[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is that incredibly braking power of semis only because they have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: wat.webm (545 KB, 450x206) Image search: [Google]
wat.webm
545 KB, 450x206
is that incredibly braking power of semis only because they have all that traction through weight and more wheels?
>>
>>13880258
You know they can drift these right?
people underestimate how amazing these things handle
>>
Would Touge/10
>>
>inb4 people making fun of mustangs compared to this semi
>>
>>13880267
>drifting trucks

lolwut
>>
Old tractor trailers have the braking distance of a loaded coal train

New ones have ABS discs that will almost help them stop while loaded like a normal car. I imagine having a brake on every wheel of every axle helps a great deal.
>>
File: 1402343214236.jpg (60 KB, 560x700) Image search: [Google]
1402343214236.jpg
60 KB, 560x700
>>13881540
>has never thrown the rear end out in a uhaul with dat shitty triton
>>
>>13881564
If a truck really needed to brake faster they could just depress the brakes, engage parking brakes, engage engine braking and retarder.

Euro truck 2 pro here.
>>
File: DSC_7641.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7641.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2000
>>13881540
It's a sport.
>>
File: 1409949826745[1].webm (965 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1409949826745[1].webm
965 KB, 640x360
>>13880258
your new is showing
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13880258
That's sketchy.

But air brakes make a huge difference.
Most trucks still have drum brakes too, so that is a lot of force being applied to stop all of that weight. I'm sure the large contact patch from 18 tires doesn't hurt either.

Fun fact: an empty semi truck actually has a harder time braking than one that is moderately loaded. Whem you hit the brakes hard with an empty trailer, the rear wheels lock up very easily. And when the lock up, the trailer almost wants to overtake the tractor and jacknife. So when you finally come to a stop, the tractor and trailer won't be in a straight line. The trailer will drift to the right or left. Most trucks these days have ABS, but it doesn't work worth a damn (esoecially on the trailer). The fact that air brakes take longer to respond compared to hydraulic probably fucks with the ABS. There is a slight delay between hitting the brake pedal and the brakes working.
>>
>>13881592
>depress brakes and engage parking brakes

Heh ok, have fun with that.
>>
>>13881615
>Rear axle steering
>>
>>13881592
lol
>>
>>13881615
Majestic.
>>
>>13880258
>that incredibly braking power of semis
I have had semi trucks lock up tires, trailing smoke from them in front of me and out-decelerated them with engine braking alone on my motorcycle.
>>
>>13882455
Read >>13881633

When the trailer is empty, the trailer tires can lock up under even moderate braking. The suspension and brakes are both designed to operate best with 50k lbs of weight on them. When the trailer is empty and there is barely any weight on the trailer axles, the brakes grip way too hard and the trailer tires will just start skidding and hopping. And between shitty or no ABS, 110psi tires, and the slow reaction time of air brakes, it is kinda hard to stop the lock-up. Pumping air brakes isn't like pumping standard hydraulic brakes.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.