[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently bought a 1979 240D. The car was certified and the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: mercedes-benz-240d-3.jpg (279 KB, 891x471) Image search: [Google]
mercedes-benz-240d-3.jpg
279 KB, 891x471
So I recently bought a 1979 240D. The car was certified and the dude drove it for like 3 hours to sell to me. I just recently tried to start it and the engine turned over, but only for like 5 seconds and then a ton of diesel smell (I think it was diesel anyway) came from it and the engine shut off. I tried started it a few more times with a longer glow plug time and it didn't turn over at all. Any hints as to what could be causing the problem?
>>
Try charging the battery
>>
>>13883707
Battery
>>
>>13883726
>>13883736
Will give it a shot,thought the battery was fine since the radio and the lights were fine. I'll update the thread if it's still fucked after. Thanks
>>
>>13883751

Those take very little power compared to an engine starting, and especially a diesel

If it does the same after a fresh charge then I'd look into getting a new battery
>>
>>13883760
Battery is only a month old, the guy even had the receipt for it. Trying it out in the morning. Hoping it is just the battery at worst because I love the look both inside and out of the car.
>>
>>13883795

If you get it running you should run a small test with a multimeter to see wether or not you're actually getting a charge from the alternator or not
>>
>>13883810
Perfect will do, thanks! I was worried, never had a diesel before.
>>
The glow plugs might be fucked, they only last a certain amount of time and the fact that the guy drove a long way to show you it implies that he knew it was a pig to start from cold so he would want to show you it when hot.

They're not expensive to replace but you may want to check the voltage at the glowplug terminals when the engine is cold before replacing them
>>
>>13883888

Wouldn't prevent it from turning over tho, but its next on the list of things I'd check
>>
>>13883888
How long do they usually last? Guy had new ones put in last year. He had receipts from all the shit he did to it but wouldn't be surprised if something was fucked.
>>
>>13883968
Nvm just googled it and I guess it is one of those that could last forever or fuck up in a week. Just sucks because I've only driven the thing for a couple hours and was just going to get a new paint job done to it tomorrow.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.