[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Probably gonna catch flak for this question thread, but fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1436347562599.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1436347562599.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
Probably gonna catch flak for this question thread, but fuck it. I need to select a Minivan in the near future. Max cost is $15K (150/mo). No older than 2007. I have narrowed it down to three vehicles:

Honda Odyssey (07+). Toyota Sienna (07+). Dodge Grand Caravan (2012+) in that price-range.

>needs a vehicle I can lay my tall self down in for sleeps and such
>tired of having to crouch to get into cars (trucks and SUVs are good, but can't lay down)
>safety purposes
>guaranteed V6+
>insurance rates

The Honda and Toyota minivans will likely have 80-90K+ miles on them, while the Caravans are around 60-70K miles. Help me pick guys.
>>
There is no reason to own a minivan when you could go with a Wagon, Sedan, 4 door hatchback, or a real Econoline
>>
>>13889666

Your satan 6's compliment my dubs perfectly. Thank you.

As for what you said, I did consider a wagon. But here's the problem.

>height

Wagons aren't very tall or spacious. I'm 6'4, and getting into a vehicle is hard as fuck when you try and step in and the tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel catches your leg.

Sedan and hatches, I can't lay flat in. Econoline is good for all of those things except safety.
>>
Anyone else?
>>
>>13889655

>>>/consumerreports/
>>
>>13889792
If you can get an Odyssey do it.

Like most people in the thread would say, I'd prefer an SUV, but an odyssey is probably your best all-rounder.

Sienna has been a surprising disappointment in the reliability department for my in-laws. Other than that, town and country is good except for the reliability meme.
>>
>>13889844
Sorry most of my info is anecdotal, I'm sure general consumer reports would do a better job.
>>
>>13889655

Chrysler minivans are God-tier and have been their only good product. Get a Stow-n-Go Town and Country, any of them, and you've beaten everything else.

Prove me wrong, /o/.

I'll take a 2004 T&C over any other wagon for the price.
>>
File: Burger+King.jpg (61 KB, 1234x675) Image search: [Google]
Burger+King.jpg
61 KB, 1234x675
Which mini-van has the fastest Nurburgring time. That's the one /o/ will recommend.
>>
>>13889837
>>13889844
>>13889858

OP here: I've done a fair amount of study on all the choices, but experience from the rest of /o/ is something I found valuable.

For example, the Odyssey is reported to have transmission failure problems, something that also plagues the Sienna as well. The new Chrysler Minivans, surprisingly, don't have very many transmission issues. On the other hand, they have plenty of brake issues. I'm going by consumer reports, recalls, etc.

I will say this though: if I could be certain that an 07+ Honda Odyssey would not fall victim to transmission issues, I would pick it over the others. Why? Because aside from the transmission, the Odysseys have very good mileage tolerance. Also, most of the available models in that price range are EX-L and Touring (inb4 Pax tires, don't like em either). Getting a minivan with all the nice features and that VCM (shuts off three cylinders for to save MPGs when not pushing it hard) sounds very good.
>>
File: 2003-chevrolet-astro-4.jpg (65 KB, 800x539) Image search: [Google]
2003-chevrolet-astro-4.jpg
65 KB, 800x539
>not going with god-tier Astro or Safari

Do you like making life harder for yourself or something?

The fuckers are indestructible and cheap as shit to own. They hold a shit load of stuff (the bench seats are removable), they're body on what's basically a Silverado frame, they're easy enough to work on, and any part can be sourced within an hour (assuming you live in the U.S.). The rear dutch doors are the fucking best as well, I might add.

We have a '97 with a quarter million miles on it, and we changed the spark plugs and wires this weekend for the first time in 120,000 miles. We then drove it 980 miles cruising at 75. It got us 20.9mpg, almost meeting its EPA estimate of 21 MPG.

We've never cracked open the engine, the trans was rebuilt 90,000 ago, I changed the rear diff fluid for the first time only two thousand miles ago, the alternator once, and the fan clutch once. That's really it.

It is easily the best vehicle we have owned, by far.

And with your budget, you'll be able to find a mint, low miles '05 (last year of production). Those had disks all around and 16" wheels as well.
>>
>>13889953

Spend 4,000 bucks on a Chrysler and spend thebrest on blow.
>>
>>13889960

Will consider, senpai.

>>13889965

I like the idea, but I can't.
>>
>>13889655
>No older than 2007

Why?
>>
>>13889695
m8 minivans aren't safe either. they're notorious for crunching the a pillar and floor.

I'd rather be in an econoline in an accident over a Dodge Grand Caravan
>>
>>13890115
>>13890120

Given what I've read about mechanical problems and safety issues with the Odyssey and Sienna, the 2007 years and beyond had the least amount of those issues.

>>13890120

You're talking about certain models. I think Honda fixed that when they put that ACE engineering thing into effect for the 06+ Odyssey IIRC.
>>
>>13890192

Buy a Caravan that is older than 2007 and say goodbye to paying interest and a buttload of money.

Your reasoning is flawed if you choose to exclude the Chryslers too when they never had whatever issues you are talking about.

Leathe, torque, stow and go, automatic sliding doors and liftgate, 28 mpg, moonroof, DVD entertainment.... All for 4,000 dollars.
>>
>>13891112
Look I get it, the 2004 TnC. All the stuff you listed is fine and dandy, but what about mileage and safety features? Sure Im fucked if the vehicle rolls but the airbags all over and knee airbags (2011+) are nice.

Keep in mind folks, when I say 2011/2012+ dodge grand caravan, I also mean the Town and Country (hell even the VW Routan). All the stuff I greentexted is a must though. I appreciate opinions, but keep in mind those core needs.
>>
>>13889858
>>13889953
My dad has a 2005 Grand Caravan. Other than regular maintenance, nothing's really ever gone wrong with it. He has about 280k km (173k miles) on it right now.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.