggling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Can anyone explain to me the threshold for diesel engines struggling to start in the cold and how to work with it?
I'm thinking about getting a used pickup truck, and I like the benefits of diesel (efficiency, longevity, torque, the smell and sound), but I'm not sure if it's viable for me.
I live in the northern USA, close to the Canadian border, so it gets cold where I am. Also, I have to park in a parking lot at night for most of the year, so I don't have access to an external power supply like a wall outlet.
Should I just stop considering it altogether and go for gasoline?
>>
>>13891773
glow plugs are a thing
>>
>>13891791

this

glow plugs puts out heat so you don't have to.
>>
All diesel cars/trucks should have ability to be started by running compressed air through them.

Just imagine having a diesel truck on a cold snowy morning.
>pop hood
>get compressed air tank
>hook it up to the engine
>turn key
>watch the engine be forced into life.
>>
>>13891791
>>13891804
Thanks for the responses.
I gave the wikipedia page a quick read, so now I'm a little more familiar.
Is glow plug usage something that's always included, even in older engines (1980s)? Or are there other systems around?
Also, does anyone know how cold it has to be for the fuel to start gelling?
>>
>>13891837
You can always throw in a few gallons of kerosene to thin out the diesel. However if you live up north, they usually put out a winter blended diesel, I forget which one is #1 and which is #2. But you should be fine.

Glow plugs will get you going in the cold no problem. Block heater is mostly so you don't freeze your shit for a half hour after you start driving, because it takes a good amount of time for a big diesel to generate enough heat to warm the cab.
>>
>>13891837
all the 1980s diesels I've driven had glow plugs and have started fine in freezing weather

when it was -20C outside my 300D had a hard time starting, so I had to crank it for a while, but it was only because I didn't have access to a wall outlet so my block heater wasn't on.
>>
>>13891837
How cold does it get? I've seen engines with cold start strategies that don't kick in till -20c.
Your fuel supplier will mix fuels suitable for the weather conditions
>>
>>13891856
>>13891859
Thanks, guys. You've all been very helpful.
Is /o/ normally this productive? I'm not used to seeing this on 4chan.
>>13891882
It gets to single digits below zero. Nothing too bad. It's mostly just a fuckton of lake effect snow to worry about.
>>
some cars have heated fuel filter canisters
retrofit
>>
Make sure your glow plugs are in shape, get a strong battery with good cold-cranking amps and consider getting an engine-heater for an easier start, less stress to engine and battery aswell as much, much quicker warmth from the fans

Also make sure to charge the battery once a week or so unless you daily drive distances long enough to top the battery up
>>
>>13891931
>Is /o/ normally this productive? I'm not used to seeing this on 4chan.

If someone has a question I can answer; I like to help when I can.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.