[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/o/ Design Group
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
File: Untitled.png (41 KB, 1916x929) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
41 KB, 1916x929
Hey /o/. I want to see if there is interest in making a design group here for CAD and stuff that is automotive related. I use Google Sketchup to design parts for my car that I then 3D print and I was wondering how many of you do the same.

I made a Google Drive for us thats open to those with the link. No mischief please.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxrUVdvWxoWvMHBON092MFRycVk&usp=sharing

I already have a rough deisgn of a 2 cylinder boxer engine I might possibly make in the future to use in a motorcycle or something.
>>
File: BBB.jpg (360 KB, 1320x1546) Image search: [Google]
BBB.jpg
360 KB, 1320x1546
I.. Design robots.

Let me know if you guys need turret or retracting weapon systems on your vehicles I guess..
>>
>>13885127
thats fuggin cool

how long does it take to do that? Do they work?
>>
>>13885127
that top one looks kinda like that mech from hawken
>>
here's a 9 blade fan I drew up real quick. No flow testing or anything but it looks like it should work.
>>
File: turbine.png (36 KB, 1916x929) Image search: [Google]
turbine.png
36 KB, 1916x929
>>13885153
sorry here is the pic
>>
File: BoobsComplete.jpg (446 KB, 1568x1344) Image search: [Google]
BoobsComplete.jpg
446 KB, 1568x1344
>>13885135
Top has about a months worth of work and is incomplete because mechanically complex and I need to proof test a lot of the shit on the legs before I commit to the design, bottom left happened after watching "short circuit" again last month and remembering how much I loved that robot; this has about two weeks in it so far after, bottom right and pic related took 4 months (including working out where the electronics would go after working out the electronics) and, pending any changes from real world prototyping, is ready to build.

>>13885144
I was thinking Timber Wolf BattleMech, but I kinda see it.

>>13885156
Not bad at all, I struggle like a motherfucker with curves in sketchup which is why my designs are polygon based (apart from the fact this will make the metalworking for the outer shell much easier). How did you extrude out the blades?

Totally legit though, I would love to automate some show cars and turn them into rolling battlemechs, I have always fancied the idea of a ratrod meets "alien" universe coupe, complete with the giger-esq vibe, and bristling with all sorts of crazy looking weapons and systems. I would have deep fried my left nut to work on the Mad Max set.
>>
>>13885119
If you were to design a modern el Camino , what would it look like?
>>
> not deleting guides before you save

What are these all about OP?
>>
>>13885188
Damn son thats commitment. If you need anything printed in PLA or ABS plastic I am your man.

Curves aren't really. I start off with a flat 2d surface and then draw the outline of the airfoil with it. basically just make a half circle for the leading edge and then the 2 point arc to taper it down into a curved teardrop shaped. I'm oversimplifying wing deisgn a bit with that statement, but that's usually how they are designed, just fit your specs. Anyway I just extrude out that curve to my final desired length and then play with the rotate and scale tools on the end surface. I'm uploading a removable piece that has a christmas tree fitting that fits into the rotor housing. That way the blades are replaceable.
>>
File: Capture1.jpg (62 KB, 839x386) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.jpg
62 KB, 839x386
>>13885203
I was going to post the not torn down pic of this but forgot to attach, but hey, while we're here..

>>13885204
The curved surface i'm referring to is highlighted. I'm guessing it started with two arcs at either end, but how did you close and fill that surface?
>>
>>13885198
I will work on that

>>13885215

I started off with that bottom portion of the wing already like that, with the concavity and all. that flat side part of that tubular body where the wings connect is where I drew the initial template for the wing surface. I then pulled it out and everything was a solid wing from that point. If you mean how did I get rid of the polygon-ness? I use the the smooth/soften tool when you right click on something with the select cursor.
>>
File: based.jpg (276 KB, 1960x646) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
276 KB, 1960x646
>>13885234
>If you mean how did I get rid of the polygon-ness?
That's exactly what I meant.

> I use the the smooth/soften tool when you right click on something with the select cursor.
Which I had never heard of or seen referenced in any tutes I have seen. Fucking mint. Please provide a fax number immediately so I can send you a case of beer.
>>
>>13885271
LMAO glad to help. I'm underage anyway and I don't want to bother with a VPN :P

The documentation of Sketchup isn't very good to be honest. The only videos I see on youtube are a bunch of foreigners I can't understand speaking through a piece of cardboard. It's really one of the reason's why I made this thread.
>>
I uploaded some more files to the drive. The new modular rotor and the new blades,
>>
>>13885298
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I accidentally saved the rotor incorrectly and lost it

oh well it took me five minutes anyway
>>
>>13885271
Oh and just as a word of caution. I don't know if they would still print smoothly even if you do use the smooth tool. It's just an aesthetic thing I think. The dimensions would still be angular if you were to say CNC it or print it or something, so take that into account. I will do some testing later to see if this is true or not.
>>
File: IMAG2081.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2081.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>13885316
No biggie, its purely so the renders look good, especially with some of the tin toys I want to make. Hard to make proportion calls when there are lines fucking everywhere. Everything else is hand assembled tin and brass, so as I say, polygons are fine.
>>
>>13885343
wow that looks intricate, what is it for?

Is that solder for electronics or a structural solder that you use?
>>
Oh I also mean't to ask if there is anyone on /o/ that has experience designing combustion chambers. I want to finish the head on that engine I was talking about and I could really use some input as to what kind of valve arrangement and quench area I needed. Piston is 80mm. I would do the calculations for this myself but I can't find any formula's for this shit.
>>
>>13885367
Here's my idea for the engine by the way.
Coolant flows in a closed loop system inside the block, head, and oil pan, bring the heat from the inside core of the motor to the outside of the motor, essentially using the block and head as a radiator. The oil pan would have channels inside the walls of it that coolant would flow through, lowering the temperature of the oil and the coolant at the same time.

I haven't done any math or simulation to prove this, but I also am guessing that this would significantly reduce temperatures compared to an air cooled engine of this type, say a porsche or something.

I really want to build a simple, modular, small, and open-source motor with the community. I want to design everything so that it's able to be CNC'd out of aluminum. Everything will be custom aluminum except for the consumables like rings and bearings. I also want the pumps to be electric and not connected to the motor in any way other than the in and out lines. This way, the rotating mass of the motor is at a bare minimum and we won't have to worry about things like cracked oil ring gears and the like. The goal is to make a turbo 2 cylinder boxer style engine that makes at least 100 horsepower from 500cc.
>>
>>13885127
Please show me more robots
I enjoy them greatly
>>
File: araba01.png (34 KB, 963x452) Image search: [Google]
araba01.png
34 KB, 963x452
>>13885119
>>
I've had some ideas in my head for a bit, I'll try and make em when I get home this afternoon.
>>
>>13885498
I made this when I had too much free time and usedSketchup. Now I don't have much free time and I use Solidworks.
>>
File: araba02.png (56 KB, 828x459) Image search: [Google]
araba02.png
56 KB, 828x459
>>13885525
Forgot pic
>>
do my homework: the movie, the game, the thread

Fuck off.
>>
>>13885668
What? No. This is purely for the community. Who the hell would try to get /o/ to do their homework for them?

Still not sure what your trying to say exactly though, your english is terrible.
>>
>>13885525
I want to get solidworks but it's so expensive. I don't know if I could get get it through my college or not either.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.