[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1985 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
This is my baby Marilyn shes a all original 85
Over the last 2 years of owning her I have some body/trim damage and some things that need to be redone on her thanks to a jealous ex GF's ex
So here is my question
I have about 10k to put into this car my primary concern is fixing cosmetic damage/rust a new vinyl and New Trans and Engine
The last step getting it media blasted
I'm knowledgeable about cars but is it worth it to invest my money into my baby or sell her and use the money as a whole to get a car that is already up to spec
any advice is appreciated
>>
I wouldn't invest in cosmetic repairs. Unless you never plan on selling it, you'll never get that money back.

I would however invest in a better engine. Pretty much any small block chebby is a direct swap.
>>
>>13886855
are you a nigger or a wetback?
>>
>>13886889
Engine Wise I was thinking a 350 Chevy small block supercharged
>>
Didn't really read your post OP, but nice Cutlass. Don't get rid of it

All I really want in life is to live the life of your typical white trash trailer park man. Late 80's Caprice, maybe a Mark VI, and a single cab longbed truck.
>>
I have to assume the car has some monumental sentimental value to you.

Otherwise, you're throwing money away on a car with little desirability
>>
>>13886897
Iol funny guy
This whole ride is original except the rims which are Krager ss(not nigger)idk why you would think I'm a nig or wetback When this car is still original I wasn't trying to lift it and put 20s on it
I'm white >>13886926
This isn't where I live its just a picture of my car after I first bought it
>>13886937
Maybe its because of where I live but every where I go people tell me they like my car or try to buy it off of me so it has desirability imo
>>
>>13886912
Supercharging isn't really necessary. You can get more than enough power out of a regular 350 with just heads, cam, Hi comp pistons, intake, and carb.
>>
>>13886950
>Maybe its because of where I live but every where I go people tell me they like my car or try to buy it off of me so it has desirability imo

again, are you a nigger or a wetback?
>>
>>13887130
I live in Michigan where people really take pride in older cars because of its past in the auto industry not saying niggers haven't offered to buy my car but its been mostly older white dudes
I asked a simple question and you keep repeating yourself
>>
>>13887202
so....nigger

definitely keep it and put all 10 grand into it
>>
File: 39048584001_large.jpg (149 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
39048584001_large.jpg
149 KB, 1024x768
>>
maybe do it like this nigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pul9CBGXfo
>>
File: nigger supreme.jpg (49 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
nigger supreme.jpg
49 KB, 575x431
this nigger seems to have a cool ride too
>>
File: 26447060009_large.jpg (91 KB, 750x562) Image search: [Google]
26447060009_large.jpg
91 KB, 750x562
okay, nigger kidding aside...

you only have four choices with that car...wetback lowrider, nigger donk, white trash hot rod....or just grandma's old car stock

In my useless opinion it's pointless to dump money that would result in any of those and I'd get one of these instead
>>
File: hickme.jpg (20 KB, 288x480) Image search: [Google]
hickme.jpg
20 KB, 288x480
>>13887278
Deff not Nigger me dressed as a hick
I want my car to be fast I'm not trying to make it look like it came off a episode of pimp my ride
I said cosmetic repairs
>>
>>13887356
so, white trash hot rod then?
>>
>>13886855
>I'm going to put 10k into my 85 Oldsmobile
Nigger detected
>>
>>13887383
I have 10k I can spend Didn't say I was going to spend it all on my Cutty
>>
getting back to the question. only go through with media blasting if you love the car and want to keep it. media blasting takes away all the dirt and filler and but you may find the car is rustier than you first thought. and rust should be fixed with steel not bondo.
bondo absorbs moisture and rots the areas out worse and falls off.

as for mechanical bits 350 2/4 bolt bits are easier to find than olds bits.

also do your homework. find out what a olds is worth in A+ condtion. and i hate to tell you they arent a rare car.
>>
File: cutlass.jpg (779 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
cutlass.jpg
779 KB, 1024x768
>>13886855

My friend has an 97 base Cutlass which he recently replaced the tranny and engine (307 -> 350)

Pic related
>>
>>13887446
Shit, I meant 87
>>
>>13887406
I'm aware this isn't a rare car and its not going to be worth much more then 10k even if I put that into it
The only similar car I can find in A+ condition is $10k(In Georgia) and it has 10k more miles on the engine then mine I'm at 52k but am swapping engines
>>13887446
I plan on swapping the shitty v8 307 out and putting in a Chevy 350
>>
Other pic
>>
File: 1447557829967.jpg (43 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1447557829967.jpg
43 KB, 600x450
>>13886855

Cosmetically what's wrong with it? Hard to tell from such a small photo.

I love G Bodies, but they're one of those cars that can really pull off not looking 100% fresh extremely well.

Not knowing anything about your car, here's what I would do.

>Fix any and all rust. G Bodies rust terrible. If there's any rust anywhere kill it fast so it doesn't spread. It's the number one killer of these cars (Well... that and minorities) I'd also remove the chrome rockers at the bottom as they trap moisture and cause rust.

>Engine swap - You've got so many options here. LS if you want to spend some cash and make it very fast. Keep the LS FI if you want impeccable daily drivability. Personally, I'd just go for a moderately built carb'd 350 and keep that badass sound. 90's LT1s are another budget option that a rarely see done. Saw a really nice LT1 swapped regal. IMO LT1's sound much better than LS1's but don't have near the same performance potential.

>Transmission - Can't go wrong with a turbo 350/400.

>Vinyl top - These are one situation where plastidip is great. Peel the vinyl covering off the top and dip over it. If the top isn't too bad, secure the loose edges and dip right over it. Personally, I don't like the tops too much, but removing them from G Bodies is a HUGE pain. G Bodies still had the tops installed from the factory and most people dont know this but they used different windows and window frames than not vinyl cars. Once the tops is removed, the windows actually extend past the body of the car and look terrible. This requires all kinds of retrofitting and fabrication to make the car look normal again.
>>
>>13887537
I don't have any current pics of the damage and weather is shit right now
The drivers side front quarter panel and trim got fucked up It has a hole underneath in a back wheel well that goes into the trunk
One of the doors is messed up and starting to rot so I plan on replacing both
Hood has some damage from crazy ex jumping on my hood and drop elbowing it when I was trying to leave
A substantial amount of surface rust
>>
>>13887631
sounds like you just need to find another 1985 cutlass suprememe
>>
>>13887721
I agree with this guy OP. As much as you don't want to hear it, it'd be a better idea to start with another Cutlass.
>>
>>13887721
>>13887778
The interior is a 9/10 and everything else is in awesome condition went and got a estimate for some things and the dude who restored older cars told me it needs work but is not in bad condition by any means If I do sell it I would most likely not be buying another Cutlass
>>
>>13887863
you have the money to burn

BURN IT!!!!
>>
Personally I'd sell it and use the money to buy and fix this thing up

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/5289987247.html
>>
or this

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/5316896627.html
>>
>>13887863
You can keep making excuses as long as you want, but everyone knows it would be a better idea to start with another car.
If you're keeping it for sentimental value then we understand, but don't tell us that fixing rust upon the other problems you have listed is going to be a better idea, because it's not.
>>
>>13887918
Its not like this car belonged to a family member or anything its just I would make me sad and I'd hate to sell it and it be niggered TF out like most of the time these cars are or just go to someone who lets it sit in their yard and go to shit for 10 years without touching it
I have the car up for sale atm and depending on what I'm offered will determine if I get a different car to work on or not
>>
>>13888093
It would make me sad*
>>
>>13888093
That would be your best option. Hope everything works out for you.
>>
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5274524671.html
Thinking of getting that bad boy
>>
File: Cutlass1.jpg (35 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
Cutlass1.jpg
35 KB, 600x398
I really regret selling my 84 Cutlass.
The 307 broke a connecting rod after about 1k miles of driving. Ended up building a mild Oldsmobile 350 to swap in. Most of the TH200 transmissions have the mounting holes on the bellhousing to accept a Chevy motor if you wanted to go that route.
I'm just a big BOP fan, so I wanted to keep it Rocket Powered.
>>
>>13888848
I should also add that if you swap in a different Olds smallblock, most of the components will be reusable on the larger engine. I saved a few bucks by running the original aluminum intake manifold from the 307 on my 350. The 2A(?) aluminum intake will perform just as well if not better than an aftermarket manifold.
>>
>>13886855
engine wise you may want to think about a Buick tarbo 6, better power than an equivalent gen corvette.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>13886855
All you need to do.
>>
I was looking at getting a gbody myself, specially an cutlass.

Is the rust that bad? I hate anything body-related, giant money pit. I'm looking at one with good body, but in need of a paint job badly.

Anybody have any experience with valspar implement/tractor paint?

I live in Houston, so we might not put down salt, but it gets plenty humid and floods.

Definitely disregarding all vinyl tops. Engine swap planned was a cammed/intake/carbs chevy big block.

Should be a cheap, fairly easy swap, (carb tuning will prob be biggest expense), should be good for low 13, high 12s?
>>
>>13890482
In my experience with GBodies i have gone to look at including my friend's here>>13887446
I haven't seen any rust.

He bought his without a vinyl, and so did I (about to rather), but most of them to have them

He did his swap at our school, which took 3 months, working on it every other week and money/parts made it quite long

That's all I know
>>
>>13890915
Cool, tell yr friend his cutlass is nice.

To my understanding, the big problem with bbc as opposed to sbc is the ac compressor mounts are on the opposite side of stock with bbc, so you have to buy/make a custom mount and/or electric aftermarket a/c

Would hate to sweat out a nice flying couch
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.