[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
to my br/o/s in BC: how many mountain roads are there near
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13
File: BC-coast.jpg (2 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
BC-coast.jpg
2 MB, 2304x1728
to my br/o/s in BC:

how many mountain roads are there near where you live? is there like one giant road that goes between the mountains and kind of avoids them, or are there twisty mountain roads like in southern California?

Reason I'm asking is because I have family that lives in Vancouver, and I've got a few friends who want to take a road trip next summer to visit it, but only if there's roads worth driving on. If not, then we'll just fly over and stay the week.
>>
I hope you slam into the side of a mountain and fall into a lake in your dumb fucking yellow s2000
So drive
>>
>>13889084
>yellow s2000

Dude, I think it's a Miata.
>>
>>13889032

Honestly the best roads are in Oregon and Washington.

Everything near Vancouver is either boring, tourist-ridden, full of speed traps and ill-maintained. Sometimes all four. Interior BC has more fun roads.

The drive up would be nice if you plan on avoiding the Freeway. I recommend route 97 through the Yakima valley.

Source: I live in Vancouver.
>>
>>13889137
Whats Cypress or Seymour like? They look like the only remotely interesting roads in the lower mainland, but I heard they're full of RCMP even in the dead of night.
>>
>>13889032
there are some decent roads on vancouver island but only one really has any hairpins or the like. Most are crowded with tourists and boat traffic(like large boats on trailers) in the summer but almost all are empty in the winter spring and fall.
>>
The whole Vancouver region has almost no good driving roads

there's a few but they're either really short, or insanely enforced. Plus 40km/h or more over and you get impounded on the spot. The Sea to Sky highway between Vancouver and Squamish is great at 2am on a weekday morning, but horrible during the day as it's one giant impound trap

Gas is insanely expensive too. I drained half a tank of gas between Vancouver and Squamish a few years ago on an early morning run. That's 40 bucks for about 15-20 minutes of driving.

Washington and oregon have much better roads, and california has the best because canyons. Most sport bike guys who want to do some spirited riding cross the border because the fines and penalties are so extreme here. All summer long all you see on the fun routes is bikes getting loaded onto flatbeds on their way to the impound yard because they were doing 131 in a 90 zone.

BC is like a noose. Financially and culturally. Come here to commit figurative suicide, basically.
>>
>>13889032

Depends where you're coming from. I had fun driving my girlfriend's Impala on the #1 and #5 highways, but I'm from southern Saskatchewan so basically anything other than a straight line is exciting to me. I'd like to go back with my IS300 sometime and take a few detours to find some twisties.
>>
>>13889084
I literally don't know how to crash, because I've never done it.

>>13889099
I swear to fuck m8.

>>13889216
eh that sounds like it kinda sucks. I scouted the area VIA google maps, and it didn't look that interesting. Defiantly better than ontario, but I don't think it's worth the cross-country drive down there. It'd be better just to drive to the dragon if that's what I'm going for.
>>
>>13889184

They are.

Either full of cops or chinks crashing Ferraris.

No fun allowed.

The Sea to Sky is a nice drive but still full of cops and people going to Whistler. Not to mention a speedtrap at Lion's Bay where the speed limit becomes 60km/h on a fucking freeway. ON A FUCKING FREEWAY!
>>
>>13889217
>BC is like a noose. Financially and culturally. Come here to commit figurative suicide, basically.

BC-Bring Cash.
>>
>>13889184
Cypress is fairly boring, long straights and only 2 real hairpins, Cypress is a bit better, more hairpins and some nice flowing curves, but don't expect anything technical,both roads are cruise roads more then anything since pushing your self would take you speeds 2X the speed limits on the straights.
>>
>>13889032
just fly, its not like the US where mountain passes / roads are well maintained.
Theres some nice highways around but none of them are really technical or like the toogays. Back roads in the interior are great if you 4x4, though
>>13889137
This guy has it right, mountain roads just across the border are great
>>
File: 1444668811664.png (37 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1444668811664.png
37 KB, 250x250
>>13889254
>Not to mention a speedtrap at Lion's Bay

Those curves are amazing, I suffer extreme anal pain having to do 70 or 80 through that section, it's such a blast to do when you're hauling ass. Why the hell do they even drop the speed to 60 anyway.
>>
>>13889308
So they can make money off of tickets, obviously.
>>
File: 1444774720181.jpg (67 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1444774720181.jpg
67 KB, 633x758
>>13889325
I guess I was just hoping there was a genuine reason and not "lets make a section of this highway 35mph so that we can rape motorists"
>>
>>13889308
>Why the hell do they even drop the speed to 60 anyway.

Because Lion's Bay's full of faggot NIMBYs.

Also this >>13889325
>>
>>13889254
>>13889308
>tfw when being first off the ferry out of horseshoe bay and getting to rip up 6 lanes of empty highway
>>
>>13889338
Our speed limits have been retarded and inconsistent since forever man. And there's no plan to change it anytime soon, especially when they can campaign against it under the guise of "safety".

The gubmint loves their cash cows.
>>
>>13889308
People who live in lions bay have a fair amount of money and influence and probably got the limits lowered because of "muh chilluns"
>>
File: 1447183319026.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1447183319026.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
>>13889344
>NIMBYs.

Don't even get me started on those

>group starts up advocating to reopen Campbell valley raceway for a few races a year
>it gains quite a bit of traction
>a bunch of NIMBY's bitch about it even though there's a million other fucking parks they can go
>vancouver city council denys the request outright
>>
>>13889249
How fast can you go in Saskatchewan anyway? I like long straight line driving if I can book it.
>>
>>13889402
Same thing happened recently with the oval track at Langley Speedway. They had a car show/get together of everyone who was trying to get the track back open again that I went to. They had a bunch of circle track cars out to do some laps and it was a blast.

But nope, there's a horse riding place for rich people a km or two away, and we wouldn't want to risk offending the top 5% with faint engine noise a couple times a month.
>>
>>13889405
I'm also from Sask. In the area where I'm from it's almost always 100 km/h, rarely 110. Few cops though.
>>
File: 1434159885784.jpg (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1434159885784.jpg
36 KB, 500x500
>>13889402
>>13889426

Oh, I'm a dumbass, that's the same track
>>
>>13889428
What are laws like? In BC you can go 120 in a few places but going 40 over is instant impound trip.
>>
>>13889344
Just go through at the dead of night in first gear at 60kmh
>>
>>13889432
Aw shucks.

>>13889446
I routinely go above the speed limit, is that bad?
>>
>>13889466
Just limit yourself to no more than 39 over
>>
>>13889480
Fuck this expensive city
>>
>>13889405
>>13889428
Eyy, 306 represent.

Honestly, the only stupidly flat road is between Moose Jaw and Regina. As long as you arent speeding on the bridge or Belle Plain, it's pretty cop free. Anything outside of the #1 is also usually a straight shot
>>
File: IMG_20151011_095832.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2030) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151011_095832.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2030
>>13889032
Fraser Valley born reporting in. I spend a lot of time cruising around the mountains out here, especially around Chilliwack River Valley / Harrison Lake. If you're willing to drive out to Chilliwack (about an hour east of Vancouver) you'll never run out of roads to explore, absolutely beautiful out here. I'll dump some maps, photos, and info in replies.
>>
File: FordMountainLookout.png (124 KB, 1352x651) Image search: [Google]
FordMountainLookout.png
124 KB, 1352x651
>>13891610
Above pic is a lookout above Ford Mountain Prison in Chilliwack River Valley, not a big drive but a quick, easy, and rewarding one. A bit tough to find since it isn't visible on Google Maps, but basically you follow Chwk Lake Rd towards Chilliwack Lake, turn right onto an FSR just before the bridge of Chilliwack River (if you pass Foley Creek FSR on the left you've gone too far), follow along the right side of the river for a few minutes, turn right up the first windy road up the mountain, follow that road up (fairly steep in a couple parts, 4X4 recommended but not necessary in a truck with decent tires) for about 10 minutes, the trees will open up and you'll be driving along a cliff, Ford Mountain Prison and Chwk Lake Rd visible below, road ends at the lookout pictured above.
>>
File: IMG_20150629_115945.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1673) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150629_115945.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1673
>>13891610
Pic related is an area you can spend years exploring, I've revisited this area half a dozen times, for full days, and there's still so much to explore. Chehalis River Valley and the many forest service roads branching from and around it are all beautiful. It's such an elaborate network of mountain roads that you can literally drive from the bottom of Harrison Lake hundreds of kilometers North to Pemberton without leaving the mountains, I've never done it myself, but it's very common during Pemberton Music Festival.

This is the area I'd recommend to anyone from Vancouver looking to explore the mountains out here. The best starting point is at the Sasquatch Inn just over the bridge from Harrison Mills, the entrances to Chehalis FSR and Morris Valley Rd are here. Following Chehalis FSR to Chehalis Lake and then back to Sasquatch Inn is probably a 2 or 3 hour trip, I do this one a lot, it's quick, fairly easy, and beautiful, usually less busy than Morris Valley Rd too. Private lookouts, riverside campsites, and grottos all over the place.

If you're looking for a full day trip, following Morris Valley Rd from Sasquatch Inn to the edge of Harrison Lake, and then all of the way up the left side of Harrison Lake to Port Douglas (logging camp at North end of the lake) is a trip that sticks with you, the most beautiful drive I've ever known, views you remember for life. The kilometer markings make it fairly easy to follow, I think Kilometer 1 starts pretty close to the bottom of Harrison Lake and I think Port Douglas is around Kilometer 189 or something. Kilometer 1 - 50 is fairly easy, a 4X4 becomes necessary at some point around Kilometer 50, it's not super rough, but sometimes it gets steep with loose rocks. Tons of private beaches and campsites to rest at along the way. My father and I quadded / dirtbiked from the bottom up to Port Douglas and back in 5 hours once, but we were hauling ass, few breaks in between and no detours.
>>
>>13891702
Here's a very vague map of the Chehalis FSR and Morris Valley / Weaver Creek FSR trips. Impossible to get any significant detail zoomed out like this but it's necessary for the bigger picture and seeing everything relative to Harrison Lake. You can just GPS yourself from Vancouver to Sasquatch Inn, follow Morris Valley Rd around behind Sasquatch Inn, and then follow Morris Valley Rd for about 5-10 minutes, eventually it becomes a dirt road and starts winding upwards, and then your set, keep an eye out for kilometer markings and follow them, ask other people driving the road for directions towards Port Douglas every once in a while, if kilometer markings start resetting you know you've made an accidental detour. Harrison Lake is your guide, as long as you can see the lake to your right every once in a while you're going the right way. If you only have time for the Chehalis River Valley drive the road begins literally right next to Sasquatch Inn, heading north, it's dirt the entire way.
>>
File: GeneralMap.png (1 MB, 1352x653) Image search: [Google]
GeneralMap.png
1 MB, 1352x653
I don't have enough time for a detailed description of every spot so here's a general map of my favorite trips around Chilliwack, Harrison, and Hope. Not for directions, none of these squiggles are accurate, just for an idea of the general areas and their surrounding roads.

Chehalis Rivery Valley via Chehalis FSR:
Detailed above.

Port Douglas via Morris Valley Rd / Harrison Lake:
Detailed above.

Foley Creek Loop via Bench FSR:
This trip starts at the Vedder Bridge in Chilliwack, follows Chilliwack Lake Rd about halfway to Chilliwack Lake, branches left off Chilliwack Lake Rd just after the Foley Creek bridge, and then winds up into the mountains via Bench FSR, spitting you out near Ryder Lake where you can follow Elk View Rd. down the mountain back into Chilliwack via Prest Rd. I do this one almost once a month. Really fun drive, lots of windy mountain roads, great views of Chilliwack River Valley, lots of private campsites and lookout points.

Nesakwatch FSR and Center Creek FSR:
Both of these are accessed through the Riverside Campsite entrance heading south off Chilliwack Lake Rd, a little ways past the Foley Creek bridge. Enter Riverside camp and bypass the campsites by continuing south over the bridge. The road forks, going right takes you south down Nesakwatch FSR between Mt. Slesse and Mt. Rexford, toward the US border (this is the real Nesakwatch FSR, the Nesakwatch FSR on Google Maps is incorrect). There's a cool section where the trees open up on the right and you can see the bare rock face of Mt. Slesse across the valley with dozens of waterfalls pouring down the side. Going left after the Riverside camp bridge takes you east along Chilliwack River to another bridge, turn right after that bridge to go south along the other side of Mt. Rexford towards the US border. Both of these FSRs are eventually dead ends, but the drives are still great.
>>
>>13891985
This picture is near the end of Center Creek FSR, Mt. Rexford in the background.
>>
File: IMG_20150216_081415.jpg (382 KB, 1040x585) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150216_081415.jpg
382 KB, 1040x585
>>13891985
Somewhere along Chehalis FSR.
>>
File: IMG_20150927_103932.jpg (227 KB, 1040x585) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150927_103932.jpg
227 KB, 1040x585
>>13891985
Somewhere along the Foley Creek Loop, Bench FSR.
>>
>>13889084
This faggot drives a black pleb tier S2000. The yellow one is a bona fide CR, and it's owner is a pretty chill dude.
>>
>>13891610
>>13891638
>>13891702
>>13891727
>>13891985
>>13891996
>>13892011
>>13892030

Oh yeah, BC is full of FSR backroads and great places to explore like that.

I think OP is looking for toogay stuff though.
>>
>>13892130
Oh, shit. Mountain roads for car cruising? Can't help there, could just go for a rip down the Coquihalla to Merritt and back, as long is isn't winter it's usually a really nice drive but it's still a highway.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.