[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm New to This Shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
I have a DMV appointment on the third to get my permit and I have 530 dollars put away on my PayPal for my first car. I *can* be patient and save up till I can have like a 2000 dollar budget or some shit, but I'm an impatient sunovabitch. There are no good deals on Craigslist right now and I've found these two cars on Ebay:

1997 El Dorado
http://ebay.to/1MlqCmR

1986 Toyota Tercel
http://ebay.to/1SXcnXI

tl;dr Convince me to either keep saving or buy one of these cars. I'm in a rock and a hard place here.

pic kinda unrelated, one of muh carfus.
>>
Any car you buy for $500 will need thousands of dollars in work in its immediate lifetime. There is no fucking double about that. 2k-3k is the prime spot to be able to find a well maintained, non POS car, that you don't need to put so much money into.

Really, buy a $500 car and put in 2k-5k in repairs.
>>
Save up for 2000. 530 dollars gets you the most piece of shit there is on craigslist, or something that does run which will cost money to get it running. With 2000 you can atleast get a car that runs.
>>
I know that's the general rule of thumb, but you guys did look at the ads I linked, right?
>>
>>13883194
bruv they're both shit
>>
>>13883166
what you save on sticker price you'll likely end up paying in maintenance, I'd save up a grand to 1500 dollars for a decent shitbox personally. Get one with good mpg
>>
>>13883201
Ok, who am I to question the word of the wise users of /o/?

Um, idk, used car advice general, then?
>>
>>13883194
You could find ads that are equally sugared up on craigs list. The description doesn't mean anything, but if you're certain, visit the cars and take the OP test and see for yourself.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If they're 100% fine, then why are they being sold for $500 and why has no one bought them? If you're confident, go see the car and see for yourself.
>>
>>13883166
Corolla
>>
Trust me anon. I did that with my first car and it was a 95' civic. It was an absolute shitbox that cost me $800. I had to buy a new wiring harness, entirely new brake system, and a new fuel pump. That alone cost me more than what I paid for the car. 2 grand is a good base sum to get started with and need little repairs.
>>
>>13883166
Ready the fucking sticky, you're not some special snowflake.
>>
>>13883166
Save up the 2 grand. It'll be better in the long run. The Tercel will have trouble keeping up with traffic, and that Cadillac, especially at that price, is going to be an expensive to fix basket case. ESPECIALLY if the Northstar V8 needs the headgaskets replaced.
>>
Buy a Honda with a good chassis and a blown motor. You can buy a new/better motor for a few hundred dollars.

Plenty of guys out there selling otherwise upgraded and modified examples, but was stupid one day and blew the motor and cant afford to throw anymore money into their project.

Seriously, i've purchased a lot of cars this way. Honda's are best because motors are cheap and plentiful, and still capable of fun.

A JDM B20B engine costs $300-400.
>>
>>13885623
>B20B
>JDM

Get the fuck out of here
>>
>>13883166
Just save up and buy a civic
>>
>>13883194
Those are auctions and not going to sell anywhere near the $500 you have.
>>
File: ir208crv3.jpg (118 KB, 1024x538) Image search: [Google]
ir208crv3.jpg
118 KB, 1024x538
>>13885623
Whil I approve of the larger B20 engine, there is no difference between the USDM B20B and the JDM B20B besides the emissions controls.
Just get a USD B20 from a CR-V, preferable 1999-2001
>>
I have that exact tercel in 4spd manual. No complaints, but they do require a lot of maintenance since they're old and cheap. It'd be like buying a versa in the 2030s. Good cars if they're maintained but they need more than you would think.

I got mine in almost new condition but it still has cost me over a thousand since I got it.
>>
I can almost guarantee the person selling that eldorado has the reserve set way too high. I sold mine which was absolutely fucken mint, loaded with every option for like 5k. Didnt look like a greasy fucker had driven it like that one does, and it had about half the miles.
>>
>>13883194
Yes
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.