[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So say you have a track car, which has 17" wheels on it,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1385270567251.jpg (164 KB, 800x478) Image search: [Google]
1385270567251.jpg
164 KB, 800x478
So say you have a track car, which has 17" wheels on it, and would like to lower the final gear ratio easily, could you, in theory, put 16" wheels (provided they clear the brakes) on it with low profile tires to lower the final gearing, while reducing unsprung weight, while being able to easily swap back to normal wheels for driveability?

> tldr: pros/cons to putting smaller wheels with low profile tires on a track car provided they clear the brakes.
>>
your actual speed will be lower than your speedo indicates

get a smaller final gear you fucking kukold
>>
>>13886647
this would be on a track car, so those things wouldn't matter to me. Anything else?
>>
If you want to lower the top speed, you have to raise the final gear ratio or decrease the tire circumference, not lower the final gear ratio.
>>
>>13886638
Why do you even post with a trip? There is no point
>>
>>13886638
It would probably be a pointless gain

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=215&aspect=55&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7&offset=40&width2=225&aspect2=50&diameter2=16&wheelwidth2=8&offset2=20#content
>>
If you lower your tire overall tire size by lets say 5% then ABS may engage prematurely, traction control (pre-06 so you're not worried) may also do the same.

If you're looking for unsprung weight goals rims and brakes are the easy and obvious jerks to attack.

but you did phrase it wrong, Smaller tires/wheel combo would be equlivent to a higher final gear ratio.

Also since I know you live in the GTA, heres some food for thought

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/oakville-halton-region/2003-honda-s2000-convertible-irreparable-title/1102985208?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
>>13886666
thanks megasatan, I meant raise the final gearing, not lower.

>>13886641
but then I'd be fucked for highway driving. I'm already at almost 4k RPM in 6th at 120, and I don't have a way to trailer my car.

to me it seems like it would be worth it
> pros:
- lower unsprung weight
- higher final gearing
- can just swap back to normal wheels to fix gearing for daily driving

> cons:
- speedo/odo fucked (doesn't matter to me on track)

Things I'm unsure of:
tires will heat up faster due to less surface area(?)
suspension clearance (on double wishbone) would be an issue with trying to run wideish wheels(?) with a smaller diameter

>>13886678
because I get more replies from shitposters, thus, more legitimate answers from the non-shitposters. If the shitposters just didn't reply I wouldn't bother.

>>13886721
you are a god, thank you.
>>
>>13886736
>get smaller final gear
>get long as fuck 6th
>>
>>13886638
Why not just install a diff with the final gear ratio you want? Primo excuse for buying a really nice diff too.
>>
>>13886736
Can your brakes fit in the smaller wheels?
>>
Is there an industry norm for gears? Can you just swap any gear into a transmission? Or do you have to pray that at some point someone has manufactured gears with different ratios for your transmission model?
>>
>>13886721
Abs compares wheel speeds, so why would chaning all of the tires still cause abs problems
>>
>>13886754
the s2000 uses an aisin gearbox, which is shared with some rwd cars
>>
>>13886754
prayer always helps
>>
>>13886754
If you're changing the final gear ratio you wouldn't be changing the gears inside the transmission. There are plenty of aftermarket transmissions meant for racing with all sorts of gears to put in though or if your car is often used for spec racing you can be pretty sure someone's making a full set of gears.
>>
>>13886754
Final gear ratio is done through the differential Gearing, not the transmission gearing
>>
>>13886761
ABS has an internal standard it has to compare to. Lets say it can play with 5%, any more than that it kinda starts to go out of its parameters.

Braking 100% still shouldn't decelerate instantly sort of deal. Its true ABS does look at all 4 channels at once but if all of them decelerate too fast then ABS will automatically think its locking up instead of just stopping really well.

All of a sudden in corner 3 during braking you're having ABS engagement when you're not locking up making your braking sectors a little bit longer than you anticipated. But again, its a possibility.

>>13886745
Going out and buying OE rims and getting sticky tires is probably similar cost range of buying a Diff and a new gear-set. But fuck, taking out a diff and slapping that asshole in is a lot more work than just swapping tires before a track event.
>>
>>13886788
That doesn't make sense, if you were braking up a hill you will declarte a hell of a lot faster than down a hill. There are to many variables in drving conditions for that to make sense
>>
>>13886745
> "but then I'd be fucked for highway driving. I'm already at almost 4k RPM in 6th at 120, and I don't have a way to trailer my car."
the guys who run a 4.77 final are getting acceleration times and lap times similar to guys running around 300hp supercharged, but the tradeoff is that you sit around 5500rpm + on the highway, not to mention driving around town would involve shifting every 0.5 seconds.

>>13886744
I thought cost would have just been implied here. Removal + disassembly + reassembly of both the rear diff and transmission would not be cost effective, although I would love to do that. Also with the higher final, I might end up hitting 6th gear on the track, which I would actually need it at that point.

>>13886752
ya, stock OEM's are 16's, but with a pretty beefy sidewall. I was just thinking of getting some small sidewalls on them and fucking around like that. Only thing is that I would like to run wider than stock, instead of the OEM prius tires, but I might run into clearance issues with the suspension if I try to do that.

>>13886788
I already have the OEM 16's, so I would just need the tires. problem is my 17's are 255, and the 16's are 205/225.
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (34 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
34 KB, 240x320
>ABS on a track car
>>
>>13886803
You're thinking of traction control.
Look up what German DTM cars had back in the day.
>>
>>13886666
>>13886736

No you were right the first time

Lower=numerically higher.
>>
>>13886803
Ok senna, now tell us about how you can out-brake your ABS system.
>>
>>13886736
>buy trailer
>tow your k swapped miat to the track with your scubaru
Das it mane
>>
OP the only advantage I see is if youre going from some stupid heavy 20" chrome wheels to light weight 15s with track tires.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.